12/03/2023

The New Classics: Progress report #8

 



Hey there, dear fellow gamers! Hope you’re doing fine, and indulging in whatever makes you happy. I said I was going to play some games in earnest for a change in my last New Classics progress reports, and that is exactly what I did — and what I’m still doing 🤩

 

Gosh, I had forgotten how amazing it feels to dive into a game and lose oneself in it completely. I’m done replaying PMD: Rescue Team DX, and about to wrap up a run of Atelier Firis DX; Fire Emblem Engage is next, alongside another game whose identity I’ll keep hidden for suspense’s sake. I got back into beloved gaming habits of mine, such as racking up evening playing sessions with my favourite TV shows in the background and munchies within reach — and boy, was it incredible.

 

How is my indulging in full runs of games related to the New Classics project, you may ask? Well, it was a bit of a wake-up call, which reminded me that I’m a player first and that collecting is only a mean to that playing end. It also reminded me that I want to write about playing games, not about sorting them out; and so, I’m gonna streamline my New Classics input from now on. First, I’ll finish the whole thing: then, I’ll deliver synthetic posts including the list of happy winners, along with my feelings about the testing process and the revamped state of my collection. I figured out that there is no need to list the games that didn’t make the cut; should anyone be interested, these games can be deduced from my initial New Classics Contenders List anyway.

 

Now, regarding the PSP situation. As I proceeded to put my PSP library to the New Classics test a couple of weeks ago, I discovered that half of my PSP backup units were virtually dead, with battery packs no longer charging and holding power. The other half will probably die soon enough; I could try and purchase replacement batteries, but they’ll probably be dead on arrival as well. I already had doubts about the perennity of the PSP due to the flimsy UMD drive; and that battery issue only made me more suspicious, and soured my feelings towards the PSP as a piece of kit. Still, I’m not gonna throw the baby out with the bathwater and get rid of everything PSP. Instead, I’m gonna:

1-      Put my PSP collection to the New Classics test as planned, using my still-alive-and-charging PSPs.

2-      Get rid of my faulty PSPs and games that don’t make the cut.

3-      Hold onto my still-alive PSPs and games that make the cut; AND emulate the latter on one of my Vitas, just in case the former die on me. If I own the UMDs, I should be safe on the legal front, right? Perfect plan!

 

With that said, I’ll see you soon with actual run reports, dear fellow gamers! Take care, stay tuned, and keep doing whatever makes you happy! ^^

 

2 comments: