13/03/2021

Lily of the Hollow – Resurrection: A challenge

 


The aforementioned challenge is twofold, dear fellow gamers. The first part of it was to play the game until the (bitter) end; the second part is to find something to write about it. I cleared the first part already; so, I should manage to clear the second part and squeeze a couple of words about that game out of my brain.

 


Mind you, I came very close to giving up on the first part of that challenge. The reason is pretty limpid, and should be known to anybody who heard about LotH already: the text, folk. The retina-stabbing, grammar-forsaken, atrociously translated text. It’s not Google Translate bad; it’s much, much worse believe me when I say that anything GT spouts sounds like Shakespeare compared to LotH’s wordy abominations. I swear, that text doesn’t sound like it’s been translated by a human being or anything from that galaxy, for that matter. I could rave on and on about the mind-boggling crassness of all things textual in LotH, but the bottom line is this: it makes the game nearly darn unplayable

 


Should you choose to suspend your grammatical common sense and power through like I did, you’ll quickly notice that bad text or no bad text, the story is rushed and painfully lacking in all areas. Romance build-up is just glaringly absent as world build-up, making for a very unfulfilling VN experience; anybody who’s played LotH certainly won’t blame me for ditching the game after polishing off Claudia’s route. 

 


That’s a lot of flaws for a single VN; yet, not only didn’t I hate LotH’s guts, but it actually left a positive imprint on my gamer’s soul. 70% of that positive imprint is the work of the snowy landscapes in which the whole story unfolds. You know I’m a sucker for such landscapes, dear fellow gamers; and LotH’s pristine alpine vistas are some of the most gorgeous I’ve ever feasted my eyes upon in a VN. The remaining 30% can be proudly claimed by the splendid crystalline soundtrack, which perfectly complements the aforementioned vistas to create a most mesmerizing wintry atmosphere. 

 


Still, I cannot recommend LotH at all, even to the most hardcore VN aficionado. It would feel like daylight robbery even if it were free let alone with an outrageous 5,99 euros price tag. Shovelware is strong with the Nintendo eShop indeed; and I’ll roam those uncharted territories with great vigilance from now on. I’ll see you soon with more gaming goodness, dear fellow gamers; until then, keep playing and take care!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment