23/05/2021

Pokemon Sword: The Boltund Solo Run

 


I said I was going to stop playing S&S after my Starters Runs well, guess what? I lied! Or not exactly, actually. I was totally planning to let the games rest, until my gaming instinct was stirred by a completely unrelated event. See, I was listening to some Lana Del Rey; and as the chorus of ‘Body Electric’ shimmied in my ears, a though struck me like a lightning bolt from the blue (ooh yes indeed): I had to tackle a solo run with a Boltund, and I had to call the creature Body Electric. And I had to do all of that no later than immediately, because that flight of fancy just wouldn’t leave my brain. What’s a gamer to do but listen to the gaming instinct, hey?

 


My BodyElectric turned out to be that lone Yamper that pops up in the middle of Route 2. It’s a non-respawning Wanderer, which made it unique and precious; and it became even more precious to me when I discovered that it was blessed with a Brave Nature. Now that’s the perfect hook to start raving about Boltund’s stats, which are some of the most friggin’ perfect I’ve ever seen. Tell me of another ‘Mon that boast sky-high Attack and Sp. Attack, paired with even higher Speed and perfectly serviceable defensive stats and HP? Boltund might seriously be one of the most well-rounded ‘Mons when it comes to stats, with great assets and no crippling weakness. 

 


And the electric canine’s assets don’t stop there, ooh no precious. We have to talk about them Moves because holy moly, is Boltund well-endowed in that department indeed. When I saw BodyElectric learn Bite and Crunch upon gaining levels, I was afraid Boltund would be the canine version of Luxray, namely a would-be Electric/Dark ‘Mon with the design to match; however, my fears blessingly dissipated as I discovered the full extent of the dog’s learnset. On top of a crap ton of Electric Moves, Boltund has access to Fire, Fairy, Ground and Psychic offensive Moves. Granted, we’re talking about a single Move in each one of these extra Types; still, that’s more than enough to put together a kickass Move pool with intense coverage.

 


After a bit of fooling around with Swift, Façade and Spark, I proceeded to assemble said kickass Move pool. BodyElectric knew Crunch and Play Rough already, and I wanted to get my greedy paws on Psychic Fangs and Electro Ball. I favoured the latter over Wild Charge for obvious reasons: not only would Electroball spare me the recoil damage, but with Boltund’s Speed being through the roof, I was assured to wreak havoc on the battlefield. A couple of Dynamax Raids yielded those much-wanted TRs, along with Hyper Voice as a bonus. I hadn’t planned on getting a Normal Move; but I reasoned that wielding a Special Move maybe wasn’t so bad, especially a Move with 90 Power. When all was said and learnt, my whole Move pool boasted 85-and-beyond Power which, let’s face it, is truly dazzling for an Electric ‘Mon. 

 


Actually, Boltund as a whole is dazzling. Heck, it’s electrifying, that’s what it is! I know that’s a super-easy pun to make — but heck, it’s friggin’ true. Boltund is simply one of the best Electric ‘Mons ever created, if not the absolute best. It made me fall in love with the Electric Type even more and mind you, I loved that Type a helluva lot already. (Now that I think of it, I should totally write a post about my Top 5 Favourite Types one of these days.) That run was pure pleasure from beginning to end, and I’m glad to part with S&S on such a high note again. I’ll see you soon with fresh gaming goodness, dear fellow gamers; in the meantime, keep playing and take care!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment