24/10/2015

Collector's delight: A most divine edition


In the wake of my recent purchase of the FFCC: Echoes of Time DSi, I started hunting for other interesting editions of the system. To my surprise, there are actually not so many of them, and it seems that the DSi cannot hold a candle to the New 3ds when it comes to swarming the market with countless special editions—judging whether this is a good or a bad thing is left to everyone's discretion. At any rate, it turned out that only one edition of the system was gorgeous enough to capture my eye, namely the SaGa 2 special edition that had already been on my radar for quite some time. The Kingdom Hearts edition turned out to be too Disney-ish for my taste upon close inspection, and the Ace Attorney edition looks plain weird and doesn't please my retinas in the slightest. I already own the Pokemon White edition, so this SaGa 2 DSi that I snatched for a very fair price may well be the last special edition of the DSi that I purchase. Anyway, behold the gorgeousness of that piece of kit!


It comes packed with the game, which I would have LOVED to see localized. Not that this will stop me from playing it sooner or later, mind you; I loved the Gameboy version so much that not playing this remake is simply unthinkable. The console itself looks amazing with its hamonious colour palette and its blend of matte and glossy textures.

While I'm at it, I may as well mention two other collecting-oriented purchases I've made lately, starting with the limited physical edition of Ar Nosurge Plus. I was patiently waiting for a discount on that game on the PSN store when I learnt that limited physical copies of the game had been pressed for the North-American market. I knew right away that I needed one of these, and a couple of days later, a brand-new copy had joined my collection.


Although I'm delighted to own a physical copy of such a major release (Vita-wise, that is), I'm none too pleased with the goodies that came packed with the game. We're talking about a pin badge, a cleaning cloth, a poster and a sticker sheet, all things entirely useless that won't bring a thing to the gameplay experience and are nothing but cheap items to boot. This is the typical example of a half-hearted attempt at putting together a special edition: instead of going for it full force and crafting a valuable package with useful and gorgeous feelies that could enhance the whole gameplay experience and strengthen the player's love for the game, the publisher threw in a handful of trinkets sporting the game's colours to justify a higher price tag and make it look like they were selling something more valuable than the game and its box alone. Well, the trick didn't work with me, and I would have preferred either the game alone with no bibelots or a full-blown special edition with strategy guide, soundtrack and the like. Oh, well.

Last but not least, here is my brand-new Asian copy of Moe Chronicle! I had written this kinky first-person dungeon crawler off as a distant dream that could never be played, until I learnt about Asian editions sporting english and the possibility to order such editions from Play-Asia. Next thing I knew, the game had joined my precious collection, ready to be played and enjoyed to the fullest.


This was my first purchase ever from Play-Asia, but it certainly won't be the last—all the more so as these excellent sellers were kind enough to include a discount coupon in the parcel, despite the fact that I was a brand-new customer. Now that's what I called stellar business practices! I was already planning to buy more games from them, but this unexpected kind gesture motivates me to do so even more.

That's all for the time being! Since I love Demon Gaze so much, I was just that close to ordering the special edition of that game, but I managed to restrain myself. I already own a physical copy of the game, after all, and the goodies are not that great anyway. There are enough games waiting to be purchased not to waste my money on purchasing games that I already own! As for future purchases, there is not much on my radar right now. The special editions of the New 3ds slated for release until Christmas could have interested me if not for my dwindling love for the system, so the only 'special' I'm looking forward to getting my paws on is the Lionheart Edition of Trails of Cold Steel, which packs a yummy-looking artbook for a price hardly higher than the price of game alone. I am so getting it, I am! Until then, thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

10 comments:

  1. Dunno if you know this, but Square Enix has already trademarked the last SaGa game in Europe (the one for PS Vita). So there's a very good chance we'll get another localized SaGa game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've heard about this, and I'm quite thrilled! And we're also getting Legend of Legacy on the 3ds, which is said to be a spiritual successor to the Final Fantasy Legend trilogy... It's about time that we get more of this little-known series!

      Delete
  2. Damn, that SaGa DS looks sexy. Really nice find!

    By the way, Final Fantasy Legend are SaGa games too. They were just renamed for the USA/EUR version because of brand recognition. The same thing happened to the first Mana game (later remaked as Sword of Mana for the GBA, which you have already played). And the SaGa 2 DS is the remake of the second Final Fantasy Legends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, forgot to say that I only heard good thing about Moero Chronicles. An over the top fanservice game with some really good gameplay.
      Funny how these so called "fan service games" have, generally speaking, better gameplay than most "regular" games. Oh, well.

      Delete
    2. "By the way, Final Fantasy Legend are SaGa games too": I know!^^ I elaborated on that point in my first post about FFL2, if you remember well. :)

      I do agree that fan-servicy games usually have a very solid gameplay, if not stellar in some cases! It may be that the developers of such games feel compelled to craft a excellent gameplay in order to avoid being accused of selling only fan-service...

      Delete
    3. Not that it gets the poor developers very far, since there is such vitriol towards fan-service that many gamers will spurn them based on that and not even give the gameplay a chance. Even if the fan-service is barely there to begin with, like demon gaze, or is actually funny, like Hyperdimension Neptunia. Oh well, it's a nice treat for us pervs and open minded gamers.

      If the importing taxes weren't so terrible in my country, I'd definitely give Moe Chronicles a try. Maybe some kind soul will port it to the European PSN one day.

      Delete
    4. Actually, I just checked and the game is pretty damn cheap. With the cheap shipping it only comes to 43 euros, so it may pass through customs without me having to pay tax and wait a million years. Or may not. That's my problem with importing outside the EU.

      If the price of the game ever reduces to 30 euros, then I can definitely buy it.

      Delete
    5. Yeah, it's really like critics have become allergic to fan-service altogether after tolerating it for years... I mean, there was already some fan-service at work in oldies like Street Fighters 2, Seiken Densetsu 3 and many more! I guess it's bothering them more now that games are not masses of pixels anymore and thus more "realistic". Or maybe it's a case of "too much of a good thing", given how late games have ramped up the fan-service meter! Oh, well.

      Are you checking Moe Chronicles on Play-Asia? Those guys are even better than the PSN store, with constant bargains on many games! I got my own copy for 40$, and it was quite the steal! =D

      Delete
  3. Aaaah it feels so good when you can purchase a rare edition that you have to struggle to get ! Il only makes it feel better :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's soooo true!! The thrill of hunting for rare games and/or special editions is one of the best part of collecting! =D

      Delete