08/01/2019

New Gaming Year!


Happy New Year 2019, dear fellow gamers! Hope you had the nicest Christmas holidays, full of lovely moments with your loved ones and scrumptious food. I certainly got my share of both; so much so, in fact, that I didn't put a single finger on my precious handhelds for the last three weeks, so busy was I enjoying that whole Christmas indulgence.

But now that everybody is back home, it's time to get back to the daily grinding! I don't have that many gaming plans lined up for 2019, though: as the 3DS and Vita are slowly but surely retreating from the current gaming scene, my collecting prospects are drying up, leaving me sad and relieved at once. But I'll expand on my inner game collector in a dedicated post; for now, let's stay on my gaming plans for 2019. Apart from following my ever-dependable gaming instinct wherever it may lead me, there is one thing I really want to achieve this year, and that would be to play all my digital Vita games. Those games feel less and less important and worth playing as time goes on, no doubt due to their, erm, intangible quality; I'll probably soon reach a point where I just don't care anymore, and I'd rather give them a fair chance before it happens. This is all a matter of recouping my investment, and hopefully also unearthing a couple of gems worth a physical purchase in the process just like my beloved Pandora's Reflection, whose japanese physical edition joined my precious collection lately after I played the digital version and fell in love with it one year ago.
 
So there you have it, dear fellow gamers: a teeny-tiny bit of collecting here and there and lots of (hopefully) fullfilling playing, that's what 2019 is shaping up to be. Feel free to share your own gaming plans for this year in the comment section; and as usual, thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you too, Isleif!
    I already started this year burning my Christmas money-gift on some nice games for my collection, as well. The 3DS and Vita may be drying up but that doesn't mean that the PSP or DS or even GBA/GBC collection is done! :p
    I'm really curious about your article on Pandora's Reflection. It was a very, very low key game at the time and flew under the radar of a lot of people, but those that played it either loved it or hated it. Hopefully you'll love it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The 3DS and Vita may be drying up but that doesn't mean that the PSP or DS or even GBA/GBC collection is done!": Oooh, now I'm curious! Do you still have a lot to purchase on those three fronts? How "complete" are your DS, PSP and GBA collections in your eyes? My own GBA and DS collection are pretty much as I want to have them, with only my PSP collection missing a couple of appetizing RPGs. But given that those RPGs are japanese exclusive AND that I already have mountains of games to play, I may end up giving them a pass.

      Ah, but I already played Pandora's Reflection last year and wrote three posts about it. Why, you even commented on one of them! ^^ What I meant is that many Western digital Vita games do actually have a physical release in Japan, which I may want for collecting purposes if I love the game in question - case in point, Pandora's Reflection. I guess this was none too clear, so I edited my post a bit to make things clearer. ^^

      Delete
    2. Just this week I finished my Final Fantasy DS collection, for instance! And I still wanna import Yggdra Union (PSP) from the US as well the sequels/prequels Blaze Union and Gloria Union. Also, Metal Max 2 for the DS is a must buy for me that I waited a long time. And I still have a small GBA wishlist as well, but finding them is a pain in the ass.
      Oh, and tomorrow my japanese Final Fantasy X and X-2 Twin Pack for the Vita will probably arrive!

      Ups, so you did! :p I guess it slipped my mind. My bad!
      (I went and re-read your articles on Pandora's Reflection and now I'm itching for a quick replay of it! But I already have 6 or so games to finish... Damn, so many games so little time.)

      Delete
    3. Talking about Final Fantasy X-2 and re-reading articles, I took a look at your post about the former; and heck, I really want to play it right now! Maybe I'll just cave in; but that would have to be without FFX under my belt. I tried to play that game twice already and it simply doesn't click with me. At all. I just don't care one bit about the story, and the gameplay segments are too short and too scripted to draw me in. :( I don't think skipping FFX would prevent me from enjoying FFX-2 though, especially since I already know that Titus kicks the bucket in the end... :P

      Delete
    4. Try reading a summary of FFX's story. I honestly really like FFX, but the slowpaced story and cutscenes is a real turn off, even back then on the PS2 era. Nothing compares to playing the actual game though, but it's something.
      You'll probably like FFX-2's gameplay a lot more than FFX's. It's a lot less about micro managing equipment and skill acquisition and more about class synergy.

      Oh, and there's also that "extra" game mode that works like a roguelike! It's not exactly hard as other roguelikes, but give it a shot anyway.

      Delete
    5. I'll do that, thank you. ^^

      A rogue-lite mode in an FF? Don't say more, I'm sold!

      Delete