29/01/2016

Collector's delight: Latest catch


A lot of special editions of high-profile Vita and 3ds games have been released lately and just as many are slated for release in the next months—to my utter delight. I have a couple of these appetizing packs pre-ordered already; but for now, let's concentrate on the ones that already graced my letterbox. Without further ado, here's my latest collection catch!

Let's start with the "Lionheart Edition" of Trails of Cold Steel. This special edition comes with a very reasonable price tag, and there's a reason for it: it is actually quite lacklustre. The case could have been beautiful, had it not been marred by a bunch of garish logos, and the Erebonian Empire pin is just a bauble that could as well not have been there for all the value it adds to this special edition. I was expecting the 140-pages artbook to be a work of art similar to the one included in the Silver Edition of Ys: Memories of Celceta, with strategies and a full description of the game world included. We're talking about the same developer and same publisher in both cases, so there were good reasons to hope, right? Alas, my hopes were dashed by the actual content of Trails on Cold Steel's artbook. That deceptively thick tome is all fluff and contains nothing more than mundane descriptions of the characters along with a few pages of concept art and tons of nondescript illustrations that bring strictly nothing to the gaming experience per se. In a nutshell, I'm disappointed, and I think Nihon Falcom and XSeed could have done better.


Then comes the special edition I couldn't have done without for the life of me, namely the one and only physical release of Atelier Escha and Logy Plus on Western shores. Despite having been released hardly ten days ago, this special edition is already quite hard to find and the prices will probably skyrocket before long, so I'm glad I managed to secure a copy on time. Collectors must be early birds to get their paws on coveted games, indeed! Putting aside the fact that this special edition is made valuable by the fact that it is the sole physical edition of the game available in the West, there is nothing too extraordinary to be found in this lovely paper box starring the titular characters. It's your run-of-the-mill special edition with soundtrack, poster and a small 38-pages artbook that certainly didn't require hours of work.


One last paragraph for my very first Japanese Vita game, the roguelike Omega Labyrinth. I decided not to wait for an hypothetical Western release, especially since that release may never happen given the risqué content of the game, and took instead my first steps into the vast world of Japanese Vita games. And blimey, didn't I discover a shocking truth whilst doing so: Japanese Vita games are insanely expensive. All the more so if they are loaded with fan-service. My copy of Omega Labyrinth cost me a whopping $60, and many Japanese Vita games boast similar prices. And unfortunately, there's no hope of witnessing a price drop once the Vita's tenure is over; if anything, it would probably be the opposite. Not that it matters, mind you: I was surprised by these steep prices, but they certainly won't stop me from purchasing more Japanese Vita games. There are so many inviting Japanese exclusives that it would be a shame not to get my collector's paws on them, really.


That's all for this post, fellow gamers; I'll see you soon with more mouth-watering special editions. Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

4 comments:

  1. Oh very nice catch! I'm a bit jealous of the Esha and Logy edition, they look so good. but I felt, with my backlog of Atelier games, that I couldn't even persuade myself I neede it, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I guess you're going to purchase the digital edition, though? It would be a pity to miss an Atelier game.^^

      This limited edition is a thing of beauty, indeed. I love the aesthetics and the colour palette, and just gazing at the box makes me want to play the game! Too bad Koei Tecmo didn't release physical editions of the other three Atelier games for the Vita. I would have purchased them without thinking twice!

      Delete
  2. Some games are hugely expensive to import. It's a matter of how old the game is and from which store you buy it. For instance, when I imported Lost Dimension I paid 19€ for everything but Phantasy Star Nova costed a whooping 50+€. The same thing with PS3 games: Legasista and EX Troopers costed me around 20€ each, while Caladrius or Shining Resonance costs 60~70€!

    Any specific reason why you bought Omega Labyrinth, though? There are numerous "risque" japan-only games on the Vita. Or were you simply itching for a roguelike?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! :D I import all my games and the price variations are insane. But it's also pretty interesting to study all the factors that play a part in the pricing of an imported game.

      The roguelike itch, definitely!^^ I've played it a couple of minutes and it's really good, very similar to Sorcery Saga in terms of presentation and gameplay style. I think I'm gonna love it!

      Delete