10/03/2017

Tales of Phantasia: An unlikely franchise starter


Gaming often moves in mysterious ways. Games that are critically praised sell only a handful of copies, consoles and games that are snubbed at the time of their release gather a cult following as time passes, games that no one of would have bet two cents on become massive hits; and last but not least, games that don't have a shred of originality in their code become the starting point of a thriving franchise that's still going strong twenty years later.

That last sentence perfectly applies to Tales of Phantasia. First released on the SNES in 1995 and then on a slew of other systems, ToP is the prime example of a game that should have remained a one-shot yet somehow miraculously managed to give birth to a whole series. They say hindsight is 20/20; but hindsight is no help at all when trying to understand how an RPG so unremarkable and cookie-cutter could become the founding ground of what is today one of the most recognizable JRPG series. ToP is a lacklustre potpourri of all the 16-bit RPG tropes under the gaming sun and could as well have been called "16-bit RPG 101". It has your nondescript 16-bit-ish pixelated graphics that should elicit nostalgia yet fail partly at it because of the colours being on the dreary side of the spectrum, your mandatory Mode 7 map that stopped being impressive long ago, your strident soundtrack that tries to sound mysterious and inspired and fails utterly at it, your peaceful home village that will inevitably end up burnt to the ground and kickstart the whole adventure in the process, your cast of colourful characters that join the hero a mere five minutes after meeting him, your everything that screams 16-bit RPG. I don't think I've ever played an RPG that felt so utterly familiar and derivative and borrowed so much from its forebearers (except maybe for Tales of Hearts R; but more on that later). This shameless borrowing actually verges on plagiarism, with the story being a pared-down rip-off of Secret of Mana sprinkled with a bit of Lord of the Rings. I guess the only reason why Squaresoft didn't sue Namco into oblivion at the time was the fact that all RPG stories were pretty unimaginative back then and tended to recycle the same elements ad nauseam. Now that I think of it, they still do so nowadays  but I digress.

So if ToP is that run-of-the-mill, uninventive 16-bit RPG, how could it achieve what countless other more original 16-bit RPGs, from Bahamut Lagoon to Secret of Evermore, failed to achieve? How could it warrant no only a sequel, but fifteen of them  and that's without even counting the spin-offs? Well, I have my own theory about the matter. I'd wager that the first and most minor reason ToP became the first entry in a series rather than a mere one-shot is its very title. The Tales of- structure can lend itself to all sorts of variations and potentially give birth to a infinity of games, and it carries an aura of mystery and whimsical sophistication to boot. Now that may seem like a petty and silly reason to transform an isolated game into a full-blown series; but let's be honest, stranger things have happened in the gaming industry, and we all know how important a striking title is in establishing a gaming series' brand.

But not wanting to waste a perfectly good title is obviously not the only reason ToP became the founding ground of its own series; in my opinion, the second and major reason this happened is ToP's fighting system. Pompously dubbed the "Linear Motion Battle System" by Namco themselves, this fighting system is all at once the game's saving grace and its only genuinely original feature. It revolves entirely around position and timing, the key to fighting prowess being to move around nimbly and to trigger attacks at the right time in order to strike foes without being hit. It also has a steep learning curve and requires a lot of practise to be fully mastered, but it only gets better as the game progresses. Although it's prone to the occasionnal bout of clunkiness, with Cress being sometimes as easy to move around as a 36 ton truck, this fighting system is overall a true gem that stands halfway between the hecticness of action-based fighting systems and the deliberation of turn-based fighting systems. I'm quite convinced that this highly technical and demanding fighting system, which is still pretty unique and unrivaled to this day, is the jewel in the series' crown and its main selling point. It's not a coincidence if Namco have been refining and honing this fighting system with virtually every Tales entry; it was a huge asset in 1995 and still is nowadays, all the more as no other mainstream RPG series has dared tread on that ground.

In a way, even ToP's utter genericness may actually be a strength, thanks to its all-encompassing quality. This is the kind of genericness that stems not from a lack of inspiration, but rather from a true love for its own genre and a desire to be inclusive and comprehensive. I already commented on the fact that Tales of Hearts R felt like a compendium of all modern JRPGs; and since the same holds true for ToP, I'm starting to think that this is an overall characteristic of the Tales series. That makes that series a perfect flagship for the JRPG genre; as a matter of fact, if I had to recommend a JRPG to someone who never played any, I would probably go for the Tales series. Tales games pack all the tropes and trappings of the genre while offering a compelling fighting system that should draw in players allergic to turn-based combat, they involve little to no level-grinding and last but not least, they are mercifully shorter than your average Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, clocking at roughly 35 hours on average. Heck, you could easily get your regular fix of over-the-top JRPG-ness solely by investing in the Tales series.

I've poured 14 hours in the GBA version of Tales of Phantasia so far, and a future run report is obviously in the pipeline. I'll keep the suspense intact by shelving my feelings about the game until then  which basically means that this post is a wrap. See you soon for a more personal take on my ToP experience, dear fellow gamers! Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

8 comments:

  1. Funny thing that you should mention the Tales series. I'm also trying to get into the series right now, though the only games I have are the ones available on PS3 and PS4 (minus Berseria cause it's so new and it hasn't been on sale yet). Me being me I decided to start with the legendary Tales of Symphonia, since it was the oldest title I had.

    And I can see why it's legendary. I'm 10 hours into it and the story already has more twists and emotional punches than most other RPGs combined, and I know I've barely scratched the surface. There's no doubt in my mind that the plot is a real stand out among average RPGs. It touches all the generic tropes, but it does bring it own uniqueness to them. Even if the other games you're tried have failed to capture your attention, I think the plot in Symphonia would win you over.

    And yet...I don't wanna play it anymore, at all. I abandoned it in January so I could get ready for Digimon Next Order and to play the demo to Tales of Berseria. Ironically enough I've preferred to replay the Berseria demo over and over than come back to Symphonia. Purely because I find the combat in Berseria to be fun, and the one on Symphonia to be boring. While you say the combat is Phantasia's only saving grace, I cannot stand how it works in Symphonia and Abyss. I much prefer the newer titles in that regard, even if classic lovers think it's simplified.

    Maybe the combat gets better later on, but it doesn't change the fact that it's really boring for me right now and I don't like to wait 25 hours before the combat gets good, especially not in RPGs were grinding is necessary! And it really doesn't help that traveling to the world map is also really boring and that the grinding it so slow that it feels terribly unrewarding to even fight the boring battles in the first place. And for someone who usually likes grinding, making that part of your RPG boring is a cardinal sin. That's the main reason I play!

    I also don't really care for the graphics, so I don't even enjoy looking at the boring battles. I have a lot of trouble with the chibi style graphics of most RPGs of the time, which doesn't help. I'm okay with the chibi style we have today in most games, but the ones in the PS2 era look awful to me.

    I had a similar experience with Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS, another beloved tittle in the franchise. Only I could barely stand the 6 hours I put into it. Unlike Symphonia, the little I saw of the story and characters put me off immensely and did I mention the battles were boring already? I sure hope the rest of that game is stellar story-wise, otherwise I really can't see why that game is so beloved.

    Sometimes, the newer titles in beloved series are better suited for late comers, no matter how classic and "intricate" the old titles were. I'm definitely glad that the battle system is miles better nowadays and that they got rid of the awful world map entirely. I'm thinking of giving up on Symphonia and jumping over Tales of Graces F entirely; I know tales of Xilia and even the much maligned Tales of Zesteria would be a much better fit for me. I'm not even gonna think about the 16-bit titles.

    On other news, did you know Atlus is bringing over Caligula on the Vita to the West on May 2nd, in both Europe and America? It's sadly digital only, but I'm SO excited!! This is the game that I want the most on the Vita, even more than Demon Gaze 2. Everything about it just screams it's something I'd love. With 500+ NPCs to use in battle, I'm not even ashamed to admit I'm gonna make a male harem tailored to my tastes (if 4 people is a harem that is). No annoying tsundere princesses or stand offish jerks in my combat party, I can finally ignore them like I always wanted to. And that art! So delicious and pleasing to the eyes, yet unique enough to sorta stand out from the average anime stye. Mmm, May 2nd cannot come fast enough, I love you Atlus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "And I can see why it's legendary/And yet...I don't wanna play it anymore, at all": These sentences somehow sum up my relationship with the Tales series so far. I've played two entries before Phantasia, namely Tales of Hearts R and Tales of the Abyss, and my feelings towards these games are similar: I both love and hate them, if such a thing is possible. They had be glued to my 3DS and Vita allright, but they also irritated me to no end. No other game series ever had this effect on me.

      Tales of the Abyss is a truly remarkable game, mostly due to its excellent pacing. The game world is gorgeous and the characters really grow on you after a while. I polished it off in a mere five days in some sort of frenzy; and yet when the credits rolled, I vomited the whole thing and never wanted to touch it again. Yet at the same time, I really loved it. It's a weird mix of feelings, and I just can't wrap my head around them.

      I knew about Caligula, and it's definitely on my purchase list! Too bad it's digital only; but hey, that's the way the gaming industry is going. If I love it, I'll probably invest in a japanese copy. ^^

      Delete
  2. The Tales of games are a weird thing. On one hand, they're not that great at all. On the other hand, I keep buying them all, playing them and having fun. Well, at least I'm having fun and that's what matters. Except Symphonia and Xillia. Those two were a pain to play.

    Oh and Isleif, you should play the SNES version of ToPhantasia at least a bit just to compare the experience. The GBA port is in the hall of fame of some of the worst ports ever. Blind idiot translation, terrible sound quality, bad palette conversion, etc etc. Namco did a really poor job with GBA Phantasia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great summary of the Tales series. These games are neither truly remarkable nor ground-breaking, yet they manage to be genuinely fun.

      I cannot promise that I'll ever try the SNES version of ToP, because I've pretty much given up on emulation after diving back into gaming a couple of years ago... :P But I sure notice that this GBA port was more than a bit butchered.

      Delete
  3. I tried playing Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS about a year and a half ago. To quote the first Gamefaqs thread I found while trying to figure out the more complicated battle mechanics: "I'm about 5 hours into the game and I feel like I don't have a clue what's going on. FoF circles? Cores? I have no idea how to play this game."

    That is how I felt after 18 hours. Nothing at all about it made sense, the story was all over the place, I had to look up Youtube story explanations on the hour, I mean come on.

    Ya know, the concept of wanting to love a video game is very strange to me, because sometimes they feel perfect, and other times they feel the complete opposite. Not very often do you find something in the middle, it's either it works for you or it doesn't. Spending 18 hours only to quit and never have even an inkling of a desire to go back really says a lot.

    This game constantly struggled to be on the positive side, but ultimately tooka nose dive off the other side. Constant endless cutscenes, hundreds of characters introducing themselves only for me to forget their names hours later, long-ass diatribes and flashbacks, stories, oh please. I just couldn't do it.

    Which is unfortunate because I would have loved to find a new series that wasn't turn based. But it just didn't happen. Every time I won a boss battle, I felt like I was just mashing buttons and even after EIGHTEEN HOURS I barely even had a battle strategy except for "get really lucky".

    Really turned me off to the Tales of series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like Tales of the Abyss traumatized more than one gamer out there... I mean, this post is all about Tales of Phantasia, and yet we're talking about TotA in the comments, which is quite telling.

      To be honest, TotA is not the best game for a newcomer to the series. It has a fighting system that's way too complicated for its own good and a story that is, as you put it well, "all over the place". If you want to give the series another chance, I would recommend going for Tales of Hearts R on the Vita. It has a simple and clear-cut plot and a fighting system that's much easier to understand and master. Tales of Phantasia is also a good game in its own right, especially if you're a 16-bit RPG aficionado. It has all the trappings of the genre, combined to a really refreshing fighting system that was quite a novelty at the time and is still pretty rare nowadays. From what I know, only the Star Ocean series offered a similar fighting system, and they didn't refine at as much as Namco did refine the titular Tales fighting system over the years.

      Delete
    2. Oh awesome! I've considered trying Tales of Hearts R (or at least picking it up cheap) on the Vita while surveying the game offering landscape on more than one occasion. I will have to glance through a Let's Play and see if it looks like it'll be something I enjoy.

      Thanks Isleif!

      Delete
    3. You're welcome, Geddy! I hope you'll like it. :)

      Delete