23/01/2023

The New Classics Sessions: Switch, Session 1

 


Gun Gun Pixies: It’s cute, zesty and full of humorous vibes; however, it’s not nearly memorable and thrilling enough to join The Collection. Plus, it involves stealth gameplay, and the beast I am doesn’t dig such subtlety. 

 

 

Shin Megami Tensei III – Nocturne: Not gonna lie, the early stages were very promising in terms of atmosphere. However, this is a canon MegaTen game, featuring canon MegaTen gameplay which I don’t fancy, as we know now. 

 

 

Fire Emblem – Three Houses: Oh lord, I love it! I do! Fast battles! Great atmosphere! Gorgeous character designs! Gimme more! Somehow, it seems the only SRPG series I can not only tolerate, but also enjoy in earnest is Fire Emblem and well, that’s mighty fine by me.

 

 

Cadence of Hyrule: I love the pristine graphics, the remixed music and the vibrant atmosphere; however, the rhythm thing ruined all the fun for me. Mind you, you don’t actually have to move to the beat of the music; but not doing so feels so tedious and disjointed that it’s basically pointless. Off with yer head, mate! 

 


Little Dragons CafĂ©: Too slow, too clunky, too handholdy — and last but not least, plagued with a hellish amount of loading times. If I want some clunky, hard-to-tame shop owner simulation game, I’d rather roll with my beloved Hometown Story, which comes with sweet memories on top. 

 


Fairy Fencer F – Advent Dark Force: Great dungeon crawling, fast and thrilling fighting, and a certain je ne sais quoi that makes me wanna get more of it. You’re in, buddy!

 

 

Megadimension Neptunia VII: HN is and will always be my jam; and I love that entry’s wider, more open environments. It’s pretty obvious that MNVII was primarily designed for a home console, and I won’t miss that opportunity to discover a new take on the HN formula — all the less so as dungeon roaming is thrilling and fighting is as intoxicating as evah

 


Caladrius Blaze: Eye-popping colours and flashy effects up the wazoo, tight and responsive controls and exhilarating music; I really don’t need more in my shmups!  

 

 

Fate/Extella Link: I knew I was dealing with a game packing strong VN elements; I was thus mightily surprised to start the game (bar skipped cutscenes) with an epic fighting scene that would totally feel at home in a musou game. Well, who am I to say no to some sweet hack’n’slashing? ^^ Plus, the crew is dressed to kill, and I wanna see more of that. And who knows, the story may even be amazing!

 

 

Bravely Default II: I played the demo first and didn’t quite enjoy it; but when I tried playing the actual game, I had a really nice time and wanted to keep playing. I’ll chalk this up to the fact that the demo doesn’t show the beginning of the game, but rather some kind of faux save file that makes you feel like you’re playing someone else’s Switch. I don’t like that, but this is the Squeenix way; and since I liked the real thing, I’ll hold onto it. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment