01/11/2022

The New Classics #50: Nights of Azure 2 – Bride of the New Moon

 



The Backstory: Another graceful and subtly fan-servicey offering from Gust, of Atelier and Blue Reflection fame. I was miffed that the first one remained a PS4 exclusive on our shores, to the point where I actually imported the Japanese Vita version to get a taste of the series. I shouldn’t have bothered or maybe it’s good that I did: because if that second entry is worth the New Classic title, then I’ll definitely want to play the first. 

 


 

The Game: I had virtually forgotten all the Yoru No Nai Kuni art I saw over the years; but I was quickly reminded of it upon diving into NoA2. Like, there was that special edition featuring the crew feeling each other up, and… But I digress: what I wanted to say is that the yuri is strong with that series. But while it’s blatant in the side art, the game itself handles the yuri-ness in a much more subtle, delicate, nearly romantic way. It’s all a matter of tell-tale looks, well-chosen dialogues and facial expressions, and generally instilling some potent erotism while not showing anything untoward. I swear I found myself nearly blushing at times; some otome out there could definitely take a leaf from NoA2’s book. 

 




 

As troubling as NoA2’s lingering erotism is, I didn’t let it divert me from my main focus — the gameplay, baby! While the non-skippable cutscenes bothered me a bit, I was more than convinced by the fighting. Granted, I’ve seen more stellar physics out there; but NoA2’s combat remains perfectly enjoyable, with a smooth yet dynamic quality and solid controls. The game features a sidekick system: a so-called ‘Lily’ lends you a hand and complements the MC in battle. This is more than mere fan-servicey cosmetics, as you can tweak the strategies involved and have your Lily perform in various ways — and hey, they work

 


 

The Verdict: I own some great Hack’nSlashes already; but given my appetite for the genre, I can always make room for more of them in my collection. Plus, I love NoA2’s aesthetics and erotism, and the story has me intrigued. More please

 

No comments:

Post a Comment