25/07/2020

Pokemon X: The Pyroar solo run



Dear fellow gamers, the Pokemon Summer 2020 Season is now officially open! Kickstarting that new round of solo runs is my annual revisitation of X&Y, starring a 'Mon I've wanted to cruise with for the longest time: Pyroar, the somewhat-out-of-place, somewhat-statistically-impaired Kalos lion. I rolled with the lioness for convenience's and aesthetics' sake said lioness being more abundant on the field and more pleasing to my retinas and was lucky enough to land a specimen with a Bashful Nature, which means that I could experience the purest, truest-to-form version of Pyroar.


Let's address the elephant in the room right away: yes, Pyroar's stats distribution is kinda off, and it makes its hidden ability totally useless. You can see for yourself the vertiginous gap between my Fiamma's Attack and Special Attack: we're talking about a whopping 89 points here, which I'm sure is one of the highest Attack stat discrepancy I've ever encountered in a solo run. Now for the million-dollar question: did it hinder me? Nope, not in the slightest. Fiamma basically blazed through Kalos, burning every living thing to a crisp and one-shooting the entire Elite Four bar five 'Mons that pulled off the exploit of lasting two turns.


Of course, that battle prowess required a fair bit of tweaking. Pyroar's learnset is pretty shallow and infested with Physical Moves; and to make matters worse, it takes her forever to learn powerful Special Moves through levelling-up the first Special above 40 power being Flamethrower, at lv. bloody 38. With Rock Smash, Ember and Echoed Voice, my early Move pool was nothing to brag about; and with Pyroar's Attack being so shitty, the arrival of Take Down, Fire Fang, Crunch and Return painfully failed to turn the tables. Faced with such inefficience, I decided to go Special all the way; and that's how I finally ended with Incinerate, Flamethrower, Hyper Voice and Dark Pulse renouncing my beloved Return along the way.


With that battery of Special Moves, my French lioness could live up to her full potential; but I can understand why it failed to make an impression back in the days and later, for that matter. Getting my late kickass Move pool took ridiculously high levels and an awfully long time and mind you, that was with the benefit of running solo. Let's just say that GameFreak is keeping up with the tradition of sneaking in trolly, stat-misfitted 'Mons in every game, and that Pyroar is Gen VI's Pidove.


Still, I had a blast with Pyroar, and that run was a most delicious appetizer. Because indeed, I'm nowhere near sated; more solo runs will be tackled this summer, both in X&Y and other entries. And talking about this: back to da grind! See you soon for (much) more Pokemon goodness, dear fellow gamers; and as usual, feel free to drop clever and challenging One and 'Monly suggestions in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. Fiamma kicked it !!
    As you mentionned more solo run this summer, I challenge you to do one with my favourite pokemon: Clefairy. He is such a cutiiiiiie <3
    ANyway, have fun with you forecoming solo runs Isleif !!
    Can't wait to read you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clefairy, you say? Okay, bring it on! I'm game :P It's quite perfect actually, because it so happens that I wanted to tackle a Fairy run in X&Y.^^
      Stay tuned for the upcoming report! :D

      Delete
  2. Congrats on (another) solo run! I'm genuinely impressed with how much you love Pokémon X/Y. Really, honest.
    Suggestions for a solo run? Maybe Pancham or Skiddo? I remember you can get those pretty early in the games and Pancham, with its unique Dark/Fighting typing, brings some nuances to the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! I do love X&Y, no doubt about that. And I love them even (impossibly) more since I managed to get my standard playtime under the 12-hour-mark by shearing all the fluff.

      'Maybe Pancham or Skiddo?': once again, we're kinda gaming soulmates: that pair is definitely on my solo run material shortlist! So, I'll absolutely take up the gauntlet and cruise with these two — possibly before the end of the summer. Stay tuned! ^^

      Delete
  3. Good to see someone use female Pyroar for once! And yeah, poor Pyroar suffers a similar problem that Flareon does; well Flareon is different because he has good atk, but no physical moves to take advantage of it, but either way, they're fire types with no good use for their stats.

    I must admit, I can't wait to see your review/run of sword/shield, since that game doesn't have return for some god forsaken reason.

    As for suggestions, I wanna be nice and suggest a very early game pokemon, so you don't have to bother transfering anything. Hmm, how about Vespiqueen? This is the only game where it can be obtained early and easily, since you can find Combee as a random encounter right after the first gym (unlike me in gen IV that had to use the horrible honey trees *cries*). Bug/flying type, so 4x rock weakness, but other than that it's a fairly decent pokemon, and rare to boot. Not a lot of move coverage, but it can use acrobatics and a bunch of dark type moves, along with the usual poison moves that actually became useful in this gen thanks to fairy type.

    If you're not feeling up to it, but still want a bug type, how about Vivillon? You can catch Scatterbug right at the start, and the move coverage isn't awful. Psychic, draining kiss, acrobatics, among others. Other than not having sludge bomb, it's actually better than Vespiqueen's moveset. Plus, I'm curious to see what pattern you'd get (I get Marine BTW).

    ......but if you want a real challenge, and I mean, the hardest challenge you'll ever get then.....get a Bunnelby. Evolve that sucker as soon as possible. Turn the volume as loud as possible or use headphones. You are not allowed to ever turn off its cry sound. Its stats and moves are not an issue, but your psyche will take a hit.

    Yeah, good luck not breaking your 3DS. I'm betting you'll try to beat the game with the minimum number of battles you can get away with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I can't wait to see your review/run of sword/shield": Well, that could well become a thing before the end of the summer. ^^

      Once again, we're one the same gaming AND Pokemon page, as both Vespiqueen and Vivillon are on my solo run material shortlist. But for this summer, I'll probably roll with Vivillon. I've been a bit obsessed with it lately, and the pattern thing is definitely bound to tip the scales in that splendid butterfly's favour.

      Of course, I HAD to run to internet and listen to Diggersby's cry. Oh, lordy! What were they thinking? That sonic abomination is totally ridiculous and utterly disgusting at once — talk about cognitive dissonance indeed!

      Delete