05/09/2022

The New Classics #16: Tactics Ogre

 


The Backstory: Tactics Ogre was the very first game I purchased for my brand-new PSP, way back in 2013. I remember everything: how I spotted that game in the appliance store and thought the cover art looked insanely neat and tempting, how I secured the thing and went back home, happy to have started my PSP collection… And how I left the game untouched for nearly 10 years after that. Mind you, it would have stayed untouched for even longer if not for my fellow gamer Sieg’s prompt to play it; now the deed is done, and here come my impressions.


 

The Game: Not gonna lie, the art and character design are pure eye-candy. Indecently and jaw-droppingly gorgeous would be closer to the truth; Yasumi Matsuno sure masters his craft, and knows how to make a gamer swoon and drool over a mere picture. However, I’m not one to play an RPG just to gaze as character portraits, no matter how splendid they are. So, how does the story fare?

 

 

Pretty well, shall I say. We sure have a deep and engaging story there: I can spot from afar meaty character development, complex relationships and intricate politics by the truckload. It might actually be a tad too convoluted of a story for me, as I got a bit lost already in the early stages; but I’m confident I could follow it if I put my mind to it. Now, I’m not one to play an RPG just to follow a story, no matter how fascinating it is. So, how does the gameplay fare?

 


 

Oh boy, oh boy. Let’s be honest here: everything unravelled right from the first battle. Why, oh why, does fighting need to be so painfully slow? I realised I’ve been seriously spoiled by Fire Emblem and its quality-of-play accelerating options and resulting fast-paced battles, and that I just cannot stand to watch combat progress at molasses-like speed. I was already screaming for mercy by the end of the first fight, and I couldn’t imagine going through another one let alone another 50. 

 


 

The Verdict: I gave Tactics Ogre an honest try, and it boasted some goodness I genuinely loved; however, this is definitely not the game that will save the genre for me. I’m a bit sad, because I would have loved to adore my first PSP game; but this will be a Game Boy case instead. At least, I won’t force Tactics Ogre on myself and let it scar me for life like friggin’ Super Mario Land and so: thank you, next! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment