06/09/2022

The New Classics #17: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift

 

 

The Backstory: Another SRPG recommended by my fellow gamer Sieg, and yet another last chance at the genre. FFTA2 also happens to be one of the very first RPGs I purchased for my brand-new DS, back in 2012; and just like Tactics Ogre, it remained untouched for a good ten years. Now FFTA2 got it chance to shine, and we’ll see if it did. 

 


 

The Game: Oh gosh, that game is absolutely splendid. I could honestly stare at these gorgeous graphics all day; the very first foe, that big fat birdie, left me gaping at the screen with stars in my eyes. I was also really fond of the uber-fast start, which catapulted my MC straight into a red-hot battle after a short and sweet introductory cutscene.

 


 

Actually, take that back: ‘red-hot’ is not exactly the appropriate word. More like not at all, really. Combat is slow as molasses even slower than Tactics Ogre, which was already painfully slow. As much as I love the graphics and overall atmosphere, I just cannot stand that sluggish gameplay. 

 


 

The Verdict: No suspense here, FFTA2 and I are not meant together. I’m honestly a bit sad; but given that I already had trouble reaching the end of the first battle, there is no way in heck I can stomach more of them just to get some eye-candy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment