11/09/2022

The New Classics #21: Record of Lodoss War – Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

 


The Backstory: I have a strange relationship with the Lodoss War series. It was one of very few manga titles available in Europe in the mid-’90s; yet for some reason, I never managed to get my paws on it. It was also my first introduction to the Elf kind, long before I tackled The Lord of The Rings and my, what an introduction that was! Deedlit is easily one of the most recognizable Elves in the manga/anime realm, despite not being the main character of Lodoss. Although I never got into the series, I couldn’t ignore its mystique; and when Deelit in Wonder Labyrinth appeared, I knew I had to buy it. Yes, it’s a Platformer, and a Metroidvania to boot; but my gaming instinct claimed it, and there’s no discussing the gaming instinct’s decisions. 

 


 

The Game: Oh, boy. Are you kidding me, Ladybug? DWL boasts some of the best physics and controls I’ve ever encountered in a Platformer or in any game, for that matter. I kid you not: the appropriation was instantaneous. Within seconds of first handling the titular Elf, I had her whirling around like I’d done that my whole life. The controls and physics are so perfect and impossibly intuitive than the mere action of moving Deedlit around is enough to make me happy.

 


 

Of course, the game offers plenty of other things that make me happy. Lovingly pixelated looks, engrossing atmospheric soundtrack, stimulating puzzles, combat you never get bored of; and, last but not least, epic boss fights. Look, my first boss battle in DWL had me hooked right from the first second.

 


 

First, the mammoth boss sprite left me gaping at the screen; then, the perfectly handled boss attack patterns made me beam in sheer joy; and finally, the whole boss fight had me enraptured and left me fulfilled like few other boss fights before it. It was the purest essence of what a Platformer boss showdown should be: a fight where you can use all of your MC’s abilities without feeling forced to, a fight where your reflexes and motor skills are challenged every second without ever being overstrained. I honestly cannot wait to discover more bosses or more of the game, for that matter. 

 


 

The Verdict: It’s not often I have a crush on a Platformer; but when I do, I usually fall hard. And heck, I fell real, real hard for DWL. I certainly didn’t expect that game to be so incredible but I’m not gonna complain, am I? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment