18/06/2018

Nintendo Switch: Two months, second thoughts - The hardware side


It's not secret that I bought my fair share of consoles over the course of my gaming life. That mass of consoles can be roughly divided into two categories: the much-wanted systems that ultimately failed to meet my lofty expectations, and the not-so-wanted systems that ultimately exceeded my meagre expectations. The latter category contains luminaries such as the Game Gear, a.k.a. my former Favourite Console Ever, the Vita, a.k.a. my newest Favourite Console Ever, and the DS and PSP, a.k.a the kings of portable RPG that masterfully blend the best of both retro and modern gaming. In the former category, we have the Game Boy, which I loved yet also came to resent because of how high-maintenance it was when it came to lighting conditions; the GBA, which I cannot play without getting some horrid hand cramping; the Mega Drive, which failed to give me the same sweet intimacy as handhelds; and, last but not least, the Switch.

It pains me greatly to admit it, but my initial love for the Switch is unfortunately wasting away. I though I had gotten my hands literally on a winner of a system and yet another first-class addition to my already respectable collection of handhelds; but alas, all the things that seemed so appealing when I was longing for the Switch from afar proved to be less than dazzling when seen up close. As the title implies, there are two sides to that coin of disaffection; let's start with the nitty-gritty of my hardware issues with the Switch, dear fellow gamers. (Also, because I can't be bothered to take pictures of my Switch, those posts will be adorned with XC2 screenshots.)


—The matte plastic used for the back of the Switch's tablet is literally the worst plastic I've laid my hands upon on any console, ever. It's like Nintendo went out of their way to handpick the material that would gather the most finger grease. I don't have particularly oily fingers, and I never snack when playing; and yet, after a mere two months and less than 200 hours of use, my Switch is already adorned with big fat greasy stains on all the places that come into regular contact with my fingers. Needless to say, all that unwelcome greasiness looks and feels utterly gross. Now of course, the Vita and the DS are also prone to grease staining; but rubbing the offending spots usually leaves your console clean as new. Not so with the Switch: you can rub all you want, the grease just. won't. bulge. This means that alcohol-based cleaning solutions are probably needed, which could be fatal to my Switch's coating not to mention that I have better things to do than put the thing through a special cleaning therapy every couple of weeks. And then we have the analog sticks: instead of gathering grease, they gather every fleck of dust, dead skin or random crap that happens to be on your fingers; and once again, once something is stuck there, good luck wiping it away. This whole situation is just infuriating, and it boggles my mind that such materials were chosen and used for the Switch.

—The Switch feels too fragile for my taste. Mind you, I'm not saying that just because my Switch's left Joy-Con happened to be a bit loose right out of the box; that fragility issue is inherent to the system's design. Joy-Cons are bound to get loose over time no matter what, until playing becomes really uncomfortable or (worse) connectivity simply stops working entirely. This means that the Switch might become unplayable on the long run simply due to its very design; and after a whole lifetime spend playing systems that were designed as monuments of solidity, that sudden reversal of gaming fortune really stings.


The Switch painfully lacks compactness and elegance. It just doesn't feel like a solid, real handheld probably because it's not a true-blue handheld. For all intents and purposes, the Switch is but a tablet with two controllers stuck on the sides; it's a weird and unappealing mix of different parts that doesn't feel like a wholesome gaming system. The handheld aficionado and veteran in me just cannot fancy that big, blocky, disjointed mess of a console that lacks all the grace and solidity of a genuine handheld. On top of that, the Switch is simply too large and heavy not only for my own taste, but also to qualify as a genuine handheld. Sure, you can carry it around; but you can carry your laptop around as well, and yet you'd be hard-pressed to call it a portable gaming system.

—The Switch has a way of getting uncomfortably hot during long playing sessions, especially on the right side. I even had to give up on playing a couple of time and let the system cool down because it was simply getting too hot to hold. Needless to say, it's all but impossible to play the Switch when it's charging, as it gets even more searingly hot.


—The Switch's battery management is pure hassle. It's already annoying enough that the Switch has such poor battery life, forcing me to charge it literally every day; but that's not even my main battery-related issue. No, my main issue lies in the darn annoying Sleep Mode. Because the Switch cannot be completely turned off unless you go through a complicated and utterly unintuitive process, most of us will simply put their Switch in sleep mode and call it a day. But wait, there's a catch: sleep mode keeps draining your Switch's battery, and rather fast at that. So you didn't touch your Switch for a week after fully charging it? Too bad, now it's empty! Just say goodbye to your planned gaming session and go charge it again, sucker. (Yup, this is totally first-hand experience.) So, the GBA, DS and Vita can hold battery power for weeks on end, even months; but the Switch has to be kept on a constant charging diet? Not too convenient for an 'hybrid' console, methinks.  

Last but not least, I have a more general beef with the Switch, one that's entirely based on my collector's instinct: I feel that the Switch was not designed with longevity and perennity in mind, which is an absolute first for a Nintendo portable console and maybe even for a Nintendo console full stop. I've handled and played every single Nintendo handheld, from Game&Watches to the 3DS, and I could always genuinely feel the sheer solidity and robustness of those systems: they were designed to last years and endure enormous amounts of abuse from careless hands. The Switch, on the other hand, doesn't ooze solidity and robustness at all, but rather feels like a fancy toy that's bound to break before you're through with it. As a collector, I very much have an issue with that approach. I just don't want to invest my funds and affections in a console that was so obviously designed as a disposable, one-generation-only piece of kit something to be picked, played, used until it breaks and then ditched and forgotten as the newest piece of kit enters the picture. Granted, that approach has been running rampant on the home console scene for some years now; but I always thought (and hoped) that Nintendo would stay away from it and keep treating us to consoles designed to last. Alas, it seems they've been contamined at last by the industry's dirty built-in obsolescence ways.  


At the end of the day, I think reality simply caught up with me. As a handheld aficionado, I really wanted the Switch to inherit the 3DS and Vita's legacy and perpetuate the strong, long-running Nintendo handheld tradition; but alas, it seems that this dream scenario is not meant to be. The Switch is a home console after all; and like all current home consoles, it's flimsy, fussy and not designed to last. Well, fine; I was fooled once, but I won't be fooled twice. There won't be extra backup Switches for me; I'll use my current Switch until it dies, and then it's game over literally. But what about all those Switch games you were so excited about a few weeks ago, you may ask? Don't you want to collect them? Well, about that... Things have changed, shall we say. But that's a subject I'll cover in the soon-to-come second part of that Switch rant, dear fellow gamers. Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

15 comments:

  1. ...all my playstation home consoles still work. Even my almost 20 year old ps2. Sure, the 1st gen 4 is a huge beast, and you need to stick some papers underneath the corner so the fan doesn't make too much noise (there's a stupid design thing in the middle of the console that makes it not sit even), but it works darn well, even when I'm playing and downloading things at the same time. But maybe I'm just lucky. And man, the PS4 controller is goooood.

    I'm going to buy a switch next month, but yeah, I'm still not sold on it as a handheld console. I've gotten to hold it and ehhh...feels more flimsy than my 10 inch samsung tablet. And I despise battery problems, so docked switch it is. Too bad I'll have to shell out an extra 60$ just to get an actual controller. Thanks Ninty!

    E3 for nintendo was a complete joke this year; if you don't care about smash GTFO, was their message. And I couldn't care less about smash. Or Mario Party. Fire emblem and Yoshi both got delayed, so that sucks. So far the only thing I'm looking forward to in the next few months is Captain Toad. I'd be excited for the N.Sane trilogy but I already beat it on PS4, and since the switch seems to suck as a handheld, then eh, pass.

    Glad I have a PS4 overall; Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Nioh 2, The Last of Us 2, Sea of Solitude, Kingdom Hearts 3, Cyberpunk 2077...Sony's conference might have not been amazing, but I'm still excited for its future games. I don't care for multiplayer, so the fortnight controversy doesn't matter to me, though I do admit Sony is being terrible with that. But all platform holders are, so pick your poison.

    As for the switch...well, SMT V is going to be on there, so I'm obligated to get it. Even if it ends up having few games, I'll enjoy whatever it gets as a bonus. So far Breath of the Wild, Pokken Tournament and Hyrule Warriors already make it less shitty. I was also thinking of re-buying Dragon Quest builders on it, since the graphics on the Vita are a bit inferior, but I'll wait on it; if the switch is truly a crappy handheld, then I might as well get it on PS4. Especially since the big summer sale is coming soon, and almost all japanese games go on sale then for a steal!

    Nintendo sales are still the laughingstock of the industry btw, which means if I have a choice between ps4 and switch, I'll wait for stuff to go on sale on PSN. Again, assuming handheld mode isn't of any worth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Switch appears more and more like a nice little extra console, something to have as a side dish with your PS4 and XBox One... Except that it has the price tag and accessory galore of a main choice console. It's hard to justify investing so much money in a Switch when there are so few exclusives and big titles slated for release, be it in a near or distant future. Nintendo has this insane ambition of selling the Switch on a one per customer basis rather than one per household; if they ever want to achieve that lofty goal, they'd better start courting third-party devs and release more meaty first-party game.

      Delete
    2. That's just fantastic; the one good trait they had over the years, exchanged because of greed. I have baby hands and am very gentle, but I'm still very wary of it....I mean, 300 euros is no joke. 80 more for extra joycons is even less of a joke. And people said the Vita and the PS3 were expensive; at they bloody lasted!

      Delete
    3. The Switch itself is too expensive, the accessories are too expensive, and last but not least, the darn games are too expensive, especially the first-party games. 60 euros for a Pokemon Yellow remake with dubbed-down mechanics? Count me out, Nintendo.

      Delete
  2. I just hope Nintendo ends up releasing a more "solid" Switch model, down the road. I played around with my little bro's Switch and it just feels like a cheaply made console, specially compared to previous Nintendo consoles, like you said.

    Then again, since I'm honestly only interested in SMTV, which will probably release in 2020 or later in Europe, I'm in no rush. Or maybe I'll just snag it from my brother for a month or two just for play it and save on the money in its entirety...

    I'll make due with my 3DS/Vita combo and PS4 sidedish for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sieg, long time no see! Nice to read from you again. ^^

      I'll make a bashful confession: I regret my Switch purchase - or rather, I regret having caved in so fast and not waited a couple of years as I initially planned. Sure, I was in a hardcore purchasing mood at the time, and I craved Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which turned out to be an awesome gaming epopee; but I could have just as easily purchased games and extra New 2DS XL model to quench my spending thirst, and played any Dragon Quest entry to satisfy my hunger for a huge RPG. Oh, well. What's done is done; I'll just make sure not to make that kind of mistake again. :P

      Delete
    2. Eh, been busy with work and games and moved into a different city (due to work) so I had very little time in general to post. I still checked your blog as usual for some nice reading tid bits!

      Honestly, having the fun you seem to had with XB2, I don't think you're that regretful. All consoles have their cons and pros, anyway. Just look at the 3DS or the Vita. Are they perfect? Or has good as the DS/PSP? No way, but that didn't stop you or me and others from enjoying countless games on them. You could have waited for a better model (like the New 3DS or the Vita 2000) but in the long run, was it that bad of a decision if the games in those consoles caught your eye? And the Switch can possibly go down the PS3 route, where the most recent/last model was made of flimsy garbage material.

      Delete
    3. I honestly feel that the Vita, PSP and DS are perfect, to be honest... ^^ But I guess I'm simply not objective, because I love these consoles sooooo very much.

      Sure, purchasing the Switch now was probably just as good a decision as purchasing it later down the line. As you say, future models might end up being even worse than the current one, and there's no guarantee that the Switch will ever get be granted a more 'portable' design... It all boils down to me being disappointed and thus questioning my purchase, which with hindsight feels very much like pure impulse buying. Finding more games to play on the long run will probably alleviate my regret and make the Switch feel more like a sound investment, though. ^^

      Delete
    4. There's going to be a cheaper, dockless version released soon, but only in japan. And it seems they didn't change anything in the design, and took out the charger too. So ehh...

      As a SMT fan, I understand Sieg, but I get the sneaking feeling SMT V won't be a switch exclusive...at least not for long. Porting between the major consoles is easy now, especially since I doubt atlus will pay any mind to the motion controls, and Sega does love money. They're porting yakuza to pc despite the fact that sony financially helped them with one of the latest games, which made the franchise a success, finally. So what do they have to gain by keeping the mainline megaten on nintendo only? Especially since it's not like the franchise abandoned the nintendo exclusivity for playstation consoles before, and honestly, the p2 era was so good for the series.

      I might be wrong, but who knows at this point with Sega at the wheel.

      Delete
    5. Regarding the materials, the DS is really good but something about the PSP just feels TOO light and weak despite actually being pretty resilient. A shame my PSP's battery is long dead, but I'm too focused on my Vita to invest on a new battery for it. :p

      Kumiko: Ah, fellow SMT fan, I wish I had your hope. But Atlus comes out as needlessly rigid regarding their SMT/Persona releases; so I doubt we'll get V on a PS4 or even on PC. I still remember back when IV was announced and every one flipped that it was a 3DS exclusive or when Persona 4 The Golden was announced for the Vita instead of the PS3/4. And neither of those left their respective systems. I have 0 hopes it will leave the Switch, but hey, if it does, I'll have no reason for a Switch then and probably invest on a New 2DS or renew my PSP's battery and carcass.

      I don't know about you, but Sega has been redeeming itself these past years. Sonic Mania really brought back Sonic to a level of excellency (which Forces dragged to the bottom once more), new Valkyria Chronicles, actually admitting that the west likes RPGs (7th Dragon VFD, giving full support to Atlus, namely getting them European publishers for their games) and the Yakuza games, etc etc...

      Except for the whole "let's remaster one of our worst games this decade (Shining Resonance) and release it in the west instead of other actual good games that western fans have been asking for years" plan. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with this one.

      Delete
    6. My guess is, they want to make some money back on that game, so they figured the starving western audience would buy it regardless of quality. I'll buy in (when it goes on sale), so I guess they're right?

      I still have hope; Sega even mentioned they were talking internally about a possible PC port of persona 5. Atlus may be rigid, but both Persona 4 Golden and SMT IV happened before Sega bought them out. Either way I'll get a switch, even if just for pokken and breath of the wild, but it's mighty retarded of Atlus to keep their fanbases split for no reason, and multiplat-loving sega might not agree with that for much longer.

      That said, I don't think forces was enough to ruin Sega; at least the game isn't terrible, just average, and they backed down from the super sonic dlc. Sonic Team Racing was announced (and I truly preferred all stars racing transformed to mario kart 8) and they're keeping the mania team around, so I'm still happy with Sega.

      Delete
    7. Talking about Sega, I'd really like a 7th Dragon entry on the Switch; although given the series' indolent release pace, I don't count too much on it. But that would definitely be nice.

      I'm planning to give Sonic Mania a try, although my interest in that game dropped quite a lot after watching a couple of gameplay videos. I'm really, really not sold on the graphics; but I might forget about them if the physics are great.

      Delete
    8. Kumiko: One way or another, I just Atlus stops remaking and porting every single thing and move on. Where's Devil Survivor 3? A new spin-off like Digital Devil or Soul Hackers? New Devil Summoner, a spin-off series that reached 30 years last year?

      And good point on the new Sonic Racing. Can't wait to play that one. Transformed really hoped my eyes, I never thought a Mario Kart clone would be that great. Actually, it completely blowed Mario Kart out of the water for me.


      Isleif: No new 7th Dragon as far as the "creator" envisioned. VFD already finished up (hastily, if I may add) the whole 7 Chief Dragons that evaded Earth plot, cleared the chronological position of the original DS 7th dragon (it's a sequel, like it was always said) and he already said that the 5 games planned were done since VFD was combined into 2 to wrap up the series. Of course, they may change their mind but considering that the series never really was a good seller or that popular, the best we can hope for is a port/remaster and/or compilation.

      From one Sonic fan to another, Isleif, Sonic Mania is the best Sonic game since 3&Knuckles or Sonic Rush, if you want to be a little more lenient. It's really great and fun. Physics are spot-on. But what's wrong with the graphics, in your opinion? It's just some (great) touched up 16 bit sprites/art.

      Delete
    9. Devil Survivor 3....I want that game SO badly. Devil Survivor is my favourite of the megaten branches. Instead we get more persona spin offs *sigh*. Given how successful P5 was, I expect Atlus to milk it as much as P4, so no new spin offs or even sequels like we got in the PS2 and even DS era. A huge shame; at this point, we're lucky to even have another mainline megaten at all.

      But I'm really curious on how atlus will go from now on; used to be part of the team would be working on the next big 3d game (mostly persona), while another one would work on the various handheld series. Now that there isn't cheaper to develop for the only handheld in the market at all, will they go back to their ps2 ways? Stick to releasing some 2D games anyways? Milk Persona even more?

      Delete
    10. To put it simply, Sonic Mania looks way too much like Sonic CD, a game whose art style I strongly dislike. Overall, I find Sonic Mania too derivative when it comes to graphics: animations lifted from Sonic CD, zones that are exactly identical to the 16-bits ones apart from a couple of tweaks and so on. Was it really not possible to come up with a 100% original 2D game à la Sonic Rush or Sonic Colours? I like hommages as much as the next gamer, but Sonic Mania looks more like pure plagiarism to me.

      Delete