10/09/2022

The New Classics #20: Seven Pirates H

 


The Backstory: The Genkai Tokki series is a weird beast; I’m not sure I fully grasp the way it operates, but here’s what I’m sure about. Felistella and/or Compile Heart are always involved one way or another; the series explores several RPG subgenres through dedicated threads; and, last but not least, each and every entry proudly boasts outrageous amounts of fan service. Another thing I know is that these games ooze charm despite being technically imperfect, and that I’ve tried to secure as many of them as I could over the years. I was pretty miffed the original Seven Pirates entry never made it to our shores; so when the sequel graced the Switch with English included, I immediately pounced. Shut up and take my money, Compile Heart! 

 


 

The Game: You know, I just love when games go straight to the point and let you play early on; and boy, did 7PH humour me indeed. After a skippable introductory cutscene, I was let loose in the game world, free to slaughter respawnable foes to my heart’s content. Oh, the absolute joy! Once I was sated, I proceeded to advance the game; a mere hour later, I knew all the main gameplay mechanics and had more than half of my crew recruited. Now that is some serious speedy efficiency, folks. 

 


 

Going fast is all well and nice, but how does the gameplay fare? Pretty well indeed. The gameplay loop is simple, yet quite complete and addictive. On top of tiny dungeons à la Hyperdimension Neptunia and basic turn-based combat with (beautifully animated) super-skills, the game offers side quests, harvesting and crafting options and, last but not least, the series’ trademark a fan-servicey stat-raising feature! There is also a story in there although I wouldn’t know, because I dutifully skipped all cutscenes. I may well follow the thing once I play the game for real, though; Moe Chronicle’s pervy story turned out to be surprisingly thoughtful and touching, so maybe 7PH’s story packs some pleasant surprises as well.

 


 

One thing I didn’t expect from that game, and got nonetheless, is a modicum of strategic depth. The very first boss battle which happens roughly five minutes after starting the game, en passant is hardly winneable unless you unleash your super skill. Said super skill becomes available one the associated gauge reaches 200; the best course of action is thus to fill up the gauge to roughly 190 through random battles before proceeding to the boss fight. It’s a simple trick, yet quite rewarding. With extra party members come more strategic choices. Like, should you have the whole crew gang up on the boss, or should you let only one or two units attacks while the rest defends, in order to rack up points for triggering super skills? It all boils down to your playing style, really. 7PH seems to be an easy game, as fan-servicey titles should be as far as I’m concerned; I may be wrong, but I don’t think this game will ever punish you for not sticking to a very precise course of action.

 


 

Last but not least, 7PH is a heart-warming game. Not only is it visually appealing, with its bright and vibrant colours, but it’s also lively, saucy and zesty. It doesn’t take itself too seriously, and it’s obviously intent on making the player happy; I love such intentions, and I’d be more than enjoy some quality time with 7PH

 

 


The Verdict: I had an inkling I was going to love that game; however, I didn’t anticipate how friggin’ much I would love it. We absolutely have a New Classic on our hands, folks! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment