05/08/2019

Pokemon LeafGreen: The Venusaur Solo Run


It had to come to this: a solo run with the granddaddy of all Grass Starters, the venerable and immensely popular Bulbasaur. And oh boy, is that immense popularity well deserved. I though Treecko was the best Grass Starter the series had to offer; but it turned out that Bulbasaur is even better, and by a couple of leagues to boot. It's sadly ironic that GameFreak managed to nail the Grass Starter formula perfectly the first time around, only to squander their knowledge in the matter and deliver a host of unbalanced Grass Starters as gens went on.

Bulbasaur is the utter embodiment of what I've always thought Grass Starters should be: a late-blooming 'Mon with stellar defensive stats and decent attack stats, who slowly but surely grow into a powerhouse as levels pile up. That process is neatly symbolized by the growth of the giant flower on Bulby's back — a coincidence that's too perfect not to be intentional. My first steps with the grassy creature were definitely tedious: while the early Gym Leaders were a cinch, I was routinely hindered by the most unlikely opponents of them all, namely the Bug Catchers littering Kanto. My Bulby (fittingly renamed Hibiscus) was way too weak to take down those pesky insects in one turn (or even two or three, for that matter), especially with his non-effective Grass Moves and the infuriatingly inaccurate Tackle; as a result, battles dragged on, and only Bulby's natural sturdiness prevented him from being knocked out cold before the end of hostilities.

Only after Misty's Water Gym did my little Hibiscus become powerful enough to one-shoot the opposition; and from then on, there was no turning back. The rest of my run was a complete cakewalk, with Gym distribution in my favour and random Trainers quickly and neatly submitting to Hibiscus' indomitable strength. The only true issue I encounter while cruising Kanto was PP depletion, which forced me to backtrack to the nearest town on a regular basis; but since I was fortunate enough to get hold of both Fly and the bike early on, those forced detours hardly hurt. But back to combat: I only struggled ever-so-slightly during the Pokemon League showdown, which forced me to strategize for a change; and after hours spent blazing through Kanto with nary a worthy opponent to hinder me, that change of pace at End Game's doors was most welcome.

My Move pool was a complete Grass fest: Leech Seed, Vine Whip, Bullet Seed, Giga Drain and Razor Leaf all came to adorn it, and Solar Beam would have too if not for its two-turn nature that makes it totaly unfit for solo endeavours. I was a bit miffed not to be granted an offensive Poison Move that would have taken advantage of Bulby's secondary Type; but with Gen I being Gen I, I cannot even pretend I was surprised by that oversight. I stumbled upon Return by complete happenstance, and was more than delighted to get rid of bloody Tackle; then, I snatched Earthquake in the Viridian City Gym, and slapped it on my Bulby in lieu of the immensely useful but weak Bullet Seed. Better late than never, indeed! Tiny yet eminently efficient, that's how I'd describe Bulbasaur's learnset — especially in Kanto.

Since I'm mentioning Kanto, that region was even more impossibly grindy than in my memories — which, as you may imagine, totally delighted me and soon put me in the sweetest trance. What had failed to imprint in my memory, on the other hand, was the annoying segment on the south islands. First, I was forced to cross the darn tedious Pokemon Mansion before I was allowed to tackle the Fire Gym; then, before I could Fly back to the mainland and the next Gym as I planned, I was kidnapped by Bill and sent on a unskippable fetch quest while he chilled out with Celio. Was that part always that irritating? I guess it was, although I failed to remember it. Oh, well.

Yup, I've made you my b*tch. Suck it up.
At any rate, I'm now done with the Kanto Starters, and I understand better Bulbasaur's enduring popularity. Not only is his design top-notch and totally cohesive with his slow growth, but said slow growth also perfectly complements Charmander's lightning fast one. I'm now itching to replay the Gen I remakes with Squirtle and see if he falls perfectly in the middle. And with that, dear fellow gamers, the 2019 Pokemon Summer Season comes to an end. New gaming shores await! As for blogging, I'll be cut from internet during the next two weeks, so don't worry if you don't hear a peep from me. Or, to quote one sore loser I vanquished not so long ago: smell ya later!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, convert to the side of the Bulbasaur lovers. I was a Charmander girl as a kid, because I was dumb and a fan of spyro, plus Bulbassaur didn't even have a version for himself, so how could he possibly be cooler than a dragon?

    Coming back to pokemon in my late teens and then finally going back to play the remakes, boy were my eyes opened. Nowadays, I always pick him if he's available early (so this includes Kalos), even when I'm playing Nuzlockes. None of that "picking a starter at random" rule when my dear frog-dinosaur-flower baby is involved.

    You should see him hopping around in Let's Go. It's bloody adorable. As are all his previous forms, but seeing a huge pokemon like that hop after you...if his pupils were round, he'd be the cutest third stage evolution ever.

    Too bad GF is totally basic and decided to only listen to the kids from 20 years ago, so now Charizard get heaps of love (can't get over how he's the main pokemon of the new game's champion, after already coming back in the anime and having two megas. Enough!) and screw the rest. Bulbasaur's mega? Heh, just make his plant bigger, who cares if that should totally crush his spine by this point.

    I think I played Squirtle maybe twice? I seem to recall he's better than Charmander, but he failed to endear himself to me. So he should actually fall percectly in the middle.

    And as for GF nailing the grass starter and then messing it up...looking back on it, that sure was a warning sign (among many others) about GF's shortcomings that are full on hitting us now. I guess there's nothing wrong with changing how a type is played now and then, but not when it's completely unbalanced with the other starters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Unbalanced" is the word. The difference between Serperior and Emboar when it comes to battle prowess and overall efficiency in a solo run is so wide it's not even funny. We're not talking about a mere gap here, but rather about a canyon of epic proportions. But hey, maybe that's an extreme case.

      Although I'm reluctant to run with Grass Starters, I now realize that I nearly played them all; the only Grass Starters I still have to cruise with are the ones from Gen II and IV. Incidentally, I've only cruised with one of the three Starters in those two Gens so far — Piplup in Gen IV and Cyndaquil in Gen II, and I can hardly remember the latter. Maybe I should give him another try in my freshly purchased digital copy of Crystal. More Starter runs ahead, yay!

      Delete
  2. I just beated Pokemon Green Leaf with Bulbasaur as my main Pokemon! He's the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I usually don't fancy Grass Starters, but cruising LeafGreen with the Venusaur line was a complete blast from beginning to end :D

      Delete