29/08/2022

The New Classics #11: Dragon Quest

 


The Backstory: We’re dealing with a legend here, dear fellow gamers! The first ever Dragon Quest entry, which has been ported on so many platforms that I own two versions of it already. Of course, I had to decide which version to play first; and since I’m in a bit of a retro mood, I choose the North-American Game Boy Colour version known as Dragon Warrior. Upon booting up the cartridge, I noticed that the battery was depleted; yet that could easily be fixed, as my favourite gaming shop offers battery changes. But first, I had to determine if the game was worth said change; and so, I polished off my two hours of play in one go.

 

  

The Game: Oh joy, oh glory! Right from the first frame, I was immerged in that retro goodness I love so much. The graphics were so deliciously Game Boy, and the music… Look, I nearly cried with happiness upon hearing these splendid chiptunes. It certainly doesn’t hurt that the melodies are pure ear-candy especially the overworld theme, which I could listen to for hours. 

 


 

I kinda did, actually. I was let loose in the game world after the shortest briefing from the resident king, with nothing to halt me bar the levels of roaming enemies. Oh, to be free in an RPG again! I could explore the world at my own pace, and I first settled on a clear-cut objective: to get the funds to purchase the Copper sword. That goal was reached slowly but surely through slime eradication, and I could finally get that coveted sword and progress a bit further on the game world.

 


 

I wanted nothing more than to keep exploring while pursuing such nicely simple goals; but alas, the two allotted hours came to pass, and I had to bid my run adieu. My next goal regarding that game is most definitely to get a new battery; and the next goal after that is to play the whole thing.

 


 

The Verdict: No suspense here, we have a New Classic on our hands! I’ll obviously hold onto that Game Boy Colour version; and I’ll also keep the Switch one while I’m at it, because why not. I’ll play you again, Dragon Warrior!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment