13/02/2020

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Rescue Team DX: Yes please!


I got my precious Switch Lite a mere one and a half month ago, and I've bought waaay too many games for it already. But no matter how liberal I am when it comes to gaming purchases, I still maintain a strict policy of NOT purchasing Switch ports and remakes of games I already own on other handhelds. This means that Switch titles such as Fate Extella Link, Disgaea 1 Complete or The Lost Child are, no matter how tempting they may be to yours truly, a total no-buy. However, every rule needs an exception; and in that case, the (most welcome) exception is none other than Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX, a remake of a game I first played and wrote about a good six years ago.


Back in the days, I spared no words to illustrate my dislike of the original. At the time, I was mostly disturbed by the primitive graphics and the random dungeon design; however, I quickly learnt to accept the former as an essential element of the Pokemon series' DNA, and the latter as part and parcel of the Roguelike genre. After playing and loving Explorers of Sky and Gates to Infinity, I gave Blue Rescue Team another chance; unfortunately, I was totally put off by the slow and clunky gameplay, and decided to part with the game for good. As I exited the pawn shop, I was utterly convinced I would never, ever play that game again; and I couldn't help but feel a mite sad over not liking the original instalment of one of my favourite Roguelite series out there.


But lo and behold, Rescue Team DX is coming; and it's giving me the delicious and most unexpected opportunity to get over my hard feelings towards Blue Rescue Team. That remake literally solves all my issues with the original game: it offers prettier graphics (the coloured pencil effect is the most adorably regressive eye-candy I've seen this side of Yoshi's Island) and dungeons that look more naturalistic, along with much snappier and smoother gameplay. Not only that, but it even solves issues I didn't have, such as not being able to choose my main 'Mon! Of course, I chose Skitty as said main 'Mon, with Pikachu as my comrade-in-arms. The demo was short and sweet, and delightful all around: the remake nicely — and wisely — retains the swiftness of the original, with only the minimal amount of cutscenes and lightning fast immersion into all things roaming & crawling. I harbour very warm feelings towards Rescue Team DX already, and I'm preciously keeping my save data safe until it get to play the real thing.


All in all, I can't help but marvel at the twists and turns of gaming fate: never in a million years did I think I could finally play and enjoy that game, so many years after playing it and ranting writing about it for the first time! I'm hyped up for Rescue Team DX and waiting impatiently for the 6th of march; and I'm seriously hoping that this unexpected remake will pave the way for more PMD entries on the Switch. Lovely Pokemon and crawling days ahead!

6 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to this as well, which means it's the first pokemon game on the switch I'm hyped (though I did like Let's Go, forced motion controls aside).

    I just have one question, do the graphics hurt? I mean, it may just be because I wear glasses and my eyes have felt tired for more than a month due to lack of sleep, but while the graphics do look gorgeous, looking at the screenshots for more than two seconds makes my eyes hurt. Do they look smoother in motion?

    (Don't have time to try the demo right now, though I really should...but Rune Factory 4 comes out on the 28th, so I need to finish my current game before that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The graphics look very smooth in motion. There's this lovely hand-drawn effect that's really easy on the eye — like, literally. I don't think you should have any problem playing RTDX; and if you have any doubt, you can still try the demo. ^^

      Delete
    2. I saw some videos on youtube and it looks incredibly good on my phone; it's just the screenshots that look odd.

      I'll hopefully get sick leave soon, so I'll use that extra time to try out the demo. I need to settle on a partner for my Eevee anyways, so a short demo is the perfect time to do that. I'm leaning towards my favourite starter Bulbasaur, but Pikachu might be fun too, since I never use him.

      Delete
    3. Funny that you should mention sick leave in connection with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, because... I played Explorers of Sky precisely when I was on sick leave! I remember playing for hours on end for the first time in months, and relishing those moments despite being sick. Needless to say, that game's cuteness also had a real feel-good effect that was most welcome at the time!

      Delete
    4. Little update, on sick leave now and I've played this demo over and over...it's absolutely beautiful in motion! I haven't played super mystery dungeon yet, so I don't know if all the QoL improvements and little details we're seeing debuted in there of if they're the work of just the remake, but I love all of it! Especially the push mechanic, I started laughing the first time my Eevee began to push her partner around (and lead him right into an enemy :P this was before the tutorial told you about it). Also being able to pick yours and your partner's gender now is super nice, instead of it being set by species.

      (hope they remake Sky, cause I'd love that last feature there).

      Tried out a lot of partners. I mainly liked Bulbasaur, Mudkip, Cubone, Pikachu and...Cyndaquil, who I ended up going with for the full game since he was the pokemon I got several times when I took the quiz and he learns smokescreen, a stupidly OP move. While I love my normal type mons, having no super effective moves means we need all the help we can get.

      The game's cuteness is having a real feel-good effect on me as well :)

      Delete
    5. That's lovely to hear!:) I'd probably be doing the same, if I weren't too busy playing some other addictive stuff :P

      Anyway, the game is released tomorrow and I just can't WAIT for it! It will totally be one of those (too rare) games that I play right out of the box. Bring it on, my body is ready! *_*

      Delete