06/09/2015

Collector's delight: A most purrfect edition


Although my collecting endeavours regarding the Nintendo DS are mostly over now, I still occasionally purchase a DS-related item: the odd RPG I've never heard of because it was so confidential, or a comfy pouch to host one of my many systems. Or, in this case, a brand-new system stamped with a series' name. Behold the gorgeous "Echoes of Time" Nintendo DSi!


It is a Japanese exclusive, and I became aware of its existence as I was idly browsing the Nintendo DS section of Ebay to check the current prices of DSis. I was instantly struck by the beauty of that piece of kit and searched for it on Ebay, but that search produced only a couple of unsatisfying results. I then turned to good ol' Amazon, and to my utter surprise, a search there yielded dozens of results. I had half-feared that this special edition would be hard to find nowadays, but that doesn't seem to be the case—all the better for me, as I promptly secured myself a fairly priced copy. That purchase was not motivated by an undying love for the Final Fantasy franchise or the Crystal Chronicles sub-series, since I know both of them very little, but rather by the sheer looks of the system. I love white consoles as a rule, and the fact that this one sported a picture of a stylized cat only added to my infatuation.


I was not disappointed when discovering the system in all its physical glory. It has a pleasant matte finish and is ever-so-slightly grainy to the touch, like most brand-new DSi. This little beast just looks gorgeous overall, and although it was mostly intended as yet another backup system, I may actually indulge in using it every once in a while.

While this was the first Japanese DSi I ever purchased, it may not be the last. I've had my eye on the SaGa 2 special edition for a very long time, and the Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days edition looks gorgeous too; and I'm pretty sure that there are other beautiful special editions out there that I've not even heard of. Yet. I'm going to hunt for them, and purchase them if they please my retinas. A collector's work is never done, indeed! Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a seriously stylish piece of kit. I've never bought a special edition console/handheld before, but this one is really lovely. Some are just garish and tacky (like the Zelda New 3DS coming out soon) but this is simple and tasteful. You have good taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!^^ Overall, I like the sobriety of the special edition DSis. They usually stick to black or white, and pastel colours for the extra ornaments. The polar opposite of the special editions of the 3ds and New 3ds, which luxuriate in garishness! =D

      Delete