07/02/2018

Period Cube: Pick your poison


A.k.a. the route report I promised you, folks. Let's face it: overall, all the beaus in Period Cube are temperamental little pricks that don't deserve Kazuha's favour — and by extension mine — and their romances with the lead lady pack very little romantism and hardly more plausibility. Without further ado, let's get to the whipping! (Spoilers ahead!)

Astrum: Making cool, calm and collected Astrum an awkward and grumpy nerd in real life was a neat idea and an unexpected twist. However, the game spoils that premise by piling up the flaws and making Astrum also jealous, pervy, domineering and rude. Like, how dare you call me an idiot when I'm professing my love for you, you ungrateful little nerdo? Do you want to get laid or not? The way you insisted on applying healing balm on Kazuha's thighs, I'd have thought you were desperately hungry for it. Honestly, if I want a fulfilling love story with a geek, I'd rather go for Meoshi in Sweet Fuse; because as it is, Astrum is merely a creepier, nerdier and skinnier version of Kent from Amnesia:Memories.

Demento: That route is a complete joke. On top of being a truncated route that branches off Astrum's route quite late into the game, it also features a bloodthirsty nutcase that beats Kazuha and proudly flaunts his love for murder. I'm sure this route wasn't initially planned, and I can nearly hear someone at Otomate scream: "Shoot, we forgot to add a psycho route! Let's fix something before the game ships!" Said game would definitely have been better off without that pint-sized excuse for a route.

Hiroya: A.k.a. the token childhood friend consumed with unrequited love. He's the teary-eyed guy on the cover art; and he has good reasons to cry, since he has to watch Kazuha cavort with other guys in all routes but his. I could nearly pity the poor thing, if not for the fact that he's a sullen and immature brat with a high-maintenance streak. The way he harasses Kazuha and demands that she relies on him more while throwing tantrums when she doesn't is not exactly a caring behaviour in my book. Not to mention that, why don't you just prove that you're reliable, instead of coercing me into leaning upon you? Sour cherry on the cake, Hiroya gets all flustered when Kazuha shows him her love and blames her for embarrassing him. Wait, you've been in love with me forever, and now that you got what you wanted, you're playing all coy and bitchy? Stop being hot&cold and make up your mind, boy.

Libera: Have you ever fantasized about a slice of yuri in your otome? Now your dream can come true thanks to Libera, a boy who masquerades as a girl in Arcadia. Libera is actually one of the best bachelors, boasting a playful streak and a touching backstory, but his posturing as a female somewhat soils his route. You could tell that the writers themselves were not completely at ease with that premise, because they made his Arcadia character model completely devoid of bosom, bottom or any other distinctive female attribute and gave him instead the same willowy body sported by all the bachelors — only with skimpy clothing. I can't help but think that if they were not going to go full force and make him a buxom female, they should simply have stuck with his male identity.

Zain: A.k.a. Mr. Plothole. Why this guy is even part of the bachelor crew is a mystery to me: as an NPC, he has no volition whatsoever and gains a will of his own solely through accidentally fusing with Demento. Ensue weird events and plotholes by the truckload, until Zain is somehow magically warped into the real world while retaining his Arcadia appearance. Now wait a minute, game: how is that even remotely possible? Okay, Zain fused with Demento in Arcadia, and it's implied that the former is hosted in the latter's body in the real world; but how can Zain modify Demento's facial features to make them look like his own? The answer is simple: he cannot, and that turn of events was implemented solely to spare the player the twisted outcome of having a romance with a Zain looking like Demento.

Radius: Okay, now I'm pissed. You had one simple job, game: to make my fellow solo runner Radius a compelling character with a good backstory — and you screwed it royally. You want me to believe that this guy was actually a regular party runner that got traumatized because he had to abandon his party to save his life, and that he's been running solo ever since to avoid reliving that trauma? How asinine is that? Couldn't you come up with a more believable solo runner, i.e. a guy who runs solo because he's a genuine lone wolf yet warms up to love and company upon meeting Kazuha? Also, you want me to believe that this guy is actually an idol in real life? If he were really an idol, he would be slaving away for his label, not running solo in an MMORPG. The romance is also way too rushed in that route, with Kazuha claiming that she wants to make Radius happy and doesn't want to be separated from him a mere day after meeting him. That's too fast, even for Period Cube.

Well, I'm done with the route report. But wait, I hear you ask; what about Poyo-Poyo's route? Well, Poyo-Poyo's route is a bit of a special case: as the true route and the only route I genuinely enjoyed, it deserves its own dedicated post. Thanks for reading, and by my guest anytime!

3 comments:

  1. Well, here it seems our opinions converge again. To make it quick:
    Astrum: Yep, total disappointment. Which is sad, because there are moments where I almost melt for his nerdy persona, but then he opens his mouth. Just a waste when compared to Kent or Meoshi (especially Meoshi, the best nerd ever).

    Demento: Totally pointless. I mean, he's not even a good psycho love interest; If you want a truly disgusting love interest, again, go for BWS. They did that masterfully, with the biggest and most disgusting troll I've ever met. Or do it like Amnesia and go for someone sneaky like Toma. Here it's just half-assed, rushed, and it doesn't please anybody.

    Zain: You know, if they went with the twist that he truly took over Minato's body, I would have loved this route. Because I love creepy stuff, and damn is the thought of something like that chilling. Plus it would have made Minato's admittedly attractive body be occupied by a marginally better person instead of a douchebag(and isn't that a horrible thing to think? I love it). But as it is, it's half-assed, and thus, pointless.

    Libera: It was okay. I found his brother's involvement with the plot more interesting than Riku himself, but he wasn't maddening or anything. A mid-tier route.

    Radius: Agreed, why the hell did this jerk need a sob story? I think it'd actually make more sense for him not to have one; think about it, being an idol in Japan sucks, so it makes sense for a guy like that to run solo on an MMORPG. He already has to deal with people all day, so unlike most other players, he just wants to be alone for awhile. But nooooo, gotta make him a woobie. Again, a waste compared to Wakasa, the idol route in Sweet Fuse that I actually liked.

    Poyo-Poyo: also the route I really liked. Can't wait to see your thoughts on it ;D

    As for Hiroya, this is getting long, so see you in my next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooo, Hiroya. To make it simple, I actually really liked him. However, me liking him has less to do Hiroya himself and more to do with a huge list of biases I have.

      First off, compared to the other guys, he isn't so bad. At least he has had time to fall for Kazuha, since he knows her since childhood. At least his brattiness is a little excusable, since he's the youngest outside of Libera. And I don't think he's the worst tsundere ever; bipolar, maybe, a hypocrite, certainly, since he whines about wanting Kazuha to see him as reliable, yet he totally abandoned her after middle school without an explanation just because he couldn't deal with his feelings. That's just so reliable *snort*.

      But heh, he's not the worst tsundere I've had to deal with. He does go through a lot of crap for her mostly because he loves her, and at least he doesn't smack her around. Not like most female tsunderes in VNs, where they physically abuse the protagonist for the smallest things, because somehow Japan thinks that's cute. I despise that. Compared to that, Hiroya is merely a brat And I think he had the right to be one more than Tohru at least, who's in college and should know better.

      My first bias, is that he's the childhood friend. I know you hate that trope, but I love it. Love it to death! So I forgot his bitchy moments whenever he and Kazuha talked about the past. Even two sentences is enough to make me squee. And again, it gives him an excuse to actually be in love with her.

      My second bias...he looks like the main guy in BWS. I love that character. One of my favourite bachelors in all of otome. But the game he comes is a game so full of misery, it barely even qualifies as an otome game. I love that game, but there's a reason I know it'll never be brought over. He's one of the few characters I've seen who's a genuine woobie and doesn't make you hate him for it. And my god does he suffer in those games. Even in his good ends!

      So when I see a character that looks like him, with a heroine that looks like the heroine in BWS...well, the mind wanders, and I tend to conflate the two. Because I wanted to him be happy in BWS so badly, I get happy when I see a character that looks like him be happy. It's I got a fandisk made specifically for him.

      Does this speak well for Hiroya? No, because if I'm thinking of another character when I look at him, that doesn't bode well for him, doesn't it? It's like he's not good enough to have his own identity in my head and well...and to be honest he's not. But it doesn't change the fact that for this biased reason alone, I liked his route.

      Delete
    2. Ah, so we indeed agree that Shiki's route was simply the best. Not sure our opinion is widely shared, though; the general consensus seems to be that Shiki is a total creep and his route a complete cringefest. :P

      If there's one good thing about Hiroya's route, it's definitely his shared history with Kazuha. Romance is overall way too rushed in Period Cube; but as far as Hiroya is concerned, things flow more naturally thanks to the fact that he and Kazuha knew each other before Arcadia. So although I don't like the childhood friend trope, it's actually beneficial in that particular case.

      Ah, now my inner voyeur really wants to know more about BWS. Guess I'll have to find a story summary somewhere and see for myself how cruel that game is with its characters.

      Delete