01/01/2018

New gaming year


Happy New Year, dear fellow gamers! One more gaming year under our belts — and my, what a fruitful and wholesome gaming year that was. Having said that, I'm not going to cover the gaming year as a whole and remind you of what we all know — the Switch et al; instead, I'm going to ramble about my own gaming year, past and to come. Here we go!

This was a very busy year as far as my playing was concerned, with more games and runs cleared than ever before. I've had a lot of free time this year as well as a ferocious drive to play games, i.e. the perfect combo; and since things are shaping up to be the same in the next months, you can expect a lot of posts and playthroughs in 2018 as well. The collecting front, on the other hand, has been a bit on the tepid side, with few games bought and a rather sloppy purchasing drive. I'm quite behind on my To-get-my-paws-on list, even neglecting to secure coveted Vita games despite promising myself to purchase such games day one to avoid missing on them. However, I'm confident my purchasing drive will come back before the Vita and 3DS are through; and since I'm not planning on missing on the ultimate releases for these two anyway, there will be a couple more gaming shopping sprees no matter what.

And talking about the Vita and 3DS ultimate releases... Eeeh, things are not looking too good on that front right now. The 3DS has a couple of appetizing games slated for release in early 2018, but there are no news of any games being planned beyond that; as for the Vita, 90% of the planned 2018 localizations are digital-only releases. Allow me to be totally unexcited about this, both as a collector worried about the future of the PSN and a buyer who wants the best value for money. That being said, I'd lie if I said I'm over-hyped about the 2018 Vita release schedule: apart from the lone RPG such as Rainbow Skies and Omega Labyrinth Z, there's nothing there that makes me jiggle with excitement. But I'll take what I can, and I'll take it gratefully. 2018 may see the end of both the 3DS and Vita, and I want to bid them farewell with as many game purchases as possible. Bring it on!

At that point, it's also safe to say that I will indeed purchase a Switch at some point. There are already a half-dozen games out there I'm coveting and just as many slated for release in 2018, which is more than enough games to justify a purchase — heck, I bought consoles for less games than that back in the days. While I don't think I'll buy the Switch itself in 2018, it's quite possible that I'll start stockpiling games, all the more so if 3DS and Vita releases trickle down to nothing in the second half of 2018. And with that, you have my gaming plans for 2018: lots of playing and blogging, as much collecting as possible and tons of gaming fun overall. I wish you a glorious gaming year, dear fellow gamers; and as usual, thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

7 comments:

  1. Buying less and playing more sounds like a good plan for 2018. I'm going to get a Switch much sooner because I just can't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea. You totally deserve a Switch, especially after all your 3DS troubles.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year to you too. Let’s make this another great gaming year. Always a sad feeling when you just know a device will be sorely neglected soon. I know I’ve hardly played my 3DS lately, and my Vita is collecting dust...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year!
    I must admit my Vita has been collecting dust since Atelier Firis, and my 3DS hasn’t gotten much love either. It’s just that the Switch is perfect for my kind of handheld gaming. Plus, as I enjoyed the three games I got on the devise so much, there was no need to buy more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that the Switch can fulfill the needs of a fellow handheld gamer, because this means that a) the Switch will probably fulfill my own needs too and b) the gaming industry may realize that there's a market for portable devices after all and come up with hybrid consoles similar to the Switch. I was afraid for the future of portable gaming, but it seems that there's hope after all! ^^

      Delete
  4. 2018 is going to be a year of replays for me. Of course, I have a backlog to complete on several fronts (PSP, Vita, 3DS, PS1/2/3/4, SNES, etc.) but I'm going to mainly focus on replaying games I love and have been meaning to replay for months, even years!

    Also, I'll keep an eye on the Switch. Ever since the news about getting SMT V, I admit my interest was finally piqued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indulging in replays sounds like a great idea. Sometimes one has to step away from the backlog and go where their gaming fancy takes them! The backlog won't go anywhere in the meantime, and I'm sure you'll be doubly happy to go back to playing brand-new games.

      "I'll keep an eye on the Switch. Ever since the news about getting SMT V, I admit my interest was finally piqued": Gee, isn't everybody's interest piqued now? :P Mine sure is, I can tell you that. I don't think I'll cave in and purchase a Switch in the next months, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it as well. I kinda like the idea of watching that console from the sidelines until my drive to own it becomes so intense that I simply cannot help but get my paws on it. ^^

      Delete