16/01/2020

Switch Lite: My precious!



Let's get straight to the point: I hated the regular Switch, but I love the Switch Lite. Love, love, love it!

And why wouldn't I love it, when it solves nearly every single issue I had with its big sister? The Lite is mercifully lighter than the Regular, boasts longer battery life and better materials that don't gather finger grease and specks of dust, and doesn't heat up during playing sessions. It also sports a most welcome D-Pad and a screen whose size just hits the sweet spot: large enough to offer great immersion and be easy on the eyes, yet small enough to give that intimate, cosy, snuggly feeling I love to get from my handhelds.

And since I mention this... The Switch Lite also nicely takes care of my biggest beef with the Regular, namely that said Regular didn't feel like a portable console. The Lite, on the other hand, is a portable through and through. Not only is it hardly bigger than a Vita, but it boasts the compactness and solidity that are part and parcel of being a handheld. Goodbye drifting and connectivity issues, hello perennity and Switch collecting!

Because indeed, I'm very much going to collect for the Switch Lite. You didn't expect less from me, did you? ^__^ I know I somewhat sniffed at the Switch library two years ago; but that was then, and now my collecting instinct are waking up and dying for some new purchases — not to mention that the Switch library has become much meatier and more interesting in the meantime.

In a nutshell: if you're a handheld aficionado, I totally encourage you to get your paws on the Switch Lite. It's not just a smaller version of the Switch: it's an entirely different console, period. I wouldn't touch a Regular again even if you paid me; but I'll happily secure a couple of extra Lites, thank you very much. Now I'm curious to see if the Regular will remain the preferred option, or if the Lite will simply take over and become the new portable à la mode. Can TV connectivity, motion controls and bigger dimensions fight off what is virtually a perfect handheld? Let's wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment