29/10/2016

World of Final Fantasy: Thanks, but no thanks


And yet another Square Enix RPG that I won't buy. You know, I'm starting to think that the issue may be that I actually don't like Square Enix' current style. The only recent Square Enix games I truly adored were Dragon Quest IX and Bravely Default; everything else has been either a lukewarm experience or an instant hate affair. So maybe I'm simply going to write off Square Enix and stop purchasing their games altogether.

Anyway, I'll keep this post mercifully short. I hated the little I've played of World of Final Fantasy and I certainly won't purchase it. To sum it up, the graphics are lacklustre and the game world is totally devoid of charm, battles are painfully slow and tedious, the camera moves make me nauseous and last but not least, it's a crappy Pokemon rip-off. Square Enix' pilfering of other successful gaming formulas is still going on full force, and it seems that this is indeed their new way of creating games.

Well, I certainly won't support that. Square Enix may be a powerhouse and a gaming legend, but past glory can only carry you on for so long. I don't care how great a developer's resumé is; if their current games don't please me, then I won't invest in them. I did love both Square and Enix RPGs in the past; but in my humble opinion, what they produce nowadays is utter crap. Now I seriously dread playing my newly purchased copy of Dragon Quest VII and having to face yet another disappointment. But hey, what's bought is bought! At least, I avoided spending money on WoFF.

Now I'm going to dig up a funny and light-hearted game to play next, because I really need to relax and unwind after my recent lukewarm gaming experiences. I'll see you soon with more gaming goodness, dear fellow gamers! Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

2 comments:

  1. Funny, I wrote about the same experience! The demo was terrible in my opinion. I want to get immersed in the Final Fantasy world, I really do, but slow random encounters? Please. With the amount of time you spend in battle, those annoying slow pans of the environment would end up being like 20 hours of the playthrough. Yeah no thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, slow random encounters in 2016 are pretty much unacceptable. The demo was incredibly sketchy as a whole, and I think it may have deterred more than a couple of players from purchasing the game-starting with us two. I

      Delete