25/12/2020

1990 – 2020: 30 Years of Gaming (Part 1)

 

Merry Christmas, dear fellow gamers! I hope you’re enjoying delightful moments with your loved ones and gorging on delicious food. My own Christmas 2020 is very special, as it marks the 30th Anniversary of my first genuine foray into gaming. Three decades of gaming, folks! This is a highly meaningful milestone indeed, and I decided to celebrate it by looking back on my whole gaming career. Make yourselves comfortable and bring the popcorn, dear fellow gamers: this is the epic, convoluted and ultimately happy-ending story of my very own gaming journey.

 

Christmas 1990: The Genesis

Let's set the scene: back in late 1990, I was nine years old, and video games were not a fixture in my life by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, I wasn't a complete video game virgin either: I had owned two Games&Watches already, as well as dabbled in a Space Invaders clone on my father's Macintosh 128 K; but this was nothing compared to the storm that was about to descend on my young life.

That storm was unleashed by none other than my neighbour: that insanely lucky kid had gotten a brand-new Game Boy upon release, and immediately proceeded to show it (off) to the whole neighbourhood. My sister and I were instantly mesmerized; we just couldn't take our eyes off that Game Boy's screen, even though said screen only had primitive early GB titles such as Tetris and Prince of Persia to boast. The next step was obvious enough: to run to our parents and beg for Game Boys as Christmas gifts. Upon seeing the price of the thing, my father was not exactly enthusiastic; however, we were so adamant that he finally relented — under the strict condition that we would participate by investing whatever pocket money we had in our piggy banks into that new toy. We gladly accepted; and three months later, we had our shiny new Game Boys — one for each of us. Oh, the joy!

 

1991 - 1995: A Whole New World 

I had no intention to stay long on a Tetris diet; and so, I proceeded to expand my game library as soon as I had enough pocket money saved. One single GB game amounted to five months of allowance; needless to say, careful choice was required if I didn’t want to be stuck with a turd for months on end. A fateful visit to the local toy shop later, I was the proud owner of Super Mario Land; that was the beginning of both my collecting career and a couple of months of torturous play, which I already retraced here. An expansion of my collection was required; after another couple of months and diligent savings, my budding collection boasted Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle and Ducktales, which quickly became little darlings of mine.

Then came the ultimate cult classic Link’s Awakening, which gave me my first intense emotions as a gamer; Kirby’s Dream Land, which I borrowed from a schoolmate and loved so much that I ended up purchasing it; Tom&Jerry, which my cousin gave me because he hated it; Mr Nutz, a European GB classic that temporarily reconciled me with Platformers; Star Wars, which was tough as nails and an overall disappointment to the Star Wars fan I was; and a couple of others borrowed here and there. I would have owned many more titles if I could have; alas, I was limited by both a lack of personal funds and a lack of purchasing options in my little town. I remember dreaming that I went to the local toy shop, only to find all current games but the one I wanted to purchase — jeez, I was kinda obsessed, wasn’t I?

Those GB years were amazing indeed. But gamers, especially young ones, are fickle creatures; and after five years of an exclusive GB diet, I was eager to try new systems — preferably new systems boasting non-monochrome screens. A tepid experience with a turd named Titus the Fox was the last straw that prompted me to ditch my GB for good; and after selling it to a schoolmate, I was ready to move on to the next stage of my gaming career.

 

1996 - 1999: Lust for Games

Not only did I move from spinach-green non-lit screens to full-colour backlit ones, but I also changed sides in the ‘90s console wars by moving on to Sega machines. I started with the Game Gear, which nobody wanted anymore in 1996; games were dirt cheap as a result, and I could splurge on brand-new cartridges and build up a nice little collection. Sonic, the Lion King, Ecco the Dolphin, Tail’s Adventure, Ristar, Land of Illusion, The Excellent Dizzy Collection, Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic Drift Racing: I got them all, and I could have gotten even more if not for the Game Gear being discontinued in 1997. As Game Gear games disappeared from shops seemingly overnight, I used the opportunity to move on to home consoles by purchasing a second-hand Megadrive in a local pawn shop. I had tried and tested the thing already by indulging in Streets of Rage and Sonic sessions at my neighbour’s place — obviously, those were the first games I purchased for my lovely Megadrive.

I didn’t know it at the time, but that Megadrive would be the only home console I’d ever own. But boy, did it leave a deep imprint indeed: I spent hours toiling on the Ecco games, I polished off Landstalker a million times, I kicked hundreds of arses in Streets of Rage in co-op with my sister; and last but not least, I became a Sonic whore like never before. Oh, those lovely winter afternoons playing Sonic 3&Knuckles with my sister expertly handling Tails!

Alas, my Sega days were bound to end in a bittersweet and anticlimactic way. As the millennium was drawing to a close, I stored my Megadrive and Game Gear under my bed right before the holidays, thinking they would be safe there. Little did I know that a pipe would explode in the family home during those fateful holidays, drowning the whole place in 20 cm of water and destroying my precious consoles.

Another entirely different phase would take place after that; I’ll tell you all about it, and more, in the second half of my gaming epopee. Until then, dear fellow gamers, keep playing and take care!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on 30 years! I just realized I celebrated 25 years of gaming this year, but I started way younger than you at 3 years old, ironically also with tetris on a gameboy (which I do not recall, but a picture of me and my older sister proves it's true). Unlike you, I've always had home consoles; my earliest memory is the over world screen from a Mario game that I think had Yoshi in it? I have another memory of telling a person with my fingers that I was four years old, and I know by that time we had a sega saturn instead, so that memory is really early.

    My Sega days also came to a tragic end; when moving, my mom was storing the console temporarily nn the top of a closet, but the box flaps opened and the poor consoled crashed into the floor and stopped working. My mom bought me a PS1 soon after, and I've been mostly a Sony girl since (always getting the Nintendo handhelds though).

    The most odd thing about my gaming career was just how long it took to get me into JRPGS, despite playing the original pokemon red and the Harry Potter RPG games on gameboy. It was FFX that introduced me to the genre proper, when I was around 13 years old. Even so, it wasn't till I got a DS lite and started importing games for it at the tender age of seventeen that I really got into them. I managed to get my mother to get a joint account for me since I was still a minor, got a prepaid card and learned how to shop online with it, and deal with customs on top of it all. I got Devil Survivor as my first game, and then it was all over. Still one of my top five games. And to this day, I am the only one in my family that knows how to online shop, no joke.

    Most of the things in my life I got into thanks to gaming. Writing, drawing, even brief stints into sculpting? All to make fanworks for my favourite games. I haven't watched TV or any series in over a decade, only watch a movie every once a blue and never in the cinema, and I've fallen out of reading about three years ago. Every other medium is just too 'passive' to entertain me, I need the interactivity that only games can offer. For this reason I intend to keep gaming as long as I can. Even if I'm doing poorly financially and can't buy anything new, my enormous backlog and emulation can keep me in the hobby for the rest of my life. Only physical disability or outright homelessness can stop me. I will stop buying games if the streaming-only future becomes a reality, but I won't stop playing them. I already have my computer set-up with dual booting into windows 7 just to play TS2; evolving technology won't deter me from enjoying my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite ironic that your personal tragic Sega demise story involves the top of a piece of furniture, while mine involves the underside of it. Any ways, Sega systems seem to be cursed indeed 😂

      >'The most odd thing about my gaming career was just how long it took to get me into JRPGS': Tell me about it, sister. I can say the same thing about turn-based RPGs, which I discovered ridiculously late. In my defense, we Europeans fancied ARPGs way more in the '90s, and turn-based RPGs were few and far between — and dang, never on the systems I owned.

      Last but not least, I can totally relate to your last paragraph, especially the part about other mediums being too passive and wanting to keep gaming for as long as you can, with enough games to back you up for a whole lifetime. Heck, I could totally have written that myself! 😆

      Delete
  2. Just a head's up, the english patch of Digimon on the 3DS has been released! There's only one place to get a legit dump to patch it though, but it's not hard to find. Lost Evolution, the DS game, has been delayed due to the translator being sick and therefore unable to test the patch (but the translation is 100% done), but it will come in 2020.

    As a head's up, I have no way to confirm if this is true, but in the PSP version, you could not evolve into Wargreymon (Agumon's natural Mega) without doing a special quest first. This meant if you tried to follow your starter Agumon's natural digivolution path, you'd get stuck with a MetalGreymon. I don't know if this is still true in the 3DS version, but it's best to not evolve Agumon into Greymon all the same. I do know they added a new path to MetalGreymon, VictoryGreymon, which might not be locked? Either way, I recommenced you play with a digivolution guide, since unlike the Vita/PS4 game, this game does not give you any hints about what your digimon needs to digivolve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for remembering this and giving me that heads-up! ^^ I'll keep your advice in mind, and play with a guide by my side if/when I play the game.

      Delete