19/10/2018

Adventures to go: (Really just) a farming fest


Some say that the PSP is the true king of the RPG hill as far as handhelds go; and as much as I love all my DS and Vita RPGs, I have to admit that there's a kernel of truth in that assertion a mighty big kernel, mind you. Even the most low-fi and budget PSP RPG has a certain wholesomeness to it, as though RPGs released on that system miraculously managed to capture the very essence of what RPGs are about. PSP RPGs usually strike a perfect balance between fulfilling gameplay mechanics, gorgeous graphics that borrow from both retro and modern gaming and premises that are original yet not too gimmicky or outlandish. They are so utterly excellent that I still have to play a PSP RPG that I don't like and whose evocation don't bring a giddy smile to my face and dreamy memories to my mind.

Adventures to Go is no exception to that rule of PSP RPG awesomeness. It's very obviously a budget release; and yet it sports pretty decent graphics, an entertaining cast of characters and a fighting system that's the stuff of dreams, expertly delivering turn-based combat goodness with a whiff of strategy. If you've played Rainbow Moon, you'll feel right at home playing ATG: this is the exact same fighting system, with the added and wonderful possibility of ambushing foes in ATG. Last but not least, ATG boasts a simple yet terrifically efficient and addictive premise: to farm items in randomly generated dungeons, over and over. 

As you may know already, I dislike farming; and yet, I found myself really digging ATG. There are two reasons for that unexpected love: the first, and most minor one, is the forgiving drop rate that pretty much guarantees that you'll snatch the required item(s) after a mere couple of battles. The second and major reason is the fact that dungeons are designed on demand by none other that you, the player. You can mix and match enemies and landscapes to obtain the dungeon of your dreams in other words, the dungeon that will grant you the stuff required by your quests du jour. Not only does that feature provide a modicum of control over events and eliminate the frustration that can stem from genuine random dungeon generation, but it also allows for some welcome profitability. If you play your cards well, you can polish off several quests in one fell swoop and a single dungeon visit! In practice though, that dream scenario is not always possible: enemies and landscape options in dungeons cost a hefty sum of money, and ATG's tigh money balance won't always allow you to make the most of your trips. Using cheap or free dungeon visits to farm money is pretty much required, especially if you want to upgrade your party's gear on a regular basis or build up their magical abilities.

As much as I love ATG, it's hard to ignore its major flaw: the farming premise, as entertaining as it is, is simply not meaty enough to support a whole game. The thrill of discovering new locations, foes and items quickly wears out, especially when dungeons get longer and foes grow more obnoxious. Either ATG should have been significantly shorter and more fast-paced, or it should have introduced more features as it went on; because as it is, that game is really not much deeper than your average phone game. Sure, one can argue that phone games were not yet a thing back then, and that ATG's premise was thus perfectly acceptable; however, that doesn't make the gameplay any less boring on the long run. I just dropped ATG after a mere 10 hours of play, simply because it was becoming too dull for my taste. That doesn't mean that I swore it off, though; I'll definitely come back to it later, just like I did with Rainbow Moon. Some games are made to be enjoyed in small doses, indeed! Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

8 comments:

  1. I've had this game for like...almost a decade I think? And I only played the first two minutes before turning it off and never touching it again. Just like many games in my backlog.

    Say, how "mindless" is this game to play? By that I mean, how easy it is to tune out while grinding while not having to think too deeply about it? I ask because I've come up with a new system to play games, since despite having finished 254 from 2015 to now, I still leave so many games unfinished. Really good ones too, just because they're long and I can rarely stomach doing the same thing for so long.

    So my new system now is to play three games at the same time: a main game that I must play every day no matter if I'm sick of it, even if it's only half an hour; a distraction game that I try to play every day (especially if I'm sick of the main game, playing this one is my reward) but I can skip it without consequence; and a second distraction game for when I'm sick of my first distraction game, but I still want to play something. With this system, I can make slow, but steady proguess in even the longest games, and not leave anything behind unfinished. Because I'm not the type of person that can drop a game and come back; I always start a new file, but the games can be so long, I drop them again and the cycle keeps going :/

    Currently my main game is Digimon Adventure on the psp (which is actually really mindless if I just grind for a bit, so I don't get too terribly sick of it), my first distraction game is dragon quest builders on switch (which I'm currently really sick of after reaching the midway point), and my second distraction game is Final Fantasy XIII (really mindless as well, but just what I need now).

    I'm excited to finally getting to beat FFXIII after almost a decade of constantly dropping, but after I'm done with it and/or dragon quest builders, I need another distraction game, and this might just fit the bill. I don't mind if it's long, since my main focus is the main game, and I don't care if it's grindy since I can just switch to my other distraction game. But it needs to be mindless; one of my next main games is my unfinished Nioh playthrough, so I'll need games that cleanse my mind of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adventures to Go is just the perfect grindy treat, tailor-made for "mindless" play.^^ As a matter of fact, I played my whole run with the sound off and some Youtube videos in the background. The only parts that require a modicum of focus are dungeon ordering (especially if you want to polish off several quests at once) and magic crystal mixing, and those moments represent but a fraction of the gameplay. And since there are no cutscenes and minimal amounts of dialogue, a good 95% of the game is grinding, and very relaxing grinding at that.

      Tell me about dropping games; I've been doing nothing but that lately. I'm sailing through rough waters IRL; and as a result, my focus and energy levels are at an all-time low. I've started a couple of games those last days, only to find out that I cannot stick through the learning phase and assimilate a whole new set of gameplay mechanics. So I'll probably just run back to a game I'm already familiar with, while waiting for the storm to pass.

      Delete
    2. I hear you on those rough waters; been like that for months for me as well. Which is why I came up with my current system, since in these past months I've dropped: Shadow Hearts 2, Nioh, SMTIV, the aforementioned digimon game, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Luigi's mansion 2 and Pokemon Sun. All those minus Pokemon Sun were good games I was enjoying but eh...

      All I've had energy to finish this year is mostly VNs, which I notice you played a good amount of them this past month as well. Thank goodness for them becoming more popular these past few years.

      But I can't get stuck in this rut. Time passes fast, and I never know when the waters are going to calm down. I mean, damn, it's been almost 10 years since FFXIII came out; I feel like it just came out 3 years ago. I can't just let life stop me from doing everything until I just become a mindless husk that works, does housework and then just mindlessly watches youtube videos.

      So everyday I force myself to sketch something, pratice handwriting and play at least one game. All those things can take one hour all together, but at the very least sketching and handwriting make me feel better when I'm done. I'm sure that when I finish one of my 3 games I'll feel a lot better as well. Because I don't know when things will get better, but I do know I'll never get any wasted time back. Might as well use one hour in a whole day.

      Too bad you don't have consoles; for all the crap FFXIII gets, it's the perfect mindless game. There's pretty much nothing else to do but to follow the set path and grind for exp and materials. No lengthy side mini-games, no exploring, and the battle system only requires managing the paradigm system, instead of planning every move or god forbid, actually move the characters like an action RPG. The lenghty datalog that the developers relied on to make the story make sense is also pretty good for picking up the game after a while; everything is there, including summaries of each chapter. Also gives a summary of each cut-scene, so you can skip them if you like. It's a very pretty game too, so all in all, it's so darn perfect to just tune out.

      Dragon Quest Builder's on the other hand....oh lord. I like it's basic premise (I replayed the demo over and over before buying it), but as it goes on...let's just say, don't feel like you ever missed out on skipping it.

      Delete
    3. I admire your dedication, I really do. Obviously, the whole "Keep calm and carry on" attitude is the way to go during tough times; if you're gonna feel like shit anyway, you might as well be productive in the meantime. Then, when the storm finally stops, you'll be glad that you kept soldiering on. As for me, my work is my saving grace these days, as well as reading and long walks; and if I can muster enough energy to stick to a single game and not give up, I know it will do me good too.

      VNs are my go-to genre when I feel low on energy. Too bad I played all the VNs I own and have no other coveted VNs as of now! Muv-Luv would have been a valid candidate, hadn't I spoilt myself the story a couple of months ago. Code Realize: Future Blessings is too light on content to warrant a purchase, and Punchline has too much gameplay. So I'm left with the VNs I already own, and I remember them a bit too much to want to replay them right now - although I've been toying with the idea of replaying Norn9.

      You know, I've been wanting to play FFXIII for quite some time now; but obviously, not owning a PS3 makes such an endeavour a bit tricky. Right now, my only option would be to purchase the PC version of the game; but that would involve installing Steam, which I'm not sure I want to do. Not to mention that my crappy, entry-level laptop may simply not be powerful enought to run that game. But still, I'm curious. Maybe I'll just snatch a cheap physical copy and see how it rolls.

      I can assure you that I never, ever felt like I missed out when skipping Dragon Quest Builders. ^^ On the other hand, I really, really want to give Minecraft a go for some reason. I want it so much, in fact, that I recently ordered the Vita version of the game.

      Delete
    4. Storms can take really long to pass. I'd recommend you looking into VNs on PC, since they play on almost anything, but most of them are on steam, and as someone who reluctantly has that awful DRM platform...yeah.

      I'm very low energy lately as well (just thinking about Dragon Quest Builders makes me want to throw my switch out the window), but I still have Norn 9, Code Realize, the second Psychedelica game, 7's Scarlet and the Hakuoki games to go through, so I'll be fine. I just remembered I also dropped Sonic Team Racing Transformed, geesh, I can't keep up. Hey, have you played Hakuoki? Maybe that's an option. There's two games on Vita.

      Ah, I'll never be able to get into minecraft because the graphics make me want to puke; shallow I know, especially considering some other games I play, but there's just something about it that translates into pure revulsion for my eyes. And dragon quest builders hasn't helped at all.

      Delete
    5. Getting Steam solely to play VNs is a great idea that I'd be very inclined to consider. It wouldn't have to be forever, mind you; just enough to let me play all the stuff that interests me, after which I could simply bail out. I'll look into that.

      Ah yes, Hakuoki. I never mentioned the Vita entries of that series, and that may have seemed strange given that I played virtually every single VN released on the Vita. The reason for that silence is pretty simple: I played Kyoto Winds, and absolutely HATED it. I vomited the atmosphere, the pacing and the cast, so much so that I gave up after a mere couple of chapters. And since I didn't polish off the thing, I didn't feel entitled to write anything about it.

      Delete
    6. I've never tried any Hakuoki games since I've always had a bad feeling about them, even though the series is uber mega popular in Japan. Geshh, to the bottom of my VN list it goes.

      If you get steam, try a princess maker game as well if it's on sale, since they've been translated now. Not translated well mind you, but I really like that game genre and no one else does it anymore :\

      Delete
    7. "If you get steam, try a princess maker game": I'll definitely do that, all the more so as I've been wanting to play that series for years. Thanks for the advice! ^^

      Delete