17/01/2018

Generation of Chaos - Pandora's Reflection: It takes two to clear that game


I did it, folks: a true blue duo run of Pandora's Reflection. Claude & Yuri only, all the way to the final boss — and boy, am I proud of that feat. And it was fun, too! Now obviously, that duo run involved copious amounts of level-grinding, along with tweaked battle tactics. Forget about taking enemy positions, forget about weapon complementarities, forget about terrain, forget about all those niceties and subtleties of SRPGs: my main battle tactic consisted of sticking around my base, slaughter all the minions that kindly came down to attack said base and then make a beeline for the boss. Stage done, next! When the number of grunts was too annoyingly high and I didn't feel like taking down all of them, I splitted my duo and let one protect my base and the other slaughter the boss. All in all, those dual tactics worked like a charm. In fact, I daresay that if there ever was an SRPG that lent itself to duo runs/limited party runs, then PR is exactly that game. Not only is it technically possible to run with as little as two units in PR, but the game is actually highly conducive to these types of runs because to the following points:

  • You only get to deploy two units at the beginning of each battle. To be able to deploy more, you have to take so-called unit and/or strategy points first, and then make sure that said points are not invaded by enemies. And it's not like there's hundreds of these points around, oh nooo: even if you take them all, you'll hardly manage to deploy more than three or four extra units. Better save yourself the hassle and make do with what the game gives you, o yes precious.
  • You cannot leave your base unattended at all, lest foes make a beeline for it and take it in the blink of an eye. This means that you can only send a single unit to take unit/strategy points at the beginning of a battle, and that single unit will probably run into tons of enemies on the way. Much better to lounge around the base and take advantage of those sweet, sweet impact circles until the small fry is disposed of.
  • The battlefield is too small to accommodate many units. We're talking about a single screen here with no scrolling involved, and it can get crowded really fast. Better to have just a few units and a clear view of what you're doing. 
  • The enemies are such pushovers that it's not worth over-strategizing. A bit of level-grinding, and you're set! Also, the weapon complementary thing is basically pointless: during my playthrough, I didn't run into a single battle where both of Claude's or Yuri's weapons were weak against their foe's ones. There's really not point in tinkering with units when it only takes two to tango all over enemies' bodies. 

But hey, I'm not trying to convince anyone to play a duo run of PR. Like, not at all. It's not like I'm a hardcore solo runner that sings solo runs' praises at every turn, now is it? Okay, I'm totally trying to convince you there. But I swear, that's because cruising with Claude and Yuri alone is the perfect treat for grinding aficionados. I had such a blast playing the game with these two that I nearly want to start a New Game + right away. I'm not sure I will, though; there are tons of other games tugging at me, and I'm quite greedy for new playthroughs these days. So I'll come back to you soon with either a post about a second run of PR or a post about my final thoughts about the game, dear fellow gamers. Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment