08/02/2016

Collector's delight: Never say never


Maybe I'm just weak. Or maybe I cannot help but love Nintendo after all. Or maybe my collector's instincts are just too overwhelming for my own good. Or maybe all of the above. Whatever the answer, the facts are here in all their empirical glory: a couple of weeks after I claimed that I would probably never buy a Japanese Nintendo 3ds, I did exactly that and purchased one. Behold my gorgeous Metallic Red Japanese Nintendo 3ds and its killer app!


To be honest, 7th Dragon III played a major part in my decision to purchase a Japanese 3ds. I saw a couple of screenshots and videos and instantly fell in love with it; and since there is virtually no hope of seeing that colourful dungeon crawler localized, I decided to take matters into my own hands and to get said hands on that game—and on a system to play it. Granted, I could have used one of the many region-lock bypasses available; but Nintendo has a way of countering them on a regular basis, and purchasing a game means nothing to me if I do not have the full certitude that I can play it on and on as years pass. Now, let's take a closer look at this game that single-handedly prompted me to break my word and purchase yet another Nintendo 3ds:


Look at this, people! Leaflets!! Covered with gorgeous, vibrant art! Seriously, I could nearly weep with happiness. Sure, these leaflets are ridiculously thin compared to the ones offered by games from the previous generation, but they are there, and that's more than we usually get in the West. And that Sega logo... It brings back fond memories of the time when Sega was ubiquitous, and I couldn't help but smile when I saw it. Even though Sega has this infuriating way of snubbing us Westerners. Oh, well.

The good consequence of that purchase—apart from the fact that I can play 7th Dragon III anytime now—is that it somehow opened the floodgates for the collecting of Japanese 3ds games. I have no reasons to hold back anymore and I can now purchase such games without a second though, and I firmly intend to do so. More potential material to sate my collector's cravings, yay! If you know of a must-have Japanese 3ds title, feel free to let me know in the comments. Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

4 comments:

  1. But Sega announced that they're actually bringing this one over, though. Regardless, it's always a good way to train your japanese! I just hope the resolution is better than the PSP since, in those, some kanji were a pain to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I didn't know about this!!! Now that's SO ironic, like karma playing a trick on me or something. Like I said, my collector's instincts are sometimes too strong for my own good... :P

      Nevertherless, I'm happy to learn about that unexpected localization! Like you said, it will be a good opportunity to train my japanese. And at least, I can now freely purchase other Japanese 3ds games.^^

      Delete
  2. So you've decided to join the Japanese 3DS club? Believe me, even if the game will eventually come West, you won't regret it. It's such fun and a challenge too, because of the language. Your wallet might not enjoy it so much though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! Better late than never, especially since original Japanese 3ds are getting quite cheap, which allowed me to purchase this one without hurting my wallet too much.

      The prospect of being able to export Japanese 3ds games is a thrilling one, indeed! I may not buy tons of them on the long run, but even 10-or-so would amply justify the purchase of that Japanese 3ds. That would still be more than my whole Game Gear library back in the days!^^

      Delete