13/09/2022

The New Classics #23: Neptunia x Senran Kagura – Ninja Wars

 


The Backstory: This is a complete case of ‘shut up and take my money’. A crossover between two series I adore had to join my precious collection upon release, and had to be played as soon as I got my greedy paws on it!  

 


 

The Game: Knowing both series, there is certainly a ludicrous and over-the-top story to justify the mix; however, I skipped cutscenes like it was going out of fashion to get to the gameplay. I was introduced to a sabre-wielding Neptune wearing Senran Kagura apparel and to a gorgeous atmospheric dungeon, which was already pleasant enough; but then I started to play, and there was no turning back.

 


 

Look, that game is the pinnacle of ARPG-meets-Hack’n’Slash. Perfect physics, perfect controls, perfect feel; it couldn’t be sleeker, faster and sharper if it were directly connected to my brain. The game offers an Easy Mode that is just tailor-made for lazy little me see, I love my ARPG on the swift and smooth side, with quick fulfilment and no carpal tunnel syndrome. Handling Neptune felt deliciously effortless and amazingly intuitive, both in and out of combat; I knew right after five minutes of running and slashing around that I wanted to play much, much more of NxSK

 


 

Such gameplay perfection was neither granted to guaranteed, mind you. Real-time combat in a 3D game world can easily get hairy for a million reason bad camera management, crappy aiming or wobbly hitboxes, to quote only a few. But NxSK manages not only to avoid these pitfalls, but also to deliver some of the most brilliant and dazzling gameplay I’ve ever been treated to. You did it again, Compile Heart! 

 


 

I didn’t push forward much after that, because I didn’t need any more convincing; however, the little I discovered after that deadly special skills, convenient aiming, gorgeous animations — only served to convince me impossibly more. I just cannot wait to handle more characters, fight more, and discover the story as a bonus!

 


 

The Verdict: No surprise here, NxSK is an instant New Classic. No need to further elaborate next please!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment