20/09/2022

The New Classics #26: Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists

 



The Backstory: That Atelier spinoff got a lot of flak for straying from the series’ classic formula and for being too simple and repetitive. I personally have no issue with a spinoff not emulating its series’ core gameplay — I mean, that’s the very point of spinoffs — especially when said series happens to be Atelier. As for simple and repetitive gameplay, I like it as a rule — providing that the loop is satisfying. And anyway, my gaming instinct claimed Nelke despite the lukewarm reviews, and that’s the only reason I need to play a game.

 


 

The Game: Atelier fan service for the faithful is the name of the game here, as Nelke stars a coterie of famous alchemists from all entries and their sidekicks. I wouldn’t notice this, though, because: a) I skipped all cutscenes, and b) the number of Atelier games I’ve played can still be counted on the fingers of one hand. I have to question the logic of that decision, though: is a spinoff the best place to pay homage to a series by bringing its full cast? Why not create a dedicated celebratory game starring the whole crew and the trademark Atelier gameplay? The way I see it, Nelke is trying to appeal to Atelier aficionados with its cast, while shooting itself in the foot with a gameplay that is bound to sit poorly with any long-time Atelier fan.  

 


 

Talking about the gameplay, reviews led me to believe that exploration was entirely automatic, with no input whatsoever from the player. Well, I’m glad and relieved to tell you that it’s not (entirely) the case. Foraging is now automatic: instead of scouring every corner of wild areas, you watch your crew run on a path and pocket stuff at random. I can understand the ire of Atelier fans, and why such a departure from the classic formula would feel like complete heresy; however, I must admit that new style doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I actually like it: it’s fast, efficient and synthetic the Atelier basics in a nutshell.

 


 

Combat, on the other hand, is still fully controlled by the player. You can imagine how overjoyed I was, as fighting is one of my favourite features in Atelier games; but then again, I understand how Atelier fans could be royally pissed off. So you keep something that appears in basically every RPG under the sun, yet you oust something that is intrinsic to the Atelier formula? Weird choice indeed, Gust. 

 


 

But then again, we’re technically not dealing with an Atelier game. It’s not called ‘Atelier Nelke’, but simply ‘Nelke’; and Nelke is not an alchemist, she’s an urban developer-meets-mayor. The player walking in her snug boots is supposed to organise everything and assign tasks to lackeys helpers, rather than do the deed themselves. This gives Nelke’s gameplay a dry, nearly abstract quality very reminiscent of management games; yet the sheer speed and slickness of the gameplay loop screams ‘phone game’. All in all, Nelke is a weird mix, a game that doesn’t know which audience it wants to grab now, does it grab me

 


 

The Verdict: Well, colour me surprised: I actually like that game! My gaming instinct is playing smug and chuckling ‘I told you so!’; but honestly, I wasn’t so convinced at first. I won’t claim I had the mightiest crush on Nelke; but I certainly like it enough to hold onto it and play more of it later.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment