02/06/2016

Coveted games: Summer '16


My collecting days may be numbered, but that doesn't mean that they won't be epic and memorable. I firmly intend to retire from collecting fully sated after a glorious final string of gaming purchases; and luckily for me, the summer '16 release schedule seems more than willing to indulge me and accommodate my magnificent plans. Without further ado, here's my wishlist for what may be my last summer of collecting! Enjoy, and don't hesitate to share your own coveted games in the comment section!

Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate (Vita): A Shiren game on the Vita, of all things! To say that I'm overjoyed with that release is pretty much an understatement. As the interminable title doesn't say, this is the fifth instalment in the Shiren series and the last one so far. Since it was initially released in 2010 for the DS in Japan only, this makes me wonder if the series has come to a halt. I sure hope it's not the case, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for a sixth entry on the Vita.

7th Dragon III Code: VFD (3DS): That game with a cryptic title will be the first 7th Dragon instalment ever released in the West; and since it's a dungeon crawler, I must get it absolutely. In fact, I already did so by purchasing the Japanese version a mere couple of days before the western release was announced—that certainly taught me a thing or two regarding the value of patience in all things collecting, thank you very much—but that won't prevent me from snatching the North-American version as well.

MeiQ: Labyrinth of Death (Vita): Yet another first-person dungeon crawler is gracing the Vita. *heavy breathing* What more can I say? Joy and glory! One can never own too many dungeon crawlers, oh no precious. Giddiness at the prospect of expanding my already massive dungeon crawler collection aside, I'm pleasantly surprised by the fact that MeiQ is going to be granted a physical release. Idea Factory, I do love you. Gaming love declarations aside, MeiQ is part of the so-called "Makai Ichiban Kan" project, a Dept. Heaven-like gaming venture orchestrated by Compile Heart that comprises two games so far—MeiQ and Trillion God of Destruction. The project looks fairly promising and I'm really curious to see which games will come next.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (Vita): I got the first half, so I must get the second. Not much to add, really. Next!

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse (3DS): Let's face it, this game will not be physically released in Europe, and the digital version will very likely come to our shores a full year after the North-American boxed version. If it comes to our shores at all, that is. I say, let's save ourselves the trouble of waiting for a blotched European release and purchase the shiny physical North-American version instead, shall we? Well, that's what I'll be doing, at least. I just wish this game had been given a title that fully showcases the fact that it's a brand-new Shin Megami Tensei entry and not yet another one of these enhanced remakes that plague the 3DS library.

That's only five games, which is quite reasonable. My collecting, like all things, will benefit from a refreshing summer break; and hopefully I will emerge from the summer with my collecting zest replenished and fully ready to tackle the epic collecting autumn that awaits us. Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

4 comments:

  1. No Kirby Planet Robobot?
    No Odin's Sphere Leifthrasir?
    No God Eater?

    And Atlus already said that SMT IV Final European release is going to be a lot different from IV's, so there's that. I'm hoping we'll actually get it this time. If only to support SMT in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -Kirby: I think I'll pass on that one after my lukewarm experience with KirBy Triple Deluxe last summer. It may well be that Kirby games are not my cup of tea after all...

      -Odin's Sphere: I already mentioned it in another Coveted Games post and didn't want to write about it again; but I'll get it for sure!

      -God Eater 2: I totally and completely forgot about this one! Thanks a lot for reminding me. ^___^

      If Atlus promised to step up their game and do a better job at the SMT IV Apocalypse European release, then it obviously changes everything! I think I'm going to wait and see if a European physical version graces us. If not, I can always purchase the North-American one later...Patience is the key!^^

      Delete
    2. Oh, and maybe you're not up to date on GE but it seems like Europe is getting a physical Vita release of GE2 and also getting the remake as a download code. Basically one game for two.

      I'm gonna wait for now. Final is probably going to be my final (eh) 3DS game I'll buy, so I definitely gonna get it, either the EUR, USA or JPN version. I guess we'll wait for now and maybe we can even get some decent Day One Edition of some sort. While I'm not exactly very confident, I think we can give Atlus the benefit of doubt, at least for now.

      Delete
    3. Indeed, I've spotted the European physical version of God Eater 2 with Resurrection included on various merchant sites for a fairly decent price; and I'm quite delighted to get the opportunity to pocket two games for the price of one. That's a really nice move by Bandai Namco.

      I'd certainly like a Day One Edition! Atlus certainly owes us a grand release after the SMT IV fiasco. Let's wait and see what they have up their sleeve! :)

      Delete