20/06/2021

Mary Skelter 2: Yes, but not really

 


We’re talking about a super-elusive game here; a game which, unlike its prequel and upcoming sequel, was not granted a wide physical release on our shores. That game happens to belong to one of my favourite subgenres under the RPG sun, which should have warranted an immediate and brainless purchase… And would have, if not for the fact that this same game’s price tag ranges from 125 to 350 bucks on Ebay for the Limited Run physical edition shipping not included, b*tch.

 

Even a serial collector like me had to balk at purchasing such an expensive game. Not just an expensive game, mind you; an expensive game sandwiched between two much more affordable entries. And so, I settled for the next best thing: to purchase MS2 digitally, and to try it right away to see if it was worth the investment. 

 


As you guessed already, the answer after a couple of hours of play is not quite: I won’t pounce to grab a copy of MS2 on Ebay, neither now nor ever. Heck, I’m not even sure I’ll ever play the thing beyond that first foray, which I actually cut short a first for a FPDC. The reason is pretty simple: although MS2 sports some perfectly decent FPDC mechanics, it grosses me out. The yucky factor is strong with that game: from the foul colours of the dungeons to the vile fuzziness of the graphics, the whole thing screams decay and gloominess. And when you add the grotesque aesthetics, the body horror elements in the story, the (heavily censored but still kinda disgusting) blood-splattering gimmick in combat, the repulsive SFX, the discordant soundtrack and the stressful pursuit by foes, you get a game that I don’t quite fancy playing. If I fancied being stressed or nauseated by a game, I would play survival horror, thank you very much.

 

Long story short: MS2 and I are not meant together, I’m afraid. I won’t go as far as to erase it now that it’s on a memory card; but I’m honestly not sure I’ll ever feel like playing it again. Also, I’ll check the level of grossness carefully before committing to a purchase of Mary Skelter Finale. See ya soon, dear fellow gamers!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment