17/05/2019

Pokemon Y: The Absol Solo Run


Since it has now been proven that I can run solo with traded 'Mons in X&Y, the time was ripe for me to dabble into Mega Evolution. I was always forced to give that appetizing feature a pass in my solo runs, as all my Ones and Onlies so far had either been forbidden to take part in the ME fun or granted the right to mega-evolve only after the credits rolled; but now, nothing stood between me and that ultimate evolution stage. I chose Absol as my first lone ranger with ME included, because a) I've been wanting to run solo with him forever, and b) his ME looks gorgeous as all hell. All it took was a bout of Ditto breeding in my X save and a quick trip to Kilourde Town to snatch the Absolite, and voilĂ ! My newborn Absol was ready to travel to my Y cartridge, with the Absolite safely tucked wherever 'Mons keep held items, and could start wreaking havoc right away.

Absol's name might as well be a shortcut for "Absolutely Fabulous"; because oh my, is that 'Mon dope indeed. With an Attack stat that totally goes through the roof and a great learnset covering pretty much all the bases when it comes to elemental complementarities, Absol is stellar solo run material and is hands down the best Dark 'Mon I've had the pleasure of cruising with so far. My Move pool was delightfully varied and darn efficient: Night Slash, Thunder and Psycho Cut were the main fixtures for most of my run, supplemented by Flamethrower and Ice Beam as we got closer to the Pokemon League. On top of that, I had the opportunity to experiment with Moves never handled before. The first one was Future Sight, which looked awesome on paper yet turned out to be unfit for a solo run setting and was thus promptly ditched; the second one was Me First, which I hereupon deem one of the best Normal Move ever created since the dawn of the series. Not only was it fun to use, with the surprise element of never knowing what your opponent had up their sleeve, but it was amazingly efficient as well you'd never believe how many 'Mons wield Moves belonging to types they are weak to. I had so much fun with all these Moves that I decided to give my beloved Return a pass all the more so as Mega Evolution could trample any type resistance anyway.

Talking about this, how was my first experience with Gen VI's star feature? The answer is: pretty awesome indeed. It was incredibly satisfying to boot up my Absol's ME in the heat of battle and watch her become that unstoppable war horse; and it was even more incredibly satisfying to be able to do it over and over again. ME beautifully made up for Absol's lack of evolution, with the added bonus of getting to see my Absol evolve in such a way multiple times over the course of my run. I daresay that ME is actually too overpowered for a solo run setting, and made all things fighting a mite too smooth and easy especially when applied to a 'Mon as strong as Absol. Of course, that absolutely won't prevent me from using the thing again if I get the opportunity because I just love bulldozing everything that moves in my Pokemon runs, yeah baby.

In a nutshell, this was an excellent run and very convincing first try at ME. Only time will tell if I dabble in it again, but I'd bet that it will be the case indeed. As for Absol, I will definitely give him the opportunity to shine as a lone ranger in his home region at some point; that may also allow me to test if solo runs with traded 'Mons are viable in Gen III under more stringent obedience level caps. Thanks for reading as usual, dear fellow gamers, and stay tuned for more Pokemon goodness!

6 comments:

  1. Mega Absol is the only mega I like besides Mega Beedrill, Mega Pidgeot and Mega Gengar. But Absol is a genuinely good pokemon, and popular to boot (as you can tell by the way you can get it fairly easily in many gens), so it's no surprise it gave you no trouble.

    Too bad Sun and Moon revealed mega evolution to be a cruel form of abuse, so now I can never use any of those pokemon in good conscience!

    Beedrill would be another interesting candidate for a solo run with it's mega.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Mega Beedrill's looks; also, it's a Bug 'Mon, and I want to cruise with more of these. That makes two excellent reasons to tackle a Mega Beedrill run! ^__^

      GameFreak retconning their own universe constantly annoys the crap out of me, especially when it casts a shade on older games. Why can't they just treat every gen like its own independent entity and leave it at that? We gamers, especially older ones, know that gameplay features cannot always be incorporated into a game's lore; and we're clever enough to close our eyes and basically ignore discrepancies between games. We don't need to be spoon-fed silly explanations and given some continuity we never even asked for in the first place. I'd rather have gameplay features exclusive to each gen without any sort of comment, rather than this hideously stupid and clunky parallel universe theory GameFreak pulled out of their arses these last years.

      Delete
    2. It's even worse since they don't bother explaining why other features don't return; like, why are following pokemon not a thing in every game? Is it because most trainers are cruel jerks who confine their slaves to a ball except to fight? I know the technical reason (GF are lazy jerks hiding behind the ´hardware can't handle it´excuse, good luck pulling that after Let's Go), but since they explain why Mega Evolution is evil, why don't they explain other things?

      It's also an extremely bad sign that they destroyed that feature so badly in only one gen. And for what? Wasn't it fairly well received? All I can think off is that they got tired of thinking about new designs and updating old pokemon, so out the window it went.

      Doesn't bode well for Z moves, which in one hand, good, I hate Z moves, but on the other hand, why bother hyping up new features if they're only going to be in one gen? Aren't contests and it's two billion variations and following pokemon enough for that? It tells me that GF doesn't really know how to keep Pokemon from stagnating.

      Delete
    3. Apart from following 'Mons, which I would DIE to see in every game, I'm quite fine with the idea of gen-exclusive features that don't make a return in the next entry. It makes each generation unique and gives it an added value, along with a excellent reason to replay and revisit it.

      Now obviously, that would imply treating each gen as is own entity and not drawning narrative ties between gens, or diving head first into that whole parallel universe thing; but I don't think I'd mind either way. Not that my opinion matters at all, mind you, since GameFreak chose to go a different way and to craft an overarching universe and lore for Pokemon.

      Delete
    4. They could have gone that way, and it would have been simple. Digimon does that, but when they want to fan-service and re-use a character, they do it in various ways. Either by actually explaining it, hiding it in a skipable sidequest, or making it a very tiny part of the story.

      Making it part of the story does annoy me, but it's better than what pokemon did. Granted, Digimon had to do this, since early in the franchise each game radically changed genres, so there was no way they could explain it with an unified lore. And granted, I could actually respect GF wanting to keep it all in one universe, and annoyances aside, I did so for a long time...

      ...then came Delta Episode in OR/AS, and things started to go sour. Then came the story of Sun and Moon, and everything rotted. Then came Team Rainbow Rocket, and now not even maggots want to crawl around in the filth anymore. If you're going to do stuff this poorly GF, just declare every generation to have its own continuity like the spin offs, and sprinkle a few fan service here and there.

      Darn Rainbow Rocket. I was happy to never see Team Magma, Team Aqua and Team Flare again. But no, and I got a rocket drilled through continuity for the pleasure too. I admit not all of the universe bending digimon does is good, but dear lord!

      Delete
    5. I just LOVE your deliciously eloquent way of expressing the depths of your feelings towards Gamefreak's recent crap. :P I'm especially fond of the 'maggots crawling in the filth' image — so exquisitely colourful! :D

      Delete