24/08/2022

The New Classics #9: Death End re;Quest

 



The Backstory: I wanted Compile Heart and Idea Factory to bring the Switch version of Death End re;Quest to our shores. They didn’t; but Limited Run Games did, and that’s how I got my greedy paws on a physical version. I didn’t really know what to expect: the game’s pitch describes it as ‘a JRPG and Visual Novel’ hybrid, which can mean pretty much anything. 

 


 

The Game: Playing DErQ for two hours didn’t really enlighten me more about the way it mixes JRPG and VN elements. However, this is entirely my fault: I skipped every single cutscene to focus on combat and exploration, and missed a ton of important data in the process including tutorials and major explanations about the game world. I ended up being stuck as a result; and since I had little else to do, I proceeded to fight and obliterate every living thing in sight.

 


 

I didn’t have to force myself at all, mind you: combat in DErQ is incredibly fun and intoxicating. The fighting system is similar to the Hyperdimension Neptunia one, as each party member can move around in a fighting arena and has a defined attack range; however, the emphasis on turn-based and strategy elements is much stronger than in HN. You can choose three actions for each party member at the beginning of a turn; you then position your character the way you want, and unleash the three actions. I’ve not gone beyond chaining regular attacks during my two hours of play; but the strategic potential is obvious. Add to this a pool-like mechanic (that involves knocking back foes against each other or against the arena’s boundaries) and special ground tiles that can be used to trigger transformations in party members, and you get a deep, complex and engaging fighting system that begs to be mastered to the fullest.  

 


 

Oh, and did I mention that levelling-up is uber-fast? You gain a level every two to four battles, depending on the number and levels of foes. By the time I hit the two-hours mark, my team of two boasted a pretty decent Lv.20. just as good as Emboar reaching Lv.30 after three hours. I’m totally aware I wouldn’t have reached that level after a mere two hours of play if I hadn’t skipped all the VN elements; however, it means that the grinding potential is there.  

 

 

Still, that sweet grindiness doesn’t make me blind to the game’s flaws. For one, being stuck because I skipped a cutscene and some tutorials is a serious downside, and a potential deal-breaker. For another, I don’t fancy the setting and the overall atmosphere. Shina’s world feels utterly generic, the kind of game world you’ve seen in a million budget games before; and so does Arata’s modern day Japan, which could have been lifted from basically any VN. Lily Hopes reminds me a lot of another RPG character, but I cannot pinpoint which one; and positioning in combat is sometimes a real chore. 

 


 

The Verdict: I love Death End re;Quest’s combat; however, that alone is not enough to declare it a New Classic. I know I bought that game from LRG, and I know that I really wanted to get the opportunity to play the series… Still, I cannot lie to myself, and I cannot ignore my gaming instinct’s conclusion: DErQ doesn’t have what it takes to stay in my collection. Still, not all hope is lost for the series and for its amazing fighting system: I own the sequel, which seems to sport a more distinctive atmosphere and hopefully a couple of quality-of play improvements. We’ll see how it fares in due time!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment