06/11/2015

Demon Gaze: Ce n'est qu'un au revoir


Now is the time to craft my ultimate post about Demon Gaze, before other dungeon crawlers take the scene. I'll keep it neat and nice, with a digest of my run followed by a list of the points that charmed me the most and a list of the points that moderately annoyed me and that I would love to see corrected in an hypothetical sequel. Without further ado, here are my final thoughts about Demon Gaze!

So, here's my run in a nutshell. I played for 38 hours, which is quite a reasonable amount of time for a dungeon crawler, and reached Lv. 72. I stuck to the same three Artifacts the whole time, namely Counter, Killer Edge and Slash (1 then 2), as they were perfectly fit for a solo run; the last two slots accommodated whichever extra Artifact I found, although none of them stuck for long. My favourite and most used demons were Mars, Chronos, Venus and Neptune; I occasionally cruised around with Comet, Hermes, Uranus and Pluto and never touched Jupiter and Astro. I obtained very few pieces of gear, usually sticking to the same ones for hours on end; this occasionally created slight unbalance problems, as I found myself overpowered by enemies because of my outdated equipment. I farmed gear very seldom and never needed to grind for money since I was playing solo; I level-grinded only twice, namely before the very first and the very last boss fight of the main game. And that, fellow gamers, is the gist of my run. Now let's move on to the good and not-so-good points of Demon Gaze!


The excellent:

I won't elaborate further on the lovely atmosphere, the solo run-friendliness and the awesome roaming since I already covered them in my first post. Instead, here are the new positive points that I discovered since:

  •  The fan-service is pleasantly varied, catering to every potential audience in equal measure. There's plenty of bare skin, bosoms and revealing outfits, both on males and females. Shotacon and lolicon adepts should be most fond of Lulu, Kukure and Prometh, while the yaoi crew will lap up Cassel and Lezerem's constant bickering and sentences such as Astro's "Take me with those eyes"—addressed to the main character in a deep, nearly sultry voice, of course. Yuri aficionados are not forgotten and get a pleasant treat with Pinay's hilarious obsession with Fran. It's nice to find such an open-minded stance about fan-service, and the pervasive humour at work in the game makes that inclusive brand of fan-service even more palatable. 
  • The boss fights are totally awesome, period. For a more elaborate take on the matter, check out my boss run posts here, there and there.
  • Instead of getting steadily larger, the dungeons inflate and deflate at random throughout the game. The largest and trickiest dungeon of the main game, Grimodar Castle, is located at the halfway mark, while the last and second-last dungeon are even tinier than the very first one, and in-between can be found dungeons of all sizes. This variety keeps the crawling fresh and interesting and injects a modicum of pacing into it. Cherry on the cake, the dungeons always remain easy to navigate and don't overuse cheap traps and tricks to disorient the player and increase the game's longevity.
  • The soundtrack is pure ear-candy—to the point that I was just that close to purchasing the special edition of the game for the OST only. A special mention to the theme track of Fall Palace, a.k.a. "Eden of the Monarch". These choirs!! This orgel!! Oh, the delight!! This track is the epitome of grandeur and one of the best pieces of music I've ever heard in a video game, period.  
  • The demons ooze charisma, so much so that I grew seriously attached to them. I really appreciate that so much effort was put into designing their looks, clothing, attitudes and speech patterns, making them sparkling and magnetic despite the fact that they are not even animated. Cherry on the cake, the voice acting is absolutely stellar, and I couldn't get enough of my demon foils' babbling. And it certainly doesn't hurt that they shine in battle and grant so many passive abilities, now does it? They are simply awesome, and I wouldn't be surprised if I miss them when playing my next first-person dungeon crawler. 
  • The romance with Fran was heart-warming and refreshing—just like the rest of the story. I half-feared that Fran would turn out to be the Real Final Boss in disguise, but these fears were unfounded; instead, I got a lovely "let's live together at the Inn forever!" ending that warmed my soft gamer's heart.


The "could have been a trifle better":

  • I was none too pleased with the fact that the best gear had to be farmed in Demon Circles, preferably with Increase, Strenghten and Gold/Silver/Bronze gems. Regular monster drops are few and far between and mediocre for the most part and the selection available at the Inn is absolutely pitiful, which means that farming is not an option but rather the only way to get something valuable; and to be honest, I resented that. I love grinding, yet I dislike farming; and I would definitely have preferred to grind for money in order to buy ludicrously expensive yet powerful pieces of gear in Cassel's shop rather than to try my luck in Demon Circles and manically reload my save file until I got a good drop. I'm not saying it's an horrible system per se, mind you; it just didn't click with me.
  • The Ether Forge was an awesome idea, but why put limitations on the strengthening? And why are these limitations totally random? It doesn't make sense that some pieces of gear can be strenghtened up to Lv.30 while others can only reach Lv.10. I would have preferred to have access to unlimited strengthening, be it against a hefty sum of money. 
  • The Treasure Maps were an great idea on paper, but the execution was flawed. Each individual map occupies one of the 99 available item slots in the inventory, so carrying these maps around at all times quickly becomes impossible; and once they are tucked away in the Inn's Storage, it's all too easy to forget about them entirely. It certainly doesn't help that most of them refer to places that belong to postgame territory and that they don't mention the name of the dungeon itself, but rather the name of the dungeon subsection where the item can be found, which forces the potential treasure hunter to do a lot of scanning and double-checking. Add to this the fact that the obtained treasures are items rather than pieces of gear and you'll understand why, as my run went on, I got into the habit of selling these maps as soon as I came back from roaming.
  • Only three Demon Slots, no matter how much you level up. That's plain stingy, game! 
  • Instant deaths because my "weakness was exploited", as the game kindly puts it. And no, Poinee Dolls don't work in such instances—tried and tested. Now that's plain cheap, game! 


Well, well. That's all about Demon Gaze for the time being, but I'm far from being done with that game. I loved it with a passion and still do, and I can assert with absolute certainty that this precious cartridge will grace my Vita slot again. And now, on to the next first-person dungeon crawler! Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, the instant death and item farming gets extremely annoying at the end, especially on post-game. I was so sick of the last boss that beating him didn't even give me any satisfaction. I will miss my lovely demons, but my time is done with Demon Gaze. Time to beat Persona 3 Portable once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, congrats for finishing the game anyway! :)

      How was the last boss? Was it some kind of powerhouse with ludicrous stats and underhand tactics like Sol?

      Delete
    2. Kinda. I found him more like Aries, with the insta-death abuse, only with ridiculous multi-hits with high damage outputs. Actually surviving the insta-deaths is easy enough if you use Aries last skill or God Hands, but his damage output is insane even with my maxed out A and S armour and having Chronos. It's just very annoying and luck based if you don't want to item farm forever, especially since I didn't manage to get concentrate EX. And personally I found his design to be terrible compared to the demons and he didn't get as much build up as Sol, so I just found him frustrating overall.

      It's probably an easy boss with a full party, but going solo or with only two characters means it's very hard to soak up all his damage. And since you lose your passives if your demons die (not to mention only Mars does damage worth a damn), you just have to pray he doesn't hit your demons, hence where the luck thing comes in.

      Overall, I think one can be totally satisfied with the end of the normal story and skipping the post-game content, which is not a bad thing.

      Delete
    3. Interesting! If you had trouble with two characters, I guess it's nearly impossible with one. I had started suspecting that these post-game dungeons may not exactly be solo run material, and your description confirms my hunch! Oh, well. Clearing the main game is already satisfying enough!

      Delete
    4. Save that replay Isleif, because I just saw on the Vita lounge that Demon Gaze 2 is going to be released in Japan next year.

      Now, localization is not 100% guaranteed, but given that Tokyo Abyss was translated and bandai namco just trademarked Ray Gigant in Europe (you have no idea how happy that makes me, all I want now is Tokyo Xanadu and Digimon Next Order), I say Exp Inc games are becoming a staple in the west.

      Delete
    5. Oh dear!!! I nearly leapt with joy when I read your comment. Such an avalanche of exciting news!! I swear that if things keep going like that, the Vita is going to become my favourite handheld of all times!

      I was also pinning for Ray Gigant, so I'm totally elated!! Now if someone would be bold enough to localize Omega Labyrinth, I think I could die happy. After playing the game, of course. :)

      Delete
    6. About Omega Labyrinth, Criminal Girls and Dungeon Traveller 2 made it over, so who knows. Maybe they'll slap some censoring here and there and call it a day. Heck, it would not surprise me at all to see even Moero Chronicles make it over (especially since it's by Compile, IF's BFF). The world of the Vita keeps getting brighter by the day.

      Also, Square Enix made another European Trademark, “Adventure of Mana”, which people are guessing is the final fantasy adventure remake. Couple that with Saga Scarlet Grace, and next year already looks exciting. Pretty sure Tokyo Xanadu will be brought over by Xseed too. But it's amazing, even Bandai Namco and Square Enix are now paying attention to the Vita, that can only mean good things for the future.

      Delete
    7. Good things for the future, indeed! It's amazing how the Vita became a niche RPG haven—and heaven—over the years, something Sony had certainly not anticipated.

      Once the production of the Vita is over, I vow to browse its Japanese library and purchase all the RPGs that didn't make it to the West. I did that to some extent for the PSP and DS, and the Vita deserves that treatment even more! I think I'll pass on the 3ds though, for reasons as obvious as they are galling...

      Delete
    8. I advise you to wait a couple of years before you buy the japanese library though, because we are still getting PSP games brought over to this day. If the Vita is Sony's last handheld, the same will most likely happen to it. Or maybe Sony will come to its senses, who knows.

      I'm guessing you already know, but there's yet another Exp Inc game that's being localized, "Stranger of Sword City". I didn't even know about that game. What's interesting is that the art style this time around is more gloomy and realistic (super gorgeous IMO), and so far I've only seen one picture that can be considered fanservice. So I really want to see what the people who hated demon gaze because of the anime graphics and the fanservice will think about this one. Will they finally be able to experience a game from this company? As for me, it's a definite buy.

      Delete
    9. I actually didn't know at all about "Stranger of Sword City" being localized; and I'm overjoyed at the news! This game looks like a terrific dungeon crawler. It seems that 2016 will be a glorious year for the Vita and for niche RPGs—and, last but not least, for us Vita fans! =D

      Delete