09/09/2021

The New Classics

 


 

Let’s face it, dear fellow gamers: I own way too many games.

 

I knew it already, mind you; but that knowledge was kinda abstract, and didn’t compute with its real-life consequences. Said consequences being that there is no way in hell I can manage to play and enjoy all the games I own in the rest of my lifetime.

 

Mind you again, I probably could if I wanted to: by following the OWOG system to a T, six-or-so years would be enough to play all the games in my precious collection. But the thing is, I’m curious about a million things besides gaming, and I’m a serial game replayer to boot. This means that those six years are a totally unrealistic estimate; twenty to twenty-five years seem much closer to the mark.

 

Not only is such a time requirement stupidly enormous, but I might actually end up spending an uncanny amount of time playing games I only marginally enjoy, instead of replaying games I adore. That is a glaring issue because a) I tend to only want the best as a rule, and b) I don’t know how much time I have left, and I’d rather spend it playing my own cult classics over and over rather than plod through barely likeable games.   

 

  

Something’s obviously got to give; and that something is none other than the very size of my precious collection that decrease in size being directly correlated to an increase in quality. The master plan is pretty simple, dear fellow gamers: to shear my collection until only my very own cult classics are left standing hence this post’s title.   

 

I have to balance that grand undertaking with my gaming curiosity, as well as with my limited gaming time; but lucky me, I have devised the perfect system to do so. That system is a variation of the ‘One-Hour-Review’ system created by my fellow gamer and blogger Kina mighty shout-out to her! See, I’ve noticed one crucial thing over the years: the games I like the most are always games I like immediately. With that axiom firmly in tow, I’m going to sift through my entire collection and sort things out.

 

   

Practically, I’ll take a two-hour bite of every single game in my collection starting now. If that bite dazzles me, the game will be granted the cult classic status and remain in my Unikeep binders, for all eternity. If that bite leaves me cold, the game will be pawned to my favourite video game shop, to be rightfully enjoyed by another fellow gamer take a piece and pass it on, to quote the Red Hot Chili Peppers. 

 

Of course, there will be a short and sweet review of each and every two-hour session, for your enjoyment as well as mine. I’ll relish that change of pace, and it will inject some welcome bounce into my gaming routine. I’ll see ya soon with my very first ‘New Classics’ post, dear fellow gamers; keep gaming like the wind, and take care! 

 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan. 2 hours is more than enough to sort the classics from the time-wasters. Looking forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than enough indeed. Let's face it : a game you start loving after 10 hours of play is not a cult classic of yours. It's an acquired taste at best, and a blatant case of Stockholm Syndrom at worst. 😂

      Delete