27/05/2020

Yo-kai Watch: Definitely not for me


Next pawning indeed.
Let's set the scene, dear fellow gamers: as I was hovering around the Nintendo area in a supermarket for the first time in weeks, I suddenly spotted the Yo-kai Watch 2 pair of games. Remembering that this was the only famous monster - collecting series I had not touched yet, I was tempted to just pounce and grab them — of only because it had been so darn long since I last secured a game in a brick and mortar store. Fortunately, I managed to hold myself back, thanks to the very sensible thought that I'd better check first if the series was my cup of tea at all.

That's how I found myself booting up my Yo-kai Watch cartridge that very evening, eager to get my answer. As you guessed already, that answer was resoundingly negative, and the rest of the series won't be granted access to my precious collection indeed. Not only that, but I'm going to pawn my cartridge as soon as I can, because there is virtually no chance I'll ever touch that game again. I won't elaborate since I played for hardly 20 minutes; suffice it to say that the first battle was the decisive point. No matter how tolerant I am towards RPG battle systems, I just cannot accept a battle system that doesn't even let me input commands. Full automatic combat is where I draw the line, folks; and thus Yo-kai Watch and I are not meant together. Needless to say, I'm so glad I didn't purchase the sequels on the spot.

Next pick maybe?
And now, on to the next playthrough, which will hopefully be longer and more conclusive! I just finished FFII and started Animal Crossing: New Horizons; and, to my utter surprise, I find myself really wanting to play Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. The gaming instinct wants what it wants, indeed; and if this bewildering choice of its is more than a whim, then I'll be more than happy to comply. I'm also itching for some Fire Emblem; and soon will come the days of my annual revisitation of Pokemon X&Y. I'll see you soon with all that gaming goodness, dear fellow gamers; until then, keep gaming and take care!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I've had this game for years, and I've also not gotten past the two hour mark. But it's not the combat that turns me off completely it's just...the whole atmosphere of the game I guess? There's just something about it that doesn't pull me in like Digimon, Pokemon and even Mocco Friends does. Maybe I don't like the modern city setting? But I liked the real world segments in Digimon games...

    Well, I'm keeping my copies of all the games anyways. Never know if it's gonna be a FFXIII situation, a game that I tried to get into several times and couldn't get past the 10 hours mark, yet on my last attempt I loved it so much I spet about 130 hours on it and got the platinum trophy.

    But either way, not the Pokemon killer it was touted to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not a Pokemon killer by any means indeed... But I can see why the game appeals to young kids, especially Japanese ones. And honestly, I would probably have kept playing if not for the automatic combat, because I rather liked the overall atmosphere. Oh, well.

      Guess what: I finally purchased a used copy of FFXIII - FFXIII-2 for the PC! I've been been curious about that game for years; so when I saw a dirt cheap disc ready for the taking on Ebay, I just pounced. Playing FFII rekindled my interest for the series, and I'm quite determined to play all the entries I can get my paws on. Maybe I'll even give FFVII a try; since I renounced that game entirely a couple of years ago, all the expectations linked to its cult classic status have virtually dissolved; we now have a blank slate when it comes to FFVII, so maybe the time is ripe to play it. We'll see!^^

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you weren't thrilled with the combat system! I adored the story and the Japanese-heavy themes and town, but I agree with you that the combat was a bit boring. The boss fights were a lot of fun, scrambling around to spin the wheel and burn through the minigames, but by the end of the game I was definitely done.

    Looking forward to the X&Y runs! My favorite Pokemon installment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely to read, my friend! You shouldn't have to wait too long now; I already selected my One and 'Monly for my first 2020 X&Y run, and I'll get down to it once I'm done with the RPG I'm currently playing. Can't wait! :D

      Delete