08/03/2016

The Legend of Legacy: The importance of guarding well


Amongst many other things, that is. There are so many interesting elements to discover in that game that I feel like I've barely brushed the surface of that pool of knowledge despite having been playing for a good 26 hours now. Legend of Legacy is getting deeper by the hour—and the boss fight—and I feel like I could never get enough of it. How exciting!

Guarding has been the key to both my progression and my fighting style so far. After I finally got my two Specials and equipped my lead character Garnet with them, it turned out that this purchase was not enough to turn the tables and allow me to gain the upper hand in fights. In utter desperation, I decided to experiment with formations. The Pegasus formation available from the get-go had never functioned well with my characters, because Owen was alloted the Guard stance by default yet was not sturdy enough to guard efficiently. But, lo and behold, I discovered at that fated moment that stances could be changed at will. Oh, the joy! I put Garnet on Guard duty and immediately noted a staggering change for the better. Since Garnet had the best guard stats at that point, along with the best equipment, she did a much better job at guarding than Owen and I could progress efficiently at long last, taking down powerful bosses along the way. The difficulty spike present at the beginning of more or less every single dungeon was not a problem anymore, which allowed me to explore more and to figure out what I was suppose to do, i.e. (spoiler) get the three Singing Shards and reactivate the three elemental temples to open up a whole new stretch of land bristling with new dungeons to explore. (End of spoiler)

Since then, everything has been going fine and dandy. Meurs and Owen have learnt powerful attacks that can target several foes at once, which is incredibly convenient to wrap up fights quickly, and the whole crew has been gaining SP, HP and stats with a pleasant regularity. Garnet has become the ultimate Guard master, with the unavoidable consequence that her attacking abilities took a step back. She hits quite weakly compared to her foils, but I'm planning to leave things that way and to keep concentrating on her guarding skills first and foremost. It's quite a pleasure to patiently build up my team and to see it become more and more efficient and specialized by the dungeon.

I'm still far from being done with team-building, mind you. I've not touched elemental abilities so far, and the Whispering Shards have remained safely tucked away in my inventory. I was actually not planning to touch them at all, since my tweaked Pegasus formation was working so fine, but I've encountered a formidable foe that is going to require a fair bit of elemental action. This foe is none other than the Green Dragon standing at the bottom of the Bogsaur Marsh; and if forum topics regarding this beast are to be believed, he is a Mont Blanc-sized difficulty spike in its own right. Fair enough; after beating every single complimentary boss offered by the game, I needed a bit of a challenge to spice things up. Bring it on, game! My next goal is to gain and level up elemental abilities and to devise a winning strategy to take down this cursed Green Dragon. I managed to beat all the other bosses of the game to a pulp, even the ones that seemed impossible to beat at first sight—and fight—so there is no reason things will turn out differently for this one. I'll see you after a couple of hours of grinding, fellow gamers!

In the meantime, I can expand on more general matters about the game. I'm really delighted with the importance given to strategies and carefully laid out party building in Legend of Legacy. Brute level-grinding and powerful equipment can only take you so far, and that won't be very far indeed. Substantials stats increases as well as brand-new abilities can only be gained when fighting enemies with levels similar or superior to the ones boasted by your crew, so levelling up by fighting weak foes in the first dungeons is definitely not an option to overcome the game's numerous difficulty spikes. It is crucial to find a fighting formation that works for you and to reinforce it by focused level-grinding—all the more so are there are only three party members, which means that they have to be both specialized and versatile. The level of party customization is absolutely perfect, with just the right number of options available to make one want to experiment with weapons, stances and party combinations without feeling overwhelmed. With some clever level-grinding, i.e. against foes with similar or superior levels, gaining new abilities and stats increases fast and efficiently is a piece of cake. En passant, I regret the fact that weak enemies were not granted a fleeing behaviour: they throw themselves at me even when they are obviously too weak to beat my crew, and since it's impossible to flee battles without being sent back to the beginning of the dungeon, I have to wrap up these fights even though it's pretty obvious that I won't gain any stats increase or items from them. Although it gives me the opportunity to luxuriate in my hard-earned superiority over foes that used to tower over me, it's also a huge time-sinker when I want to roam old dungeons, and I could have done without this hindrance. Oh, well.

There is still much more I want to say about Legend of Legacy, but I'm depleted my writing mojo for the day. See you thus in a couple of days, dear fellow gamers! Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment