19/04/2020

Atelier Sophie: My (great) work here is done



Looks like we have a pattern here, dear fellow gamers. Once again, endgame barged in when I least expected it, leaving me open-mouthed and filling me with wondrous blended feelings of happiness and frustration. Sure enough, there was little left to achieve on the alchemic front when Luard appeared, and he was the only real opponent throughout the whole game; sure enough, the Library of All Creation oozed a Last Dungeon feel, with it encompassing name and powerful mobs; sure enough, I had been playing for more than 50 hours at that point; but pray tell, how was I supposed to know that Luard was the (one and only) Final Boss and that kicking some sense into him would mark the end of the game? He didn't even seem that strong, with his puny 3000 HP; beating him only took two tries — one to test the waters and the real, strategized one — and was no struggle at all. Maybe my playing in Easy Mode and grinding like crazy played a part; but the fact is that I didn't use a single healing item and wrapped up the fight in a mere half-dozen turns. Who said "To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory"? I think it was Corneille, and he obviously never experienced the delight of blazing unhindered through an Atelier game.

Au revoir, my lovelies.

At any rate, this unexpected closure marks the end of my Sophie endeavours for the time being. I had many things left to do, such as uncovering and synthesizing all recipes, fighting with other party members, customizing Plachta and maxing up everybody's affections; however, all that goodness will have to wait until a next playthrough. With my run clocking at a hefty 54 hours, I've had more than my fill of alchemic deeds already. Sophie was a fantastic game, and I enjoyed every minute of it; now I can only hope that Firis will delight and satiate me just as much. And now, dear fellow gamers, let's sail together towards new gaming shores!

4 comments:

  1. Well you DID play on Easy Mode, so how could the boss not comply? Congratulations on finishing Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Luard did comply indeed, and at the right time to boot: although I could have played more, I cannot deny that I was starting to feel a teeny-tiny bit of alchemic fatigue when I fought him.

      Delete
  2. Your ability to get through these games in such short time is incredible my man! Congrats on finishing Sophie - I'm surprised that you played in Easy Mode at all, I'd think a seasoned RPG gamer like yourself would be a glutten for punishment haha. Although sometimes games just aren't as fun in the higher difficulties, or they waste your time. From what I remember, the Atelier series is more about the slice of life characters anyway, so easy mode probably let you enjoy the ride more. :)

    Now that Atelier Sophie and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX are done, what's next on the horizon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You flatter me again, Geddy! :D Honestly, I don't have that much gaming endurance, and 50 hours of play feels like an eternity to weak little me. It really takes an amazingly addictive and intoxicating game to make me play longer than that without grinding fatigue.

      As far as difficulty in RPGs go, I usually roll with the default level, i.e. Normal. I only switch to Easy when battles take too long in Normal, because I'd rather have more short battles than less long ones. And thus I rolled with Easy mode in Bravely default, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Atelier Ayesha and Atelier Sophie, and I don't regret it one bit. As far as I'm concerned, toggling difficulty is a matter of quality-of-play rather than gamer's pride; and my masochistic side is more fulfilled by grinding to ridiculous levels og crawling enormous dungeons than by playing in hardcore modes.

      I just finished a short RPG — expect a run report very soon! — and I'm currently pondering my next play. My gaming instinct is torn between a number of games, but I fully trust it: a winner will emerge soon! :D

      Delete