28/12/2016

Pokemon Sun/Moon: A departure


Greetings and Merry Christmas to you all, dear fellow gamers! I've been writing about general gaming matters since the beginning of december, and you may wonder if I've been playing any game at all during that time. Well, the answer is yes: as a matter of fact, I've been pretty engrossed by a single game these last weeks, and that game is none other than the newly released Pokemon Sun. I've been polishing off two playthroughs of it already, and run reports are very much in the pipeline. But for the time being, I want to write about my overall impression of the game and analyze the many changes it packs in its tiny cartridge. Without further ado, let's dissect the newest Pokemon beast together! (Slight SPOILERS ahead!)

The Sun/Moon pair means a lot to me, because they are the first brand-new Pokemon entries released since I discovered the series in 2014. I've been waiting and pinning for them with a lot of trepidation and anticipation; and oh boy, did they gloriously fulfill my expectations. I can proudly claim that Sun and Moon are my favourite Pokemon entries ever and that insular Alola managed to charm and enrapture me like no other Pokemon region ever did. Heck, cruising through Alola even awakened in me an overwhelming desire to visit its real-life inspiration and gorge on deliciously real malasadas.

The early stages of my exploration of Sun, however, were not that glorious: in fact, my initial feelings about the Alolan entries were lukewarm at best. The excessive linearity, constant hand-holding and abundance of cutscenes were a shock to my system, and I think the only reason I was able to soldier through the first hours of the game without ditching it entirely before writing a scathing review was because my levels of energy were still quite low at the time and could thus accommodate an overbearing game. And that's all for the best, because once I managed to accept that this was the newest Pokemon fashion and got fully used to it, I fell head over heels in love with Alola. I love the rural insular setting of that new region and the fact that it sports no huge and confusing city like entries from generations V and VI. I love the fact that Alola is so cosy and welcoming, with a nice variety of pint-sized landscapes that don't take hours to explore. I love the gentle atmosphere and the fact that the locals are so hell-bent on collaborating and welcoming a complete stranger like me. Feeling like a foreigner and being routinely challenged by locals in a slightly antagonistic way in former Pokemon entries was a thrilling experience, but I definitely prefer the comfy, heartwarming and welcoming vibe of Sun and Moon, in which every NPC treats me as an important part of the community. (Of course, it certainly doesn't hurt that one of the local Guardian Deities entrusted me with a Sparkling Stone that let me use D-moves five minutes after I set foot on Alola, thus making me a kahuna in all but name, now does it?) I love this friendliness so much that I simply cannot help but go out of my way to chat with every single NPC in Alola.

Given that Alolans are so open and friendly, it makes perfect sense that the game won't pit you against a hot-blooded rival this time around. For all the wild speculations on the internet regarding the rival mattergoing from the notion that your character is actually supposed to play the role of the rival towards Hau to the idea that your real and true rival is Professor Kukuiwe have to face the truth here: there is no traditional rival in Pokemon Sun and Moon. Hau is way too friendly to be a rival, all the more so as he chooses the starter that's weak against your own. Gladion appears too unfrequently to be considered a true rival and has his own goals that have nothing to do with becoming the strongest trainer around. As for Professor Kukui, he fights you only once and does so as the resident champion. Sun and Moon take away the good old rival figure and replace it with a variety of antagonists that fight you for various reasons and are nowhere near as aggressive and determined to beat the crap out of you as the rivals of old. And boy, is that refreshing. As much as I enjoyed showing over-confident pricks à la Barry who was the boss, I relish this change of pace in all things rivalry.

The resident villain team was also treated to a much-needed makeover. Let's face it: although they are initially designed to be threatening, villain teams always come across as foolish and slightly pathetic. Game Freak seem to have noticed this pattern and taken it in their stride; this time around, they created a team of villains that were very blatantly designed as laughing stocks, with hilarious behaviours and one-liners that bring a lot of humour into the game. On the other hand, they introduced a villain team in disguise in the shape of the Aether Foundation employees, whose rigid ethos and self-righteous behaviours, constant meddling and too pristine outfits are bound to elicit unease and suspicionwhich turn out to be totally justified. It is later revealed that the two teams work hand in hand for very mundane reasons; and although they do some harm over the course of the game, neither of them are as inherently evil and rotten as teams from former entries, which is a welcome change of tone.

That leads us to the story, which is considerably more fleshed-out than your usual Pokemon romp. No more "take that pokedex and become the strongest trainer out there", no more teams of villains with murky and far-fetched motives; this time, your trainer gets to interact with characters that have believable goals and sound reasons to act the way they do. Sun and Moon's storyline is surprisingly grounded and well put together, and all the characters turn out to be pleasantly relatable. Instead of dealing with guru-like team leaders that want to get their paws on godly 'Mons for purposes unfathomable to anyone but themselves, we are confronted with a slightly insane wealthy woman who collects pokemons she deems perfect for her own selfish enjoyment. In a region so intent on cooperating and helping one another as Alola, this comes across as the ultimate treason and a potentially dangerous behaviour that must be stopped at any costand that's obviously a job for your trainer, along with many helpers. I was very fond of that simple yet well-constructed story, although I could have done with slightly less cutscenes and hand-holding along the way, as well as a trifle less linearity. This is the first Pokemon entry in which the story moves you forward instead of the opposite, and I cannot help but feel a bit sorry for all the players whose primary purpose is the hunting and breeding of 'Mons and who must endure heavy amounts of narrative to reach the next area in line.

I can't avoid mentioning the biggest change of them all, namely the ousting of Gyms. The streamlined and compact Gym structure with its unmovable eight milestones has been replaced by the much looser Trial structure. The core goal is still the same, i.e. fighting strong Trainers and 'Mons and ultimately getting the upper hand as well as an item that will prove your victory beyond any doubt; however, Trials have a much more roundabout way to lead you towards that goal. They come in all shapes and sizes, involve a wide variety of endeavours and are scattered around the islands in uneven numbers. All this makes them much more unpredictable than the Gyms of old and thus quite refreshing for veteran players. Although I slightly miss the thrill of taking one Gym after the other in an neat and orderly fashion, I have to admit that the Trial structure is a stimulating change of pace that's perfectly suited to the more rural and insular nature of the Alolan region to boot.

What's highly interesting about these changes is that they all target unexpected features and aspects of the series. Pokefans have been calling for many changes over the years, but I was never aware that there were massive pleas to change the Gym system, the rival dynamic or the narrative. All these changes were not only not demanded, but also not inherently needed: Pokemon games just worked fine the way they did and could have kept doing so. These massive changes in areas that were not in dire need of changes can be interpreted as a message from Game Freak, and by extension Nintendo. They are basically telling us that this time, they mean business and are ready to usher a new era. This is consistent with the changes that could be spotted in other upcoming entries of Nintendo IPs, such as the open world of Breath of the Wild, and it's also consistent with the innovative and revolutionary image of the Switch. Nintendo have being consistently accused of resting on their laurels and recycling their old gaming formulas ad nauseam during the whole 3DS and WiiU era, and they obviously want to silence such criticism for good and prove that they can evolve if they put their mind to it. I'm curiousand a bit anxious, I admitto see where this brand-new direction will lead them; although this could bring some welcome innovations to the fold, I fervently hope that I won't ever have to suffer through an open-world Pokemon instalment.

These were my overall feelings about Sun and Moon, but I'm far from being done with these games, both in playing and writing. I'll see you very soon with more Alolan goodness, dear fellow gamers! Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

7 comments:

  1. When you said "open world pokemon" I started thinking "well, at least they have enough different pokemon to fill the world, so it wouldn't be as bad as most empty open world games". And then I suddenly realized: Digimon World 1 and Digimon World Re Digitize are open world games. Yes they are. Sure, you have a main city and digimon get stronger the farther away you get from said city, but there's barely any restrictions on where you can go (only a few areas are guarded by a boss, and most stuff you unlock are just shortcuts to make traveling easier). So if are sneaky enough you can get a bunch of the recruitable digimon by just walking around, you can also grind for the random items, start your card collection and fish, all without battling. But on the flip side, there's no level cap on training, so it is possible to train up your digimon enough to cruise through the story like it's made of butter. So those games technically are open world, but we don't usually think of them as such because their worlds are much smaller, whereas most modern open world games are huge as all hell.

    So if pokemon went in a similar direction, it might not be so bad. Don't worry though, they had to be dragged kicking and screaming for 20 years to finally change up their old formula. I'm very doubtful they'll change the game so much again in a long time.

    I have not played Sun and Moon yet because I'm waiting for the switch port, I heard it runs like crap on the old 3DS and I'm still not done with Alpha Sapphire (I really hate Hoenn. Not even the remakes save it. Exploring all that water mass is like torture). But there are a bunch of changes I'm really happy with. I've been with the franchise for 18 years, so a break from the gym quest is a welcome place. And it's about time they put a damn story in. They went in the right direction with Black and White, then completely blew it with X and Y (oh, but we got 5 useless rivals in that game to compensate, hooray). Pokemon is an RPG first and foremost, but it never felt like it in that regard.

    There are some other changes I know I'm going to love. HMs finally being gone, knowing which moves are effective with the pokemon you're battling (finally I don't have to have a type chart constantly open in a tab), pokemon refresh, the poke Pelago, etc. I also like how unique each Pokemon feels in Alola and a lot of the new abilities that were introduced, even without playing competitively.

    I also know I'm going to hate a few things, namely the lack of the dexnav, lack of horde battles, pokemon still don't follow you and the fact that they replaced Super Training with Hyper Training. Hyper training that needs the Festival plaza to unlock. A festival plaza that needs interacting with other players in order to advance, grrr. Damnit GF, isn't it enough that some of the most awesome pokemon are locked behind the trading mechanic in order to evolve (I'm still so pissed over not being able to have Trevenant and Gourgeist. Seriously, how mean is it to lock bot grass/ghost pokemon behind that crap? Why not just one?), that some exclusive pokemon were held ransom in the friend safari in X and Y, that making poffins alone is a pain, and now training is locked too? I know Nintendo loves the socializing aspect, but seriously, isn't it my god given right to be an asocial hermit? I play videogames to get away from people. There should at least be an option to access those features in another way, even if it's a way harder option, but nope. Either socialize or you can't enjoy the game you paid for in its fullest >:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Seriously, isn't it my god given right to be an asocial hermit?" I love that sentence. It pretty much sums up my own philosophy when it comes to gaming. The only time I've even been into multiplayer was back in the 16-bit days when it was local. We would huddle on the neighbour's couch and beat the crap out of each other in Street of Rage, or I would spend late winter afternoons cruising through Sonic 3&Knuckles with my sister handling Tails. Those were great days and I have the fondest memories of them. But multiplayer on the internet with strangers? No thanks. I wanna be able to look my challengers in the eye--and elbow them if they play dirty.

      I think the main issue with open worlds is how big the open world in question is. Bigger is not always better indeed, and developers tend to go seriously overboard when it comes to implementing open worlds. I think I would enjoy a tiny open world, but enormous open worlds a la Skyrim or GTA are just a waste of time as far as I'm concerned. I mean, if I want to explore a huge open world, I just have to step outside and cruise the REAL world--and unlike game open worlds, this can actually bring me a treasure trove of experiences and benefits.

      Delete
    2. I also have some fond memories of playing with others, mainly getting my ass handed in Soul Blade by my older sister, playing the multiplayer mini-games in Sonic Heroes with a friend, the one time me and my sister beat Sonic 2 together, and even fond memories of just beating a part my sister couldn't get through in a Buffy game or commenting while my friend showed me the Sims 1 for the first time on her xbox.

      But I value my experiences alone too. And the big difference is, not only was I playing with people I like (not strangers online who, let's face it, have a reputation for being douches), but all those games I mentioned? The multiplayer stuff was all optional. I could play the game alone and feel like I got my money's worth. Not so with pokemon, I've always felt that trade evolution were unfair.

      But it doesn't just happen with pokemon. I hated how so many unlockables were inaccessible to a lone player in little big planet so much I never bought another game in the franchise. I despised how some costumes in Soul Calibur IV were locked behind multiplayer achievements, but thankfully they fixed that in the sequel. I've still never touched SC IV again, while I regularly still go back to its previous entries.

      I'm okay with there being achievements for online stuff, since I don't care for those and they honestly don't matter, but locked content is horrible. I paid the same price as everyone else and I feel I should have the choice to play my single player game alone and get the same content as everyone else who chooses to play the online. I don't want online features to be gone either, since I know many people enjoy them, but I want them to be 100% optional like they were in the good old days. If you have to encourage most players to go online by locking content behind it, then maybe game developers should consider that their online content sucks and does not benefit the game, despite what the marketing department tells them.

      This is one thing that has me worried for digimon's future. So far, this is one other element that it has over Pokemon. There's an online arena, but you can 100% all games without touching it and there's always an offline arena too. But Habu, who has been the director for all digimon games for 8 years except next order*, had said that he would like to focus on online features for a future digimon game. To be fair, he has only said "Like you can play with others or something, we would put that into the new concept.", so maybe he just means something like Fable's 3 co-op. And I want to have faith that he wouldn't lock things like digimon evolutions behind it, but....the DNA digivolutions (where you need two digimon to get an uber one) make the series ripe for such a thing.

      I dunno, I still have faith in the man. He does seem to know what he's doing. But it's still so sad that it seems every franchise feels that they have to cram online features, when it honestly feels unneeded. It feels like they do it just because it's the "cool, new and hip" thing among games nowadays, not because it would benefit the game.

      Delete
    3. As for open world, yes, I agree that the size of the worlds is the real problem. Not only is it easier to get lost and lose your goal in a huge world, but its also way harder for the developers to stretch their resources to make the world interesting. Which leads to the empty bore fests we have today.

      But digimon world shows that if the world is small and the story is flexible and simple enough, it can work. It worked so well that it never even dawned on me that it was open world until recently. And small worlds are all most Japanese developers can afford, and we both know most of them aren't complete idiots. They know that if they can't provide extremely huge worlds to "explore", they have to make some effort to make them memorable.

      How they will do that and will it be good for us is the question. Honestly, I think this matter will be settled for me by Koei Tecmo. They're the perfect example, they're experienced but don't have the resources of say, Square Enix. They also know they have rabid fanbases to please (mainly the warriors fanbase). So how they will handle open world in Toukiden 2 and Dynasty Warriors 9 will be extremely important to me, especially since those games aren't even in the same genre. If even they say "screw it, let's just copy what the others do" and forcefully cram their franchises into something that doesn't fit them, then I'll give up for good. But I hope that isn't the case.

      Also, being a little optimistic here, but I think linear games will most likely never disappear completely despite all of our doom and gloom, since those narratives don't work in an open world no matter how much money they throw at it. And japanese developers love their huge and convoluted narratives too much to give them up completely. Maybe we'll see less linear RPGs, sure, but I don't think they'll go the way of adventure games in the 2000's.

      So who knows, maybe even if the switch encourages more open world RPGs it won't be so bad. Like I said, I'll rest my judgment until I see how KT handles Toukiden 2 and Dynasty Warriors 9.

      Delete
    4. I agree with you regarding the fact that multiplayer options should be optional, especially if they involve online endeavours. Games are purchased by individuals and should be tailored first and foremost for a single player, period. Anything beyond the core single-player experience should be the icing on the cake.

      I'll allow myself to be super-optimistic there: I think gigantic open worlds are just a fad that will disappear with time. Right now gamers are baffled by the feeling of realism and the immensity of the game worlds that are at their fingertips, but sooner or later the novelty will wear off and people will get bored. The exploration of huge open worlds will finally appear as what it actually is, i.e. a huge waste of time. Developers will adapt and offer more compact and fulfilling open worlds that don't need a full year to be navigated and gigantic open worlds will join the long list of past gaming trends.

      "Those narratives don't work in an open world no matter how much money they throw at it": Indeed, even tinier open worlds won't be fit for all gaming genres. But I'm optimistic too and pretty convinced that as gaming progresses, developers will learn to use their tools in the best possible way and manage to craft game worlds that are perfectly tailored to the kind of gaming experience they want to deliver.

      Delete
  2. Also, you think Barry was one of the bad rivals? He is classified as one of the nice ones, and as someone who went from Pokemon Red to Pokemon Pearl, I can testify that. Barry is the type of rival the players didn't want, the type they wanted is the asshole bully type that makes them feel all powerful when they're beaten. I'm not a competitive player and I personally didn't even find Blue to be that much of a jerk (so I was never one of those who named him "Dickbutt"), so I'd rather have a rival with a personality and story significance. Not having played Sun and Moon yet, I have to say my favourite rival is Hugh from Black and White 2, and he barely fought the player at all. But predictably, most players hate him, because who cares about the rival having a stake on the plot and an actual backstory and motivation?

    s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barry is not bad per se, he's just supremely irritating. I couldn't take a step without him popping up and claiming that he would beat me this time around, even though I had wiped the flour with him the last 156 times we battled. He was supposed to be my friend, but he felt more like the random next-door kid with a huge inferiority complex that he tried to compensate for by challenging me constantly. (Ah, the unexpected depths of Pokemon rival psychology)

      I also have to admit that since Diamond/Pearl/Platinum were my entry points into the series, Barry has somehow become the blueprint for all rivals. And he's the only rival who actually managed to rough me up, back in the time when I was not soloing Pokemon games.

      Delete