20/04/2019

Nintendo Switch: See you around


It's official, dear fellow gamers: my Switch days are over. I just sold my Switch on an impulse, which is beautifully ironic given that this was an impulse purchase to start with — we've come full circle, so to speak.

As for the reasons behind that most unexpected move, they are aplenty. There's the fact that I hardly touched my Switch in the last year, which made me think that I wouldn't miss the thing too much indeed. Also, I cannot deny that I was in serious danger of being overwhelmed: it seems that I can safely deal with five consoles, but six consoles is one too much. Well, at least I know my collecting limits now, don't I? I'm sure my bank account will appreciate the respite, oh yes precious.

Not only that, but the more I play the Switch, the more my aversion for it grows. I dislike the Switch's weight, its size, its shape, the very feel of it in my hands. No matter how hard I try to convince myself that I'm dealing with a portable console, that darn piece of kit fails to give me that snuggly, cosy and intimate vibe I get from my other (genuine) handhelds. To make matters worse, my Octopath Traveler sessions left me with a mild case of tendinitis that I'm currently trying to recover from, and my right hand just cannot take anymore the heat that routinely flows from the right side of the system. 

With my Switch gone, my OT playthrough comes to an abrupt end; I apologize if you were waiting eagerly for my run reports, dear fellow gamers. (There will be a final post about the game, I promise). This also means no Pokemon Sword & Shield for me, nor any of the games I had my eye on — at least, not for the time being. I've reverted to my original plan, i.e. to wait a couple of years — and hopefully a lighter, smaller model — before purchasing a second-hand Switch and making a rampage through its library.

So, I'm back to my beloved last generation handhelds, and my little blog is about to become a retro gaming haven. I'm glad and a tad relieved, I must admit; I've always been a retro gamer at heart, and there's something strangely relaxing and comfortable in taking a step back and watching the gaming industry's evolution from the sidelines. Thanks for dropping as usual, dear fellow gamers; and see you soon for more exciting retro handheld tidings!

2 comments:

  1. On one hand, it's bit sad since there are a lot of good games this generation, and since you can't have a PS4, the switch was the only way to experience some of them. I am enjoying Let's Go Eevee a little bit (I know, I know, but after I accepted the changes it brings I at least appreciate that it's no lagging borefest like Sun/Moon), and I am eagerly awaiting SMTV, and a bunch of new releases in the farming genre.

    Everything else I go to the PS4 for, since I don't care for Nintendo's flagship franchises much, and the switch is inferior to the PS4's perfomance and comfy controller. So on the other hand, I can understand selling it.

    Who knows, maybe the PS5 will come with some sort of improved remote play that will allow you to play it without a TV. I don't see them doing a hybrid console yet, but I can see them trying to compete with the Switch in some way, and their consoles are always superior to Nintendo in terms of power and controllers. And if it's anything like the PS4, it will have two billion ports, which would allow you to catch up with some popular releases.

    But like I said, who knows. Technically I regret buying the switch as early as I did as well, especially with the rumors of a more powerful version going around already -seriously fuck you nintendo, you pull the crap you pulled with Sun and Moon and I will stop buying your consoles entirely- and I barely touched it at all this year and last year; but I'm hoping that changes once the new fire emblem comes out, and a barrage of games I want come after that. But I'm definitly waiting a little longer to get the PS5, just like I did with the PS4.

    The first to years of a console always suck, no matter what games are announced at release. I thought we'd have SMTV or a new SoS by now, but clearly we don't, so lesson learned. But at least this way, if I start saving 10 euros a month beginning next month, I can buy the PS5 outright with no issues when I finally do want the games on it, and a year has passed since those games came out (so there's good sales on them). At least there's still a lot of PS4 games to get, since I got it so late.

    But yeah, sad, but I get it. I'm waiting for new releases, but I regret buying it so soon. Especially since, unlike with the PS4 Pro that improves perfomance and graphics but never breaks games for the regular PS4, Nintendo has a bad track record of supporting old hardware once the new one comes out *glares at sun and moon again*. I surely won't commit the same mistake with whatever console they make next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see what the gaming industry in general, and Sony in particular, has in store for us when it comes to the next console generation. A remote play system for the PS5 would be awesome indeed, especially if that system comes with a library rich in nichey, budgety games just like the PS4 one. On the other hand, I must admit that I'm not holding my breath for it: I already have more than enough games to keep me occupied for the rest of my life, so I could perfectly skip the next console generation — and all the ones after that, for that matter.

      As I said, I'm not writing off the Switch entirely yet. There are indeed some games I'd very much like to play — heck, Pokemon alone could be enough to make me purchase a Switch, if only for a short time! But as far as I'm concerned, there's just no point in holding onto a Switch and purchasing games for it full price right now. That would make sense if I had no other console to fulfill my gaming needs; but with five systems and hundreds of games, I can perfectly wait a couple of years before exploring the Switch library. In the meantime, I'll probably shear my collection ever-so-slightly and get a good number of games out of my backlog, and that'll conveniently clear my mind and allow me to focus on the Switch when the time is ripe.

      Getting a console late makes a lot of sense; not only have all hardware flaws likely be ironed out by that time, but you have a whole buffet of games to choose from. Cherry on the cake, price tags are usually much easier on the wallet when a console reaches the end of its lifespan. Of course, you'll miss some of the fun and excitement of being fully involved in the current gaming landscape and surfing the waves of gaming hype; but that's a small price to pay compared to all the advantages of waiting.

      Delete