12/09/2022

The New Classics #22: 13 Sentinels – Aegis Rim

 



The Backstory: ‘Chaotic’ is an apt word to describe 13 Sentinels’ release journey. The initially planned Vita release was cancelled by Atlus in 2018, and the game remained a PS4 exclusive until it suddenly appeared on the Switch two months ago. The question is: was it worth the wait, and the pinning for? 

 


 

The Game: I quickly noticed something I was not aware of: namely, that 13S is a mix of Visual Novel and RTS. More precisely, it’s a VN with chunks of RTS fighting, which means that the story is the primary focus. That shouldn’t be a problem given that I love VNs; however, it ended up being a big problem indeed.

 


 

The VN segments’ gameplay instantly bothered me. See, I rant every now and then about the lack of interactivity in modern gaming, and about how games shouldn’t forget to give the player agency; and well, it’s like Vanillaware heard my rants and translated them way too literally. To advance the plot, you have to: a) walk around and talk to people, b) check keywords obtained in dialogue through a dedicated menu, and c) talk to the same people again to get more dialogue and keywords rinse and repeat. This gameplay loop feels forced and unintuitive, and it comes across as more tedious than empowering.  

 


 

I had another, bigger problem: the atmosphere and story didn’t click with me at all. See, I love Vanillaware’s signature style as a rule; but 13S’ crepuscular graphics and vistas failed to please my retinas. I’ve seen enough school settings in games to be completely blasé about them; and the few narrative developments I witnessed didn’t whet my appetite. 

 


 

13S’ combat sessions are perfectly competent and could have single-handedly salvaged the game that is, if I actually fancied RTS. Recent experiences prove that I don’t; and so, 13S’ destiny is pretty much set.  

 


 

The Verdict: We’re talking about a game that reaped the enviable total of 88 on Metacritic, with universal acclaim and scores ranging from 70 to 100; and yet, that game left me cold, which proves one more time that my gaming instinct is the only compass I need. Since I read here and there that the story is amazing, I went and spoiled myself; and now, I don’t need to touch 13S ever again!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment