05/11/2022

The New Classics #52: Atelier Sophie 2 – The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream

 



The Backstory: Atelier entries are usually standalone games, with only three of them getting a direct sequel starring the same MC so far. Sophie is the third one, after Iris on the PS2 and Ryza on the Switch. Why Sophie and not any other entry, I wonder; but as I enjoyed the original game, I’m certainly not gonna complain.

 


 

The Game: Giving Sophie 2 the New Classic treatment was actually more a mere formality than a real test. As I said, I love the original game; and I don’t doubt for a second that I will love Sophie 2 just as much, if not more. Playing it was just a matter of testing the waters, and finding out if I enjoyed the setting and introductory mechanics.

 


 

I couldn’t find much about the latter, because Sophie 2 features a lengthy, non-skippable intro. I could have been pissed off, if not for two important details. For one, the story is actually quite promising, with mysteries by the truckload right of the bat and a tried-and-tested isekai formula that piqued my curiosity. For another, that intro gave me a glorious sneak peek one of the most impossibly gorgeous game worlds I’ve ever had the joy of gazing at.

 


 

I’ll say it: Erde Wiege (Earth Cradle, if Google Translate is to be trusted) is totally one of the main reasons I’ll play Sophie 2. These impossibly bright and lush shades of green enraptured my retinas and pierced my gamer’s soul like no other videogame colour palette since the oceanic blues in Ecco the Dolphin. And mind you, it’s not only a matter of colours; I’ve seldom seen a game world as vibrant and alive as Erde Wiege. Yet at the same time, it has a dreamy, elusive, nearly unreal quality that perfectly fits the game’s overall theme of dreams and parallel universes. Crafting a game world or any work of fiction, for that matter that feels like a dream is no easy feat; yet Gust pulled off that tour de force with gusto. 

 


 

The Verdict: I adore Sophie 2’s setting indeed; and although I have yet to discover combat, foraging and alchemy, I have no doubt I’m going to enjoy them as well. New Classic, yet please! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment