15/03/2018

Stella Glow: Warm and fluffy


Those are strange terms to use when talking about a video game, but I just can't help it: Stella Glow makes me think of a warm and fluffy puff pastry. It's comforting, heartwarming and gladdening, just as any good puff pastry should be; and I'm filled with giddy delight every time I indulge in a bite. If there's any such thing as comfort games, then Stella Glow is exactly that.

It's not just the fact that Stella Glow looks amazing, with its polished graphics, bright lovely colours and adorable character design; it's also the fact that it plays so smoothly and is so easy on the player. Heaven is in the details, as I always say; and stuff like the weapon dealer asking you if you want to sell your monster loot as soon as you set foot in her shop, or the game letting you know if a battle will occur or not in a subchapter, instantly won over my jaded gamer's heart. I also love how perfectly tailored to portable gaming that game is, with its short yet fulfilling subchapters and accommodating save options. I'm taking my sweet time and discovering the story at leisure, letting the game pamper me with its comfortable user-friendliness and delightful easiness. I only landed three Game Overs in battle since the beginning of my playthrough, and that was solely due to stupid mistakes on my part. (Except that time when Sakuya recklessly charged ahead and got herself killed, forcing me to dedicate a couple of units solely to protecting her fragile little arse.)

For once, I'm glad that Stella Glow removed both the necessity and the opportunity to grind from me. I won't lie and claim that I totally ignore the few free battles I'm offered; however, I don't abuse them either, and I play them solely to let units that are a bit behind level-wise gain a welcome XP boost. Because indeed, SG quickly proceeds to giving you more characters than you can use in a single battle, and that's something that should normally piss me off; however, I don't mind at all in that particular game. All units sport their own strengths and weaknesses and have something to offer in battle, and it's fun to switch between them depending on the combat circumstances. I find myself actually strategizing instead of simply charging ahead blindly until there's nothing left alive on the battlefield. Sure, I'm still very much an SRPG noob; but considerations such as "This is mountainous terrain, so let's use Ewan instead of Archibald" or "Let's first weaken that boss with my long-range units before finishing it off with my melee units" are pleasantly new to me.

To my surprise, I really dig the musical gimmick. Had someone told me that I would enjoy slaughtering foes to the beat of J-Pop, I would probably have laughed and dismissed the whole idea as ludicrous; and yet, I find myself really pumped up when I'm about to Conduct a Witch and unleash a wave of glorious J-Popness on the battlefield. And talking about Conducting, that whole business is decidedly brimming with erotic innuendos. I mean, you have Alto brandishing his thick little dagger and sticking it in the witch's body, after which said witch cries and moans in ecstasy... Heck, I think we all get the picture. And that whole Tuning thing, with Medea granting me access to 'the secret flower garden', asking me which girl I 'desire' and praising my 'amazing technique' her own words, not mine... My, that's really all a giant metaphor for comfort sex, isn't it? Mind you, I'm not complaining; quite the opposite, that subtle brand of fan-service is actually very much my cup of tea. I'll take that kind of subdued eroticism over maid outfits, bath scenes and outrageous displays of T&A any day of the week.

I've been playing for roughly 10 hours, and I surmise that I have to play for just as long before reaching the end of the story. I'm heading there at my own pace, one battle at a time; and I'm really enjoying the ride so far. I'll see you soon with more Stella Glow tidings, dear fellow gamers! Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment