12/09/2016

Gaming plans


Here's a quick update regarding my overall gaming plans for the months to come. There will be no such things as a list of games I'm planning to play though, but rather general guidelines; and they'll actually be more about peripheral things than about gaming per se. Oh, well. Let's get started!

First, the collecting thing. After five years of super-intensive collecting, I'm burnt out not so much on collecting in itself, but rather on ordering games from the internet, waiting for them and paying those wretched custom fees before being allowed to lay my hands on my precious acquisitions. I'm thus declaring that I will from now on stop ordering games from the internet and rather perform bulk purchases anytime I'm holydaying abroad, which happens often enough to guarantee that I will not miss out on any coveted games. Well, I may have to keep ordering from the internet occasionally, for instance if I want to get my paws on Japanese games; but I will try to keep these instances to a minimum. Less custom fees, more collecting happiness!

When it comes to backup systems, I'm pretty much done purchasing every console that caught my eyes; and as a matter of fact, I now have enough systems to keep gaming for decades—providing that these precious stand the test of time, which remains to be seen. Anyway, my ultimate planned purchase in that department is none other than the gorgeous Pearl White New 3DS XL that is going to be released in November this year. See, I recently reassessed that particular model as I started playing 7th Dragon III on my American New 3DS XL, which I had not used prior to that. As I did so, I discovered that this beast was unexpectedly comfortable to play and strained my thumbs and wrists considerably less that its smaller counterpart, the regular New 3DS. Cherry on the cake, the screen is nearly as wide as a Vita screen and deliciously crisp and sharp. In a nutshell, the New 3DS XL is now my favourite iteration of the whole 3DS lineup, and I absolutely need the European version of that thing of beauty, ergonomy and performance. If I'm in a collecting mood, I may even end up purchasing the pink and orange versions on top of the white.

Let's now move on to the blog matter. I'm very much planning to continue writing about games; but after three years spent on the free side of blogging, I now want my own website, with domain name and hosting fees included. My ethos is pretty much to grind and sweat to get my paws on good things—as my love for grindy RPGs abundantly proves—and I know for a fact that maintaining my own website with my own money is going to prove ten times more satisfying than mooching off Blogger. I'm studying the different hosting options for the time being, although it's quite likely that I will go for the famous and ubiquitous Wordpress. Any advice regarding that matter is most welcome, dear fellow bloggers!

Last but not least is gaming per se. I don't have much of a plan in that department, except to follow my gaming instinct wherever it may lead me, which is as glorious a plan as it gets. Oh, and I will definitely stop trying to play more than one game at once. I'm probably the worst multi-tasker on this hemisphere, and I never get as much pleasure out of a game as when I concentrate solely on said game. Even two games at a time is too much of a hassle for me, so I'll wisely stop trying to be the multi-task wizard I am not and I will, well, play it my way.

With that, my gaming plans for the months to come are laid out. See you soon for my first impressions on 7th Dragon III, dear fellow gamers! And as always, thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

8 comments:

  1. Good to see you fully back into action!
    Solid plans, sort of a New Years resolution but then in gaming, lol. As you know I took the step towards my own hosted site almost a year ago and I blog on Wordpress, so if you need some advice, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Yvonne! :)

      I always though september was a better period for resolutions and potential changes than New Year, to be honest. You're coming back from summer holidays all refreshed, sometimes having reassessed your daily routine in the process. But New Year? It's winter's heart, and all you want is to hibernate. Not the best period to overhaul one's life, if you ask me.

      Thanks a lot for offering your help! :) I'll get in touch with you if need be. ^^

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good plan. While I can't give you any real advice, as I lack any experience with the matter, I will read your articles regardless of where you host them!

    Also, is the New 3DS XL really so much different than a regular 3DS XL? I don't have any New model but the 3DS XL really kills my wrists with its weight and uncomfortable grip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your unwavering support, Sieg! I really, really appreciate it. ^__^

      "Is the New 3DS XL really so much different than a regular 3DS XL?": actually, not quite. They're the exact same weight and roughly the same size. When I was deeming the New 3DS XL a better model, I was comparing it to the regular New 3DS, whose small size often led to a lot of uncomfortable and ultimately painful cramping. The XL model, on the other hand, allows me to fully extend my fingers and makes way for a much more comfortable playing. As for the weight of the XL model(s), I'm currently circumventing this issue by letting the console rest on a pillow as I play, which is something I decided to do anyway to spare my wrists after recovering from my tendinitis. Hope these precisions helped!^__^

      Delete
    2. Ah, thanks for the clarification! Because I really don't feel like a New 3DS is needed, at least for me, since I have no interest in the "exclusive" games it has. Guess I'll stick with my 3DS XL until the end.

      "I'm currently circumventing this issue by letting the console rest on a pillow as I play."
      I do that a lot too! It's specially nice and comfortable when playing stylus-exclusive games.

      Delete
    3. Ha, so I'm no the only pillow user there! :P That trick is awesome. I wish I had started using is years ago; maybe it would even have spared me that cursed tendinitis. Oh, well. What's done is done!

      "Guess I'll stick with my 3DS XL until the end": talking about "the end"... Do you harbour any interest for the still elusive NX? I'd be curious to know your point of view... ^^

      Delete
    4. I really don't know as there isn't any concrete information other than it's some sort of hybrid portable and home console. For me, it really only depends on what games it will have, nothing more! I don't have any brand loyalty whatsoever, I just buy the console or portable that has an interesting game library. For now, I'm more interested in buying a PS4 for Final Fantasy XII HD (since, unfortunately, the Vita port was scrapped) and Disgaea 5 rather than the NX for a sleep inducing open world Legend of Zelda.

      Regardless, the jury is still out on the NX for me. But I'll keep you updated on the NX situation! I still have hope that Nintendo will make the NX, at least, better than the Wii U.

      Delete
    5. Although I currently have no intention of investing in the NX, I have to admit that I'm VERY curious about what the console will look and play like. I cannot wait for Nintendo to unveil it! ^^

      Delete