20/11/2023

Pokemon X: The Female Meowstic solo run (redux)

 


After the summer’s many false starts, I was going to take my sweet time enjoying Kalos. Leisurely exploring locations I usually rush through, such as Viridian Forest and the Battle Chateau? Check! Strolling around in Lumiose and changing my Trainer’s outfit every playing session? Check! Scouring the Kalos wilderness to collect TMs I usually never bother getting? Check! Raising my One and Monly's affections in Pokemon Amie until we’re BFF? Check! 

 

 

Before indulging in all these delicacies, I had to breed the perfect Meowstic. I couldn’t leave things to chance this time around, given that I specifically needed a female feline; and I was going to pick the best combination of nature and ability while I was at it. The lucky winner was a Mild female Meowstic with the Infiltrator ability. Keen Eye is great overall; but Infiltrator is better suited for a Mild Mon, as it means that Light Screen won’t do jack sh*t in battle. Cherry on the cake, the hidden ability Competitive would neatly compensate renouncing Keen Eye, as any stat reduction would boost my Sp. Attack. With such a combination, I had no qualms about going full Special with my Chat-nel. I’m uber-proud of that name, en passant: it’s a pun on Chanel and the word chat, which means ‘cat’ in French and is pronounced the same way as the cha- in Chanel

 

 

By the end of my run, the gap between my Attack and Sp. Attack was a whopping 103, with the latter peaking at a no less whopping 245. It should surprise no one to learn that after an early run spent wielding Disarming Voice, Psybeam, Psyshock and Return, I ditched them all in favour of more powerful and varied Special Moves. Said Moves were Extrasensory, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt and Signal Beam, which I gleefully spammed during the second half of my run. I revamped that combo right before the Elite Four showdown: I replaced Signal Beam, Extrasensory and Shadow Ball with Energy Ball, Dark Pulse and Psychic, and used all my PP Ups on these moves. 

 


 

My initial plan involved running with Espurr for as long as I could; in practice, “as long as I could” meant Grant’s Gym in Cyllage City. I was Lv. 30 when I faced him, and his darn duo of Fossils gave me trouble. After a couple of failed attempts, I suddenly got pissed; I fed my feline a Rare Candy I had in stock, went at Grant with a vengeance, and mopped the Gym floor with his now powerless Fossils. 

 

 

My run after I crossed that evolutionary Rubicon was pretty much a one-shooting festival. Although the Elite Four never posed a real threat given Chat-nel’s level and stats, they offered me a wide and interesting range of Type coverage situations. I had virtually no super-effective Move against Drasna’s dragons, bar Psychic that made short work of her Dragalge; on the other hand, I had the luxury of choosing between super-effective Energy Ball and Super-effective Thunderbolt to dispose of Siebold’s marine creatures. Lounging in the middle was Malva, whose fiery crew I destroyed with normally effective Psychic. Wikstrom provided the smoothest and slickest fight of them all, a fight that gave me the feeling of being a master strategist:

 

      Klefi: I opened with Psychic, which was a major mistake as Klefki resists that very type. It survived the first hit, and was able to use Torment against me before going down with a second Psychic. I was ready to reset, but I finally decided to forge ahead and see if I could turn the tables.

      Scizor: One-shooting with normally effective Thunderbolt.

      Aegislash: I used Energy Ball on the first turn, while it was still in Shield Forme. That paved the way for a serving of super-effective Dark Pulse on the second turn, while Aegislah was in Blade Forme and thus more vulnerable.

      Probopass: Two-shooting with normally effective Thunderbolt, once Wikstrom was done spending all his Full Restores. 

 

Then came Diantha: after using a X Sp. Atk on the first turn just in case, I took down Hawlucha with Psychic, and Tyrantrum and Aurorus with Energy Ball. Then Dark Pulse made short work of Gourgeist, Goodra and Mega Gardevoir, putting a glorious end to my run just shy of 11 hours.

 

 

Long story short: Female Meowstic is just as badass as I remembered, and I finally managed to get my yearly dose of summer Gen VI fun. See you soon with more gaming goodness, dear fellow gamers, and take care!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment