08/05/2018

Collector's Delight: (Giddily) presenting the New 2DS XL


I finally took the plunge and got hold of a New 2DS XL, a system I've been coveting for months on end but was reluctant to buy because of the ridiculously high number of 3DS I already own. But holy cow, was that a most inspired purchase indeed! In fact, I had such a massive crush on the system that I felt compelled to write a post about it without delay. Feast your eyes on the gorgeous Pokeball Edition of the 3DS' last iteration!


Let's face it, Nintendo released way too many 3DS models over the course of the system's lifetime. The way they kept churning out new iterations with increasingly confusing names, each one arguably better than the one that preceeded it yet bound to be topped by the next one in line, was both silly and maddening. They released no less than SIX bloody 3DS models over the last six years; factor in the region lock, and you get a true collector's nightmare. I own way too many 3DS for my taste, and half of them have been made redundant by their younger siblings. And yet, I'm ready to forgive Ninty for all their 3Ds meanderings; because oh dear, did they top themselves indeed with the New 2DS XL. Not only is this by far the sleekest and most gorgeous 3DS model, but it's also one of the best handhelds they ever created — period.


That piece of kit may lack 3D, but make no mistake: it vastly improves on both the regular New 3DS and the New 3DS XL on nearly all counts. Here's a quick round-up:

Screen: Oh boy, is that thing gorgeous. It's miraculously mammoth compared to the system's overall size, and it boasts strikingly vibrant and vivid colours that really pop out. Coming from the regular New 3DS, I definitely saw the difference — and mind you, the regular New 3DS already improved a lot upon the original 3DS in that department. The screen's black borders make immersion into games easier, and give the console's upper part a neat smartphone look to boot. The touch screen is also huge, just as large as the New 3DS XL's one.

Weight: The New 2DS XL is mercifully light. I weighed mine; and at 265 g, it's a puny 10 g heavier than my regular New 3DS, and an enormous 240 g lighter than my New 3DS XL. My wrists are definitely going to love that console, oh yes precious.

Looks: This is arguably one of the fanciest 3DS models, if not the fanciest. The elongated shape gives that ultimate iteration a really sleek and classic look. All four editions boast a pleasantly sober dual colour scheme, in striking contrast with the regular New 3DS' rainbow buttons and many faceplates.

Price: Although I'm not one to nitpick about prices when it comes to all things gaming, I'm also not one to sniff at a good deal. Being the cheapest New 3DS model out there, the New 2DS XL is definitely the piece of kit to go for if you don't care about the 3D. Considering that it comes with an adapter, unlike its two predecessors, this is definitely a bargain.

New 2DS XL vs regular New 3DS.

Of course, the New 2DS XL isn't perfect — no console is, after all. The stylus is a bit too small, the sound quality is lacklustre, and the mate finish looks a teeny-tiny bit cheap and gathers finger grease a bit too enthusiastically; but overall, we're still dealing with a darn good piece of kit. Nintendo managed to wrap up the 3DS line in a most glorious way with the New 2DS XL. It sure took them a long time to reach that level of perfection, and there was an awful lot of meandering along the way; but better late than never, right? In a nutshell: the New 2DS XL is awesome, I'm gonna get my paws on more of them — and I warmly encourage you to do that too. Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

2 comments:

  1. Looks really good! I just recently had a near heart-attack when my 3DS refused to charge; just as I was absolutely adoring Ever Oasis to boot! Thankfully it was only the charger that bit the dust, but because Nintendo is ever-so-awesome and makes their own chargers instead of using cellphone ones like the vita, I spent two weeks biting my nails while I waited for a new one to arrive.

    Thankfully my 3DS is fine, but the experience shook me; I've never had a charger go under! I've had my PSP and DS lite for more than a decade now and those are fine, so what gives? I'm so gentle with my things that my 20 year old gameboy colour is fine, so this is almost unacceptable to me. It also made me realize how many 3DS games I still have to play; I haven't even started Shin Megami Tensei 4 for crimmitys sake!

    So, even though I was saving money for a switch and its two billion accessories (seriously, 80 euros for more joycons? 70 euros for the pro controller? 45 euros for a 128gb micro SD card? And it doesn't even come with a USB-C cable to connect to the PC? AND you can't buy a cheap one because cables without 56k resistors fry the system? Fuck.You.Nintendo), I might cave and buy a new 2DS XL just in case. Probably not this one, since I can't find this bundle in my area, and shipping prices suuuuck, but I'm fine with that, since I don't think it looks that pretty. I'm more enamoured with the regular blue and black 2DS; I haven't had a blue console since my old GBA days!

    I'm really happy to see its size too. The bigger the screen the better, just as long as the system isn't bothersome to hold. I recently got to hold a switch, and it isn't as big as I was expecting, so this should feel just right even for my baby hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that you mention an adapter dying on you; because for some unfathomable reason, that has always been one of my main fears as a collector. As a result, I have secured a bunch of extra adapters for all my systems. Granted, I have yet to see an adapter die on me; but at least I'm prepared! :P

      Regarding the New 2DS XL, I totally encourage you to buy that gem of a system if you have the opportunity. I genuinely regret having ever invested in a regular New 3DS and a New 3DS XL, because the New 2DS XL is better than those two systems combined. But hey, that's a collector's life for you!

      Delete