27/09/2020

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire: The Tyranitar Solo Run

 

That run may well not have existed at all, as I discovered the Tyranitar line solely by chance. While I was cruising Route 18 without Repels for some reason in my last Y run, I stumbled upon a Pupitar. That 'Mon looked so bizarre that my curiosity was instantly piqued; upon researching that new creature, I discovered that its whole evolution line was perfect solo run material, and there was no turning back. A Tyranitar run was going to be a thing, and no later than immediately.

The list of things that make Tyranitar a stellar One and 'Monly is vast indeed. First thing first, it's a three-stage evolution line that mimics bug growth, with a pupal-like middle stage and a nicely late final evolution at Lv. 55. It's also a pseudo-legendary that boasts the 16th highest total base stat of all 'Mons, with a whopping 600. It also changes Type upon its last evolution, going from Rock/Ground to Rock/Dark; that change is guaranteed to shake things up when it comes to STAB and weaknesses. Speaking of which, Tyranitar is afflicted by a mammoth seven weaknesses, including a double weakness to Fighting; that certainly balances its high stats quite neatly. Last but not least, it was granted a Mega Evolution in Gen VI, effectively making it a four evolution stage 'Mon; and you know I just cannot resist ME, even though they make the games laughingly easy.

It should surprise no one that the ensuing run was smooth as heck and pure fighting delight from beginning to end. Larvitar is just so adorable that I wanted to feast my eyes upon it longer than Lv. 30; and thus I delayed my Malachite's evolution into Pupitar until Lv. 50. I expected to struggle mightily; but with Moves like Bite, Chip Away, Rock Tomb and Rock Slide at my disposal, its wasn't even that hard. This makes me question the viability of a full Larvitar solo run, which is something I'd love to tackle — because heck, Larvitar is just too cute. Anyway, once I crossed the final evolutionary rubicon, the late stages of my run became a total breeze. Because indeed, who wouldn't blaze through any living thing with a Tyranitar armed with Crunch, Chip Away, Earthquake and Rock Slide? Heck, I didn't even bother to snatch Return this time around! Hoenn being Hoenn, I half-feared the abundance of Water 'Mons in the game's late stages; but it turned out I needn't have worried, as everything fainted before they could even throw a drop of water at my Malachite.

That run was actually too easy and smooth, even for my lazy taste; and so, I decided to shake and spice things up for the Elite Four. I did that by getting rid of all STAB and deliberately keeping my Moves under 75 power: and that's how I ended up with Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang and Brick Break as my final Move pool. Even with that nerfed set, the Elite Four remained a cakewalk, with all 'Mons bar five going down in one clean hit. I even had the luxury of using all my Moves AND going all super-effective against five of Steven's six 'Mons: Thunder Fang for Skarmory, Brick Break for Aggron, Ice Fang for Claydol and Cradily and Fire Fang for Metagross.

Long story short, the Tyranitar line didn't disappoint; that run was pure pleasure from beginning to end, and I'm seriously itching to run with the creature again in its home region — with the unbearably cute added benefit of watching it trail behind me in HeartGold or SoulSilver. But that's a story for another time and post, dear fellow gamers; for now, let's move on to the next run in line!

7 comments:

  1. Man, I have to give this pokemon a go sometime. It was so good back in generation II that even someone like me who skipped after gen.I and didn't come back until gen.IV realized it immediately after I got back into the series. And yet, like many other pseudo-legendaries, I never got the urge to actually try it. I guess I much prefer running with underdogs like the bug type.

    Sadly, this and the gen.II games seems to be the only ones where you can get it early, and I'm too put off by the franchise for now to even bother with the Universal Pokemon Randomizer. I really hope Nexomon is good, because with Digimon Survive being constantly delayed, I have a huge lack of monster raising games at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fancy both underdogs and OP 'mons, depending on the mood... And well, the mood swings quite often. :P I've done both this summer, and it was really satisfying. Spices up solo cruising, it really does. :D

      Talking about Digimon, have you ever played Digimon World RE:Numerizer on the 3DS? I'm on the fence about purchasing that game. On one hand, that would give me a game to feed my Japanese 3DS, which has been kinda idle since I bought it; on the other hand, I have waaaay too many games already. Decisions, decisions...

      Delete
    2. I assume you mean Digimon World Re: Digitize Decode? I played the original version on the PSP, and have a Japanese copy of the 3DS one, but I'm waiting for the English patch to come out just like it did for the PSP. It might come out right at the tail end of this year.

      It's between the original Digimon World on PSX and Digimon World Next Order on PS4. On one hand, the variety of Digimon is much better than even the PS4 version, and the maps are way smaller and easier to navigate. But on the other hand, it doesn't have all the QoL improvements that Next Order has, including the huge stat boost you can get from fighting (under certain conditions) that makes Gym training optional. Worst of all, the town doesn't get bigger and open new Shops as you progress, which is a big part of Digimon World (neither handheld had enough space to store multiple versions of your hub town).

      The 3DS version has even more Digimon and even a side-game where you manage a Digimon Hotel. I say get it for sure, but wait until the English Patch comes out to play it. Assuming you have a 3Ds that can play English Patches that is...(which you really should, if only because Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime already has a translation patch, and that game is goooood).

      Delete
    3. I'll also add that it's probably the ideal game to start if you have never played a Digimon World game (since who knows, Next Order might come to Switch eventually). It's not as bug-riddled and obtuse as the original PSX game, but doesn't have huge difficulty spikes like the PS4 version does.

      Delete
    4. As usual, you don't disappoint when it comes to delivering sound advice about the Digimon franchise, Kumiko. :D I'll wait for the English patch then, and purchase the 3DS version once it's out.

      Delete
    5. I'll be sure to leave a reply on your latest post whenever the patch is released, since I'm already keeping an eye on it. And I'm always happy to help a fellow Digi-fan!

      They are also doing a translation of Lost Evolution on DS, so if you're on the hunt for Japan-exclusive Digimon games, that's the one to look for. Well, that and the Digimon Adventure game for PSP that has had a patch for years. It's actually a pretty good standard RPG, that goes through the story of the Digimon anime. None too hard, so it's a good "inbetween" game to relax.

      Delete
    6. 3I'll be sure to leave a reply on your latest post whenever the patch is released3: Please do! ^^ I'm keeping track of so many games that I'm bound to forget about this one lest I get a reminder. :D

      Delete