02/03/2017

Pokemon Sun/Moon: A miscellany of good and bad points


Hell is in the details, as they say; and so is heaven, as I often add. When it comes to games, my keen eye tends to linger on the most uncanny details; and my feelings for a game can often grow fonder or colder just because of a minute element that may pass the next gamer completely by. You probably know where I'm going with that, dear fellow gamers; without further ado, here's my list of all the details that charmed me and irritated me in Pokemon Sun and Moon. Enjoy!

"Lurid Ranger, go!"

The "Gimme more":

  • No HM moves. This is totally the feature I've been dreaming of without even knowing it. Gosh, how heavenly it is to be at long last able to dispense with HM slaves that clutter your team and serve no purpose beyond occasionally clearing the way. I fervently hope that this change is here to stay and that HM moves are now buried in older Pokemon entries for all eternity.
  • Being able to lie down in random people's beds, and getting informed comments about the state of said beds. Gee, how I dig up feeling like some kind of perv and sneaking into NPCs' intimacy. MCs in RPG can usually do whatever they please in NPCs' homes, but rolling around in bed sheets and burying your nose into pillows take that impunity to a whole new level. 
  • The sound effects at the Pokemon Center Cafés. Hearing these deliciously realistic pouring, slurping and gulping sounds invariably makes me want to pour myself a warm cup of teawhich I usually do. I swear that my daily tea consumption has tripled since I started playing Sun and Moon
  • The Team Skull encounter theme, as well as their battle theme. And the wonderfully silly way they wriggle when they talk. Oh, and their no less wonderfully silly battle pose. Heck, I love everything related to the hilarious Team Skull; they're my favourite villain team ever, period. 
  • The Z-Moves poses. They remind me of the Power Rangers TV show I used to watch when I was a kid; and watching my Trainer flail about in such a cheesy yet totally heartfelt way really puts me in an upbeat and combative mood. Had I been ten years old, I'm pretty sure I would have reproduced the moves while playing outdoors.
  • Encountering a tanned, long-haired version of Professor Oak as I was cruising around Alola. Boy, did I have a shock when I recognize him! And yeah, I know this guy is supposed to be Oak's cousin; but I prefer to picture him as the original Professor Oak, and I'll stick to that version. 
  • The '80s-inspired colourful clothing in stores. I'm a sucker for bright colours, garish prints and '80s fashion overall, and it was pure delight to deck up my Trainer in outfits so gaudy that they could make one's eyes bleed. 

Oh, the joy of sneaking into strangers' beds.

The "Get outta here":

  • Not being able to engage in double battles without having at least two 'Mons in my team. Like, why on earth? Isn't it my right to be a daring masochist and take two 'Mons single-handedly if I feel like it? This stupid feature soiled my solo run by forcing me to recruit an extra 'Mon just to partake in these battles. 
  • Too many doors that cannot be opened. I don't remember having seen so many doors used as mere wall decorations in older Pokemon entries. What's the point of teasing me with these doors if I cannot see for myself what's behind them? This frustrates the explorer in me, it really does. 
  • Changing the battle protocol on the fly. Most of the time, you get the opportunity to save your progression before an important battle. However, the game sometimes gets a flight of fancy and throws you into battle right after an unskippable cutscene without giving you the opportunity to save. It's absolutely infuriating to get trapped in one of these vicious battles when your 'Mon's health is at its lowest; and given the game's difficulty, this can easily lead to defeat and having to redo the whole battle. 
  • The english traduction present in the European version of the game is horribly lacklustre. Very little humour and wit, no puns on 'Mons' names, no effort made to enhance character's personalities by tweaking their vocabulary. On one hand, it makes sense to make the english traduction as neutral as possible given the prevalence of the english language; but on the other hand, this is the European version and it would thus have been perfectly acceptable to pepper the english text with purely British references. 
  • The TV broadcast is utterly dull and uninteresting. The only thing you'll ever hear on Alolan TV are lame commentaries about malasadas that let you know that sweet malasadas are sweet and sour malasadas are sour. Why, thank you, Captain Obvious! After the delightful interviews in Sinnoh and the Japanese lessons and move explanations in Kalos, this lack of substance really stings. 

Look at me, cool as a cucumber while the world is crashing down around me.

And there you have it, dear fellow gamers: the details that enthralled and enraged me in Pokemon Sun and Moon. And with that, you also have my last post dealing with overall aspects of the gamesso to speak. All future posts about Sun and Moon will be solo run reports; and given how much I love these games and how many 'Mons inspire me and make me want to cruise solo with them, I'd wager that there will be a couple more posts about Sun and Moon down the line. Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime! 

8 comments:

  1. The Horrible:
    - The framerate on O3DS.
    - The festival plaza with tons of content exclusive to online. Yeah, that's what I want in my single player game, because having some pokemon be unobtainable already due to trading wasn't enough. Now even dying my clothes and training their EVs is exclusive, thanks GF!
    -Pokemon with wasted gimmicks. Come on GF, you had a small roster to work with, so the hell did you not make sure all the mons properly felt unique or even worked? You did a mostly good job with X and Y's small roster, so what happened here?

    But I'm just salty given the fact that if I ever play this game, I'll die of the constant loading screens between each battle before I ever become champion. I'll probably get so sick of it that my poor Rowlet will never even get to evolve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about purchasing a New 3DS when prices take a dip? You could use it as a backup system to boot. It's crucial to own a couple of extra systems; that's a lesson I learnt the hard way when my beloved Megadrive and Game Gear were destroyed after a water pipe decided to explode at our house when we were on holidays. Also, never store gaming material under your bed.

      Delete
    2. I'd do that if I didn't already have another OR3DS, an American one I bought because of the stupid region locking. And while I know having extra systems is a good idea, my financial situation doesn't allow it nowadays. Even when it was better I beat myself over buying the extra 3DS and rightfully so; I haven't touched the system in more than an year, the last game I bought for it was Mocco Mocco Friends (which itself was a useless import since it came out in Europe later anyways).

      Plus, I really just want this one game. I don't care for Xeno-whatever, so it feels even more like a waste. I'd rather buy a Wii U, since there's at least 15 games I'd like for it. Or another Vita, since I only have one and I use that system way more.

      I guess I'll probably just skip this entry if Pokemon Stars isn't a thing anymore :/ Or just wait 15 years for the eventual remake. Or just wait until the 3DS emulators get better, I hear there was great progress on citra last year. But buying a third 3DS because of Nintendo's BS, while I admit I have considered it, just isn't in the cards. If anything happens to my European 3DS I'll just hack my American one so I can skip the region locking.

      I hear ya on terrible accidents though. Pro tip, if you live in zone that has terrible humidity and your house is old, keep the furniture away from the walls as much as possible. Or else the whole furniture and the stuff inside will get taken over by mold a lot quicker. I lost several sets of expensive watercolours due to this, mold completely took over the poor things. The humidity also affected my video game cases; it didn't get to the game CD, but it was getting to the cover art. I was thankfully able to wipe it off, but it's still not pleasant to see. Another reason I'm going digital most of the time nowadays.

      Delete
    3. I've seen gamers bandy many reasons for going digital rather than physical, but wanting to preserve games from getting moldy is not one I've ever encountered. I think you may have a first with that, Elisa. ^^

      Ah, that cursed region-lock. Always ruining things for 3DS aficionados, especially collectors. I would have purchased many more special editions of the 3DS if not for that infamy. Remember the gorgeous "Persona: Shadow of the Labyrinth" 3DS XL? Heck, it would have been mine if not for the fact that it was a North-American exclusive. Way to prevent me from spending money on your systems, Nintendo.

      Delete
  2. Sun and Moon look really good. Really nice ideas GameFreak had, some could probably have better implementation but it's something. And having some decent Pokémon designs in general makes it even more appealing.
    Guess, I'll have to shell out the money for a N3DS sooner or later. :p

    >"No HM moves"
    Wow, it only took 7 generations and nearly 20 years, but you finally did it, GameFreak! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better late than ever, as they say! Now I hope that HM moves are gone for good and won't ever, ever come back. Pokemon runs are just so much better without them. ^^

      Delete
  3. The no HM-moves was such a needed upgrade. It felt like something was missing when building out a team - and when I realized it was the consideration for HM moves, I was pleasantly relieved!


    Your point about "too many unopened doors" is a big one with me. I love exploring (especially in Pokemon) and it seemed like there were so many opportunities to add cool little sidequests that were largely ignored. Sorry to hear about the poor translation though! That's something I've never considered with translations. Translating words is easy but keeping the vibe and wit in tact is a big deal that should absolutely be considered for different regions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sidequests in Sun and Moon revolved WAY too much around capturing super-rare 'Mons and backtracking to present them to some douchey NPCs that are to lazy to hunt these 'Mons themselves. Not to mention that, no quest log? In 2017, such an oversight is simply unacceptable. I tried to clear ONE of these quests and gave up when the involved 'Mon failed to show up after 15 encounters. I guess it was one of these 'Mons that only appear after a long chain of calls for help, and I was not in the mood to put up with that.

      Regarding the translation, this is not a point I ever pondered in Pokemon games until I give the French translation of Sun and Moon a try and was blown away by its sheer excellence. It's really ten times more enjoyable than the English one and I can't get enough of it, and that's why all my recent post about Sun and Moon feature pictures adorned with French text. ^^

      Delete