11/03/2020

Pokemon Let's Go Eevee: A digest


I was initially planning to write a list of all the things I loved in LGE; but I quickly realized that such a list would quite be massive and indigestible indeed, and that it would be much faster to list the teeny-tiny number of things I kinda disliked. To sum it up: I loved absolutely everything about LGE, apart from the things below.


No Bike! I recently started to use the Bike in my runs for faster roaming; and just when I learn to appreciate that tool's virtues, GameFreak takes it away from me? That's not fair! I know that rideable 'Mons are supposed to replace the Bike in LGE, but they're not nearly as convenient. For one thing, you must have them in your active team to ride them; for another, they're all huge and kinda hard to manoeuvre.

The total absence of Breeding: No compensation mechanism this time, Breeding cannot be performed in any way, shape or form in LGE. I understand the rationale behind that exclusion: Let's Go was designed as a return to form, a celebration of everything Gen I stood for; and thus it makes total sense to have things exactly as in Yellow and not offer Breeding. I do understand; but I'm sad still, because Breeding would have made that game absolutely perfect as far as I'm concerned. Not being able to Breed will dramatically reduce the number of solo runs I can tackle, making LGE a mere Eevee solo run simulator instead of the grand Gen I revisitation it could have been.

Fly is too hard to find: I missed Fly entirely despite making a habit of talking to every single NPC. That's a shame, especially since LGE went above and beyond the call of duty to make HMs accessible and get rid of all the Gen I travel roadblocks. Not having Fly in my arsenal needlessly lengthened my run; so next time, I'm gonna cheat shamelessly and snatch Fly with a little help from internet wisdom.


That's pretty much the full extent of my issues with LGE; needless to say, I can totally live with that. I'll wrap up that post by saying that this game is everything a remake should be. It feels new and fresh yet lovingly familiar, and it retains the best of the original while improving on it tremendously. My brother-in-law, who's a dyed-in-the-wool genwunner, is consumed by LGE right now — and getting the same kind of Game Boy vibes from it as I did, which makes me say that this game totally managed to capture the purest, brightest essence of Gen I. Gee, could it be that I kinda became a genwunner? At any rate, my love for Kanto has never been more vibrant!


Oh, and a last-minute reveal before I take French leave: my sister, who dropped Platinum after five minutes of play because it was too grindy for her taste, has been playing LGE for 12 hours and counting. If that ain't a proof of LGE's quality and wholesomeness, I don't know what is. And now, on to the next Poke-adventure!

2 comments:

  1. We have some very similar opinions of the Let's Go games! I absolutely missed having the bike, so I ended up keeping a Rhydon in my party on which to cruise around. I never got into breeding but I'm not the hardcore Pokemon player that you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You flatter me, Geddy! :D I'm not that much of a hardcore Pokemon player, really. :)

      It's just that breeding, when combined with trade, is really convenient to perform solo runs with late-game 'Mons. Needless to say, I keep it simple and don't dabble in rare moves or IV when I breed. A Ditto, the 'Mon I want to duplicate, and voilĂ ! A cute lv.1 'Mon I can send to another cartridge for a solo run.

      Delete