09/05/2016

Collecting: I've had my fill—well, nearly


Still getting some nice catch—but for how long?
I've been collecting games for five blissful years now and that collecting has been a constant source of joy, happiness and satisfaction. It very much still is, but one thing cannot be denied: I'm slowly but surely starting to feel sated.

This evolution shouldn't be too surprising, mind you. The main motivation behind my collecting was twofold: collecting was partly driven by a burning desire to overcompensate for my years away from gaming and to fulfill at long last my childhood dream of being able to purchase games to my heart's content, and partly driven by a firm intention to constitute a pool of gaming systems and games that would be there for the (re)playing in years to come. It's hard to deny that after five years of intense—and intensive—collecting, these two objectives have been reached several times over. My old frustration of not being able to indulge in my wildest game purchasing fantasies has been totally erased and is now but a distant memory; and with five gaming systems and hundreds of games at my disposal, I have enough gaming material for decades. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if I grew bored of gaming or if arthritis caught my thumbs and wrists before I'm done playing all the games in my collection.

On top of that, collecting games is slowly but surely losing its edge over the years to become business as usual, so to speak. The initial thrill of hunting for games has been dampened by time and hundreds of gaming purchases and I've become a trifle desensitized to the whole thing, going from browsing Ebay and Amazon for hours on end to hunt for the perfect bargain to placing preorders and grouping purchases in a perfectly blasé way. Long gone is the time when getting a good bargain on a game could illuminate my whole day; now I'm purchasing games in a rational and dispassionate way, methodically shearing my wishlist of the moment. Gaming purchases are still a great source of joy and I've not grown jaded towards the whole thing yet, but I could very much become so in the years to come. Heck, I'm already completely burnt out on special editions—what's the next step? I don't want my collecting to go down in my personal gaming history as something that I surfeited myself with, but rather as an pleasant endeavour that I wisely stopped before I got sick of it.

This led me to an crucial decision: I'm going to stop collecting games in the years to come, while collecting is still enjoyable. More specifically, I will ensure that my collecting stops with the 3DS and the Vita. Once these two bail out, I will not shift my collecting to other systems but rather deliberately stop collecting altogether. That doesn't mean that I will stop buying games entirely: I will very likely keep purchasing the odd game here and there, but that will become an isolated occurrence rather than a regular activity. But what about next gen handhelds, you may ask? Well, if there are any AND if I decide to invest in some of them, I will do so in a more carefree and less involved way. I will not collect for them and I will only purchase and play the very best games they have to offer. In a nutshell, future consoles will be nothing more than side dishes, the main courses being my five current handhelds—Vita, 3DS, PSP, DS and GBA, a.k.a. the Fab Five.

The announced end of my collecting endeavours obviously doesn't mean that I will stop playing games and blogging about them—let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, shall we? My precious collection is sizeable enough to provide gaming and writing material for many years to come, so I won't retire from gaming and blogging any time soon. Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

6 comments:

  1. So, you're ending up burned on collecting so many games? It's normal, so many interesting stuff was released in recent times and even in the rest of the current year! The same thing happened to me, so I try to limit my purchases to one or two games per month and try to complete the backlog I have right now.
    You should focus on what games you have right now and play those that catch your eye. I mean, amidst your gigantic collection there should be some games that you're dying to play when you bought them but never started them!

    By the way, what's the second game in the photo of your post? I recognize the other 3 except for the one with the light green boxart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I can totally feel that you've been through this too! :D Your second paragraph is particularly spot-on: I've lost the count of the number of games I bought with the intention of playing them immediatly and squirreled away in a drawer instead. :P

      I definitely intend to focus more on my current collection and let my gaming instinct do the choosing, as always. I want to give myself the chance to enjoy my games to the fullest and to actually play all of them, which won't ever be possible if I maintain my current purchasing rate! And let's be honest, I'm getting a bit tired of collecting. A break will be most beneficial!

      The second game is Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna! ^___^

      Delete
    2. Considering your collection and your solo run addiction, you're going to take a long, long while until you're finished (presuming you'll finish it someday)!

      So you already imported Setsuna? That was fast! Guess I'll wait for your article on it, before I'll buy it myself.

      Delete
    3. Given how many games I own and how many games I usually play in a year, I roughly have enough gaming material for the next 25 years, which is quite a wondrous feeling. In a good way, obviously. ^__^

      Delete
  2. > collecting was partly driven by a burning desire to overcompensate for my years away from gaming and to fulfill at long last my childhood dream of being able to purchase games to my heart's content, and partly driven by a firm intention to constitute a pool of gaming systems and games that would be there for the (re)playing in years to come

    ...wow. You just said exactly what I've been trying to figure out about myself for years.

    I didn't play a whole lot of RPGs growing up, and I feel like I missed out during my most time-plentiful years. It's become more evident now that the reason I'm constantly looking at tackling my backlog as a "rushed" commitment, is because I'm obsessed with the idea of finishing so many games, so I know I didn't miss out on them.

    At the same time, I keep getting new games because I want to have them before they get too expensive, so in case I ever want to play them, I have them.

    Whew! It's like a load off my shoulders...

    That being said, aside from the 3DS, of which I've stockpiled a respectable collection of games, I haven't owned a console since the Wii, so the NX will be my first new console in a while, and I plan on doing some serious damage on that one. Can't wait -- this is gonna be a great year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most of us RPG fans experienced frustration during our formative years, be it because we couldn't purchase as many games as we wanted or because games were not available in our countries. Collecting physical games and systems is a great way to get over that frustration and to ensure that we don't have to endure it again!

      I'd like to be as excited as you about the NX, but nothing I've read so far gives me reasons to be thrilled. But let's wait and see!

      Delete